• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: (Mac) Importing Duplicates created with -2, -3 filename

Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic is importing duplicates, not just -2, but also -3 duplicates. 

Macbook Pro 16" 2021, 64gb RAM, 4 TB drive, macOS Monterey 12.3.1

Lightoom Classic v 11.3, Camera Raw v 14.3

To import, take SD card out of camera, put into the card reader on the MacbookPro, click import, review images in main screen and note count (300), check do not import duplicates, identify a brand new Destination folder for the images/videos, click import. Images/videos import, folder opens, 900 images shown (xxx.RAF, xxx.RAF-2, xxx.RAD-3). The issue is inconsistent, some SD cards only loaded once, some loaded -2, and some loaded -3). 

Images are loaded through LR onto an external drive. Computer is plugged in (so no unique power settings). 

SD card had previously been reformated (so clean before use) and only new data on the SD card to be imported. 

The issue started after the most recent 11.3 update of LR. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds really strange. Just for a test, try creating a folder on your desktop and copy all the photos from the SD card to that folder first. I usually do it this way and select all the photos on my memory card and drag them over to the newly created folder. THen remove the SD card from the card reader. THen try opening LRC and importing.

I have Monterey and LRC 11.3 and mine are importing correctly, however I have seen this type of import before on some friends machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this suggestion. It is a backwards way of doing this. The system should work and used to work just fine, but you are right. I could move the files to the drive where they will live (which is not on my computer) and then "add" to LR that way. I'll give it a try the "normal" way after my next trip and then break down and do it this way if it doesn't work. I love wildly inconsistent technology. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just a note - this is not really a backwards way of importing: I dont drag copy my photos from the memory card to their "future "location on my exgternal drive. I literally put a folder on my desktop, drag copy the photos from he memory card into that folder. THen I eject the card. I then laucnh LRC, and import the images in that folder into my LRC catalog and tell LRC to move them to the external drive into a specific location. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May seem like an extra step, however, if something were to happen, power goes out while importing, cable glitch to external drive, or who knows what technology blip in the continuum could happen, my original files are still on the card as well as in the folder on my desktop. Once LRC has imported them and vopied them to the external drive in their future home,, I also make a backup of the photo files on that external drive to another external drive. (so I have at least 2 copies of the originals ) Then I can safely reformat my memory card, and also delete that temporary folder of images on my internal drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick. I was specifically asked to create a new thread so I did. The problem I am having is from April 2022 on a fully updated LR and was NOT fixed by the 2020 update. So your merging my thread into this one was not helpful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've run a couple of test imports today

• LrC 11.3
  • Mac OS 12.2.1
  • Images on SD Card Formatted In Camera
  • 1325 Images Raws from (Canon 5D Mark IV)
  • Using External Card Reader
  • Images to Desktop and Images to Hard Drive Folder respectively on each test. 
  • Both tests imports resulted in 1325 images in the folder set 
  • Neither photoset contains a -2 or a -3 file

It might be prudent to post a screenshot of your Import Dialog and the settings used which generated the duplicates. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well dude, I'm having issues...

First, if the images are in a folder, LR creates a duplicate subfolder on import with the same images in that folder. So now they occupy twice the space. Why? 

Then I deleted that bogus folder and created a "canon raw" subfolder under the main folder. Seemed to work, but then when I exported and looked at them in photoshop all the files had a "-2" after them indicating they were duplicated - Again! Why?

So, then I deleted all the duplicates out of the Canon Raw folder. So, only the originals remain. At first LR told me files couldn't be found. And now LR is associating all the photos in the library with the original files - but the metadata on the righthand side tells me the file name is 054A2036-2.CR3 even though the file in the folder does not have the -2 associated with it. 

Whatever. If I wanted duplicate raw images I would do it myself. I don't need LR duplicating my files before I even start working on them. Please fix this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an excellent explanation of the problem I am having, and I have a
similar setup. I’ve been following this thread for ages and have not come
across a fix yet. Updating Lightroom and removing old version of ps didn’t
help. It appears randomly and the only workaround I’ve found is to insert
the memory card, wait for *all* images on the memory card to load
previews, and *then* checking “no duplicates.”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried what I suggested with a new "to be imported" folder created on yoru desktop?

THen you drag copy the images from the memory card to that folder, then eject the memory card.

THen launch LRC, select import and proceed.

My computer set ups are similar, (I run 3 separate computers for myself and two others) and this has been working since LR version 1!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get an intermittent issue where I import images from a memory card and lightroom creates two images for each singlefile I have taken with the camera.  I rename my files on import into a newly created folder and the numbers are sequential, but numbers 1 and 2 are the same images, 3 and 4 the same, etc.

I can delete the images from the catalog and re-import and it won't happen a second time.  I've taken a screenshot of the latest import settings when this has happened.

Lightroom Classic version: 11.2 [ 202201281441-a5b5f472 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-GB
Operating system: Mac OS 12
Version: 12.1.0 [21C52]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 12
Processor speed: 2.2GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
Built-in memory: 16,384.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 16,384.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 2,344.0 MB (14.3%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 43,325.6 MB
Memory cache size: 1,963.9MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 14.2 [ 1028 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 1363MB / 8191MB (16%)
Camera Raw real memory: 1366MB / 16384MB (8%)
Displays: 1) 3360x2100, 2) 6016x3384

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: AMD Radeon Pro 555X

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LIughtroom was just updated to LRC 11.3. Try the update and try importing again.

I have tried over and over, and I do not get the duplicates.

I am using Mac OS 12.3.1 and LRC 11.2 and 11.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. First, if the images are in a folder, LR creates a duplicate folder with the same images in that folder. So now they occupy twice the space. Why? 

Then I deleted that bogus folder and created a "canon raw" subfolder under the main folder. Seemed to work, but then when I exported and looked at them in photoshop all the files had a "-2" after them indicating they were duplicated - Again! Why?

So, then I deleted all the duplicates out of the Canon Raw folder. So, only the originals remain. At first LR told me files couldn't be found. And now LR is associating all the photos in the library with the original files - but the metadata on the righthand side tells me the file name is 054A2036-2.CR3 even though the file in the folder does not have the -2 associated with it. 

Whatever. If I wanted duplicate raw images I would do it myself. I don't need LR duplicating my files before I even start working on them. Please fix this bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you list what OS and which Lightroom you are using? Also give us an idea of your storage set up, where you keep the LR catalog , the photo files, etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did help another user a long time ago where he had all these duplicates. I spent 4plus hours trying to figure out where and how TGIS had happened. He had those -2 and -3 versions also . I checked all the settings and in the end, I uninstalled the LR application and all the system files relating to LR, and downloaded a new LR and installed. We tried importing a new set of images, and it worked. So we then tried importing more from another memory card and it was no longer making duplicates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may or may not correct the problem for you going forward. Could be a setting that is not working the way you thought,could be a conflict somewhere. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I have looked high and low for an answer to a similar problem, one that is not consistent. I am running the latest version of LR Classic on a Mac Studio M1 Max, latest updates. I have for years used Nikon Transfer 2 to import RAW images from a card reader (now CFExpress); upon transferring the files Transfer 2 opens LR's import window and I then import to LR. I do it this way because I have multiple cameras and I use a date nomenclature for folders (eg., 230416) that is not available in LR. This what happened yesterday, and please, no instructions on how to "properly import photos to LR, " I've been using it and doing it this way for years, and I know the way to import directly to LR when mounting a camera or card:

The files listed in the import window in Transfer 2 had the proper file names, i.e., Z9A_9102.NEF. When the LR Import window opens with those same images, they have the correct name (as above). When continuing and importing into LR, LR adds "-2" to the file name. These are not duplicates, they have not been improted previously and the setting in LR is to not import duplicates. 

I have been through all the LR Settings and LR Catalog Settings, and there's only one setting that I just changed to test the import process again, and that is under Catalog Settings > File Handling > Import Sequence Numbers. It was set to "Import Number "1" prior to import and I changed it to "0" and the files were then imported properly to the correct folder with the correct file name. Not sure if that is the answer until I take some more pics and import again.

Now, there is another issue that is semi-related to this, bear with me. It is inconsistent: Recently when importing from the same memory card with the same process, LR created the proper folder in the catalog, i.e., 230415, but left it empty and then created the same folder in my Mac User "Pictures" folder and placed the images there. I find that even more disconcerting as I use a NAS that synchonizes my drives with images with other drives on two other computers and when I go to one and find that the folder is in Lightroom, I can't access those images because they are on the boot drive in my user folder on my main computer. I have been through the settings and the LR Import dialogue and can find nothing to affect that. But maybe I'm missing something. I have also been through the Transfer 2 options and there is nothing to affect the above.

Please create a new thread if necessary as I am not sure this is the right one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just took 4 new pics and imported them into LR as described above (Transfer 2 > LR Import). In the import window the files were named properly, Z9A_9189.NEF and so on. When imported, the '-2' was added to the file name. Not duplicates, the "do not import duplicates" was checked. Clearly there is some bug in LR that is causing this. I cannot say exactly when or with which update this began, but it was not doing this until recently. And I reiterate, this is very disconcerting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines