• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P:(Masking) Invert Mask remember state

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use masks to blur parts of my images, and in 99% of cases I use them inverted. Older version memorized this and the new version does not memorise the fact I used inverted mask just seconds ago, so for every new mask I have to additionally click on invert checkbox, which together with the fact I have to use masks now and create new ones with additional clicks, slows down my workflow. 

Please include Invert option to be remembered by Lightroom mask from the previous usage of the mask. 

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
22 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bottom of mask adjustments panel, a option to automatically reset sliders.

Oh, and see:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/adjustment-brush-need-help/m-p/12500179...

P.S. watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Fld8eEHsE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but i know this option. I do not want to automatically reset them so I keep this box unchecked to remember my settings and Lightroom does not remember I used inverted mask. It used to remember that along with other adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But thanks very much for the videos, very helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very imporant update.  We need to be able to remember the last invert state of the radial gradient.  Just have an option check box for this.  Because I almost always use the radial gradient outside, not inside the circle.  So I always have to make a gradient and then invert it.  If I could tell the system to remember the state of the invert option, I could skip an entire key stroke every time.  That is a huge time saver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, this is a huge issue that has added a lot of unecessary bloat to my workflow.  If the sliders are set to remember previous state, that should reflect the invert state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess if you plan to repeat a certain kind of local adjustment onto a large batch of images, the efficient workaround is to set AutoSync and highlight all these images. Then add whatever suitable global adjustment, and perhaps multiple and complex local adjustment too (inverted, AI detected, intersected....) onto the active image.

By batch-adding masks onto all those images, as inverted or combined etc, in one go: you have sidestepped the need to repeat all those steps from scratch image by image. What does remain is to then - as needed - go back and individualise the location, size, rotation of that already-present radial mask or gradient mask within each image / re-generate (Update) its AI selection of Sky or Subject / apply whatever further brushed masking overrides etc this image uniquely calls for.

Alternatively a named mask can be made on the active image, with the desired adjustments and inversion and such, and then - by name - chosen to be Synced into other images after the fact. This can then be moved around as needed within each of those other images; but again, the initial work of making that mask with the desired slider settings and inversion etc, will have already been done for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, no, no... please don't try to create overly complex workaround in order to "justify" not fixing a bug / adding a simple feature. I am calling it a "bug" because it earlier versions, the state of masking tool inversion was remembered.

The reason this workaround is useless /  too much work in most circumstances is that we don't want the state to be remembered in order to simulate adjustment sync. We want it to be remembered because it is a user preference to use (for example) radial filter to affect the inner area of the circle. I do not have a specific batch of images, that I want to apply the filter to. I have a specific usage style in which when I want to apply radial filter, I want it to affect the inside.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A workaround is not there to "justify" any peculiarity of the software. It is offered as an alternative way to work efficiently despite this peculiarity, pending a fix (which may never come - it is not up to me to decide this).

I agree a radial mask Invert state ought to be remembered for the next time you place a radial mask. The point is well enough made to be self-evident IMO. I am less sure about this default also setting the invert state of the next usage of (say) a brush mask; to me that should be separately managed. One may habitually want different things for each type. Yet this would be inconsistent with the behaviour of the adjustment slider settings, which are remembered or else reset, as defaults affecting the next mask placed of whichever type (and is that what we want, or not). So there are UI complexities within complexities here, as so often.

Regardless, speaking for myself, if there is ever some standardised sequence of manual actions that I find myself running through repeatedly, I will explore ways to transfer more of that repetitive load onto the computer to do. The computer loves that kind of stuff: it never seems to get bored 😄 .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I feel like workarounds are sometimes delaying the real resolutions of peculiarities 🙂. So if you (in addition to suggesting workaround) could push this issue a bit higher up the bug hunting chain, it would be great.

Touching on the other masks... I feel like brush mask has a bit of a different logic than gradients. Gradient as a tool itself can have inverted effect. That is easy and can be easily understood. Meanwhile when using brush mask... you are actually not switching inversion state, as the chekbox would suggest... you are doing a one time stateless inversion of the mask, just as if you would press Ctrl + I in photoshop. Because the brush tool always adds to the selection no matter the inversion state. For brush mask, it should actually not be a checkbox, but a button. That is a peculiarity, yes 🙂. But it is a one that you can get easily used to, once you know how it works. The point is that "Brush mask Invert" does not invert a tool, so there is nothing to remember.

Not sure what you mean by "Adjustment sliders", but if you mean "Exposure" etc.... well... it is a different category. Adjustment slider positions are specific to each picture's content... mostly. "Invert" checkbox is specific to the user's style of using the tool... mostly. Each picture is different, one's style is not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh god yes, for the love of god. Just make LR remember the invert state again. No idea why they decided to remove this. In my editing workflow, I always apply radial filters last, and I want the state inverted 99% of the time. It's the only reason I have to pick my hands up off the keyboard and it's driving me crazy. 😓

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a very long time and Lightroom masks still don't remember the invert state. It's frustrating. This is such a tiny but important change to the functionality of masks. I use radial filters on invert, literally, 100% of the time. It is clear that Adobe understands users have a variety of styles in how they work with their software, but are arbitrarily assuming that everyone uses masks in the same way. And, from mask to mask, they do remember the state of other settings, but for no discernable reason, not the invert state.

Adobe, please fix this so I can stop manually inverting every single mask. 😓

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the masking Edits panel, at the bottom, the Reset Sliders Automatically button, you have that unchecked? If not, that could be your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tested this already. I always have that box on checked because I am always reusing the previous settings. That check box does not affect the invert state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@thehearth That is, sadly, how it works here. Those small corrections take ages to get implemented and usually their are just marked as "ideas" and slowly forgotten about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnrellis Well... exactly.

It takes one release without asking anybody to remove a feature that many people were used to, but it then takes "additional votes over the years" to maybe get that back.

And don't get me wrong... I would understand to some degree if the feature in question was some bloated thing that would be causing some unwanted side effect and would be desirable to remove from some point of view... but remembering a checkbox state... I would almost argue that it wasn't removed intentionally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I would almost argue that it wasn't removed intentionally."

That's very possible -- it's happened before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a feature that was previously available in lightroom classic and in the past updates I have not been able to find an option to continue ising this feature. I never use the radial filter unless it is inverted. For work flow, this means every time I want to use the "inverted" option, I have to go through multiple steps rather than have my preferance saved. Presets allow for all other sliders and functions to be saved preferences, but not "invert". This seems like a really simple fix, I hope there's a way we can accomidate this idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Year and a half since the OP and the issue still persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate