• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Minimum Sync Version for Lightroom Classic has changed to 10.4

Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all and thanks in advance for being here and trying to help.

I have started using LRc sync with lightroom mobile only recently. I really love to be able to cull and work on my photos from my ipad. in the last week only from time to time i opened LRc to sync all my edits back.

I run my LRc from an old but still performing 2010 iMac (i7, ssd and 16GB ram) which can only go as high as High Sierra and therefore my LRc is 9.4. I also have lightroom installed (version 3.4).

today i opened LRc an suddently I got the message you see below. It is in italian but it simply reads "lightroom upgrade necdessary" in order to keep on syncing with lightroom, you need to upgrade lightroom.

I did not do anything to my LRc catalog from the last time I used it so I amwondering what went wrong. I really wouldn't wont to change computer just yet.....

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

The Help Documents on this topic now updated.

To enable syncing of the new Masking features coming in the Photography Org, it is necessary for Lightroom Classic's minimum syncing version to be 10.4.  10.3 and older versions of Lightroom Classic will no longer be able to sync with the cloud. 

Please see the updated documents:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/upgrade-required-syncing-with-lightroom-mobile.html

and

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/sync-faq.html 

We ap

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, i´ve got the same problem on my iMac late 2009. I think it´s not realy fair from Adobe to kill such a feature like the sync overnight without any warning and chance to react.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My mid-2011 Mac can support up to High Sierra, which was released September 25, 2017. Is it really too much to ask Adobe Lightroom to run on an OS that is only four years old??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's your equipment that's to old, 10 years. The components are outdated to perform the tasks.

My iMac mid 2015 cannot upgrade to the new macOS so it has been "retired" and will limp along until it dies.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right. The Lightroom issue is forcing the issue of getting a new computer. I'm a hobbyist photographer and it's been doing just fine until now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the writing has been on the wall for your Mac for a few years now, once it was determined that the OS could not be upgraded beyond High Sierra. Apple typically now only offers OS support in the form of security updates for 3 years, and Adobe tends to follow that lead. There have been 4 more OS releases since High Sierra, and that's one too many for support to be maintained for Classic version 10.4 (which can run on Mojave, Catalina and Big Sur). With the release of Monterey, Apple support for Mojave will now stop and the same applies with the release of Classic 11.0 (which can only run on Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey).

I've got an 8 years old PC which is OK running Windows 10, but cannot run Windows 11. So while I can run Classic 11.0 on it, I don't know for how much longer that will be the case. It's a similar story with my old late-2013 MacBookPro which my wife has now inherited, it can't be upgraded to Monterey so seeing that writing on the wall I bought an M1 Mac Mini a few months back.

I know it's frutrating, but it's simply the nature of the speed of change in this area, 10 years is a lifetime in the tech world.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your wise words! Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk, Denis, and Jim --

This sounds like a reasonable argument on the face of it, however, I have been running the old version 6.14 of Lightroom Classic (permanent license), and sync is still working!

I have a 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 with 8-core Xeon and 22 GB RAM. Until recently I was running macOS 10.11 El Capitan, which is the latest version officially supported on this system. Now I am running 10.13 High Sierra, which I was able to install using a patcher. I was looking forward to finally being able to run a more current version of Lightroom Classic, but the latest I can get (via Adobe Support) is 9.0, in which sync is disabled. Because I need mobile sync, I have been forced to revert to version 6.14.

The fact that Adobe can continue to support sync in LR 6.14 calls into question any claim of technical limitations in earlier versions of the OS, hardware, or application. Rather, it seems to be either a marketing decision, or an unwillingness to expend development time on backwards compatibility. For instance, why not continue to support sync of everything except the new Masking features in those older versions?

David K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like a reasonable argument on the face of it, however, I have been running the old version 6.14 of Lightroom Classic (permanent license), and sync is still working!

Something is not right here....cloud syncing was never available in the perpetual license version of LR6.14. Syncing WAS available in the subscription version of LR6 (the last version being CC2015.14), but no longer appears to work (I just tried to enable syncing on my Win10 version of CC2015.14, but it's no longer possible).

So I'm not sure what version you are using with cloud syncing working, perhaps a screenshot of the Help>System Info dialog would help us figure out what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim --

I'm a little reluctant to participate in an investigation into why this feature unexpectedly works, lest Adobe realizes they forgot to turn something off and takes steps to remedy that. But here's a screenshot of my LR system info.

For what it's worth, I did ask about this in an Adobe Support live chat, and was told that the version 6.x sync was using different servers, but I didn't pursue it any further because it wasn't my primary issue at the time.  Also, it may be relevant that I subscribed to the Lightroom 1TB plan a few years ago and got sync up and running between Lr Mobile and Lr Classic at that time. I'm not sure of the official product names in use at the time; there may have been some "CC" versions involved. Adobe seemed to change their LR branding enough times that even today I'm confused about what is what. 

raoulvanhorn_0-1640646154148.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim --

I'm a little reluctant to participate in an investigation into why this feature unexpectedly works, lest Adobe realizes they forgot to turn something off and takes steps to remedy that. But here's a screenshot of my LR system info.

By @raoulvanhorn

Fair enough, no more questions from me on the subject!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim, but I didn't really mean to shut down the discussion. I just didn't want speculation over how or why it's working in my v6.14 to overshadow the point I was trying to make. Which is that, if Adobe can still support sync in v6.x, I'm sure they could have found a way to continue to support it in 8.x and 9.x. So why didn't they?

I worked in software development for a long time, so I understand about tradeoffs, but I can think of at least a couple of ways they could have preserved the baseline sync functionality while enhancing it for the new features introduced in later versions. In fact, I'd be surprised if they didn't design for that kind of evolution in the first place. That's why I suspect this was a strategy-driven decision. Either way, I'm curious about exactly what factored into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim, but I didn't really mean to shut down the discussion. I just didn't want speculation over how or why it's working in my v6.14 to overshadow the point I was trying to make. Which is that, if Adobe can still support sync in v6.x, I'm sure they could have found a way to continue to support it in 8.x and 9.x. So why didn't they?

Tbe point that I was trying to make is that cloud syncing was NEVER available in the perpetual license version of LR6....so Adobe do not (and never did) "support sync in v6.x". If it truly is working for you in 6.14 then that's a very weird anomaly, and I've never seen any other report of that happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim --

See the following screenshots for evidence of sync support in LR v6.14.

I believe it started working after I subscribed to CC in order to run LR Mobile on my iPad, because I wouldn't have had any use for sync before that. I don't remember exactly what steps I had to take to enable it, but that's my best guess of why the support is there.

My Adobe Account page shows that I have registered perpetual license versions of LR 2.0, 3.0, 5.0, and 6.0. I was using v6.x for a long time before subscribing to CC. I had thought that my subscription included some version of LR for the desktop, but the Adobe support rep I chatted with recently told me that my plan did not include LR Classic, so as far as I know I have just been running my perpetual license version of 6.14 on the desktop while also being subscribed to CC for the mobile product plus 1TB of cloud storage. And it was all working fine, including the mobile sync.

I already included a screenshot of my "About" dialog in a prior post; here are some that show the sync support.

raoulvanhorn_0-1641011834995.png     

raoulvanhorn_3-1641012112604.png

raoulvanhorn_1-1641011896259.png

raoulvanhorn_2-1641011927631.png

I have a hard time believing that software can ever work flawlessly as a result of a "weird anomaly,” especially when “working" involves an integrated set of features spanning front and back end code. It just doesn't happen that way. Could it be that, as you say, the perpetual license version doesn't support sync -- unless you also have a CC subscription? That would explain my case, I think. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally, a perpetual license version of 6.x would automatically be converted to the subscription version (CC2015.x) if you subsequently take out an Adobe subscription. I asked earlier in the thread for a screenshot of the Help>System Info text, which might indicate that happened, and would then explain why you were able to sync. I'm suspecting a loophole in the system here, for a couple of reasons:

1. I'm not sure why 6.14 was converted to CC2015.14 (if that is indeed the case) if you took out the 1TB Lightroom plan, as that version of the plan does not include Lightroom Classic.

2. And back to your original point, syncing should be disabled following the latest update to v11. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim --

Normally, a perpetual license version of 6.x would automatically be converted to the subscription version (CC2015.x) if you subsequently take out an Adobe subscription.

Wouldn't that mean that you would lose the perpetual license version if you subsequently canceled your subscription?

I asked earlier in the thread for a screenshot of the Help>System Info text, which might indicate that happened, and would then explain why you were able to sync.

Sorry, I misinterpreted and posted the About info instead. Here's the System Info text. (I snipped it for length, but let me know if you want to see the rest.)

Lightroom version: 6.14 [ 1149743 ]
License: Perpetual
Language setting: en-US
Operating system: Mac OS 10
Version: 10.13.6 [17G66]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 2.8 GHz
Built-in memory: 22,528.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 22,528.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 592.7 MB (2.6%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 3,402.8 MB
Memory cache size: 8.2MB / 5,376.0MB (0.2%)
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 0MB / 11263MB (0%)
Displays: 1) 1920x1200, 2) 1680x1050

Graphics Processor Info:
ATI Radeon HD 5870 OpenGL Engine

Check OpenGL support: Passed
Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Version: 4.1 ATI-1.51.8
Renderer: ATI Radeon HD 5870 OpenGL Engine
LanguageVersion: 4.10

<snip>
Build: Uninitialized
CoreImage: true

<snip>

I'm suspecting a loophole in the system here, for a couple of reasons:

1. I'm not sure why 6.14 was converted to CC2015.14 (if that is indeed the case) if you took out the 1TB Lightroom plan, as that version of the plan does not include Lightroom Classic.

It doesn't appear to be the case.

2. And back to your original point, syncing should be disabled following the latest update to v11. 

And yet, fortunately, it is not. And if it suddenly becomes disabled after this conversation, I will not be happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't that mean that you would lose the perpetual license version if you subsequently canceled your subscription?

There was a procedure which allowed the perpetual license version to be restored if it was converted to the subscription version and the subscription was subsequently cancelled.

Sorry, I misinterpreted and posted the About info instead. Here's the System Info text. (I snipped it for length, but let me know if you want to see the rest.)

Thanks. I was rather expecting to see that the license had ben converted to subscription, but obviously it hasn't been.

That being the case, there are a few issues (bugs) here, but given that LR6 is unsupported obsolete code I'd be surprised if any corrective action were taken.

I think that there's nothing further I can add to the issue, so any further comment (especially regarding your final point) would need to come from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, thanks Jim. I am curious to hear what they have to say, but I don't know if they are still following this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was recently able to upgrade to macOS High Sierra 10.13 on my older Mac Pro and was looking forward to finally being able to run a more current version of Lr Classic than my old v6.14.  So I upgraded my Lightroom 1TB plan to the Photography plan, and soon discovered, with the help of Adobe Support, that the only newer versions of Lr Classic available on my OS were v8.4.1 and v9.0. I can understand that, except that it seems mobile sync has been either broken or disabled in these versions.

On first launch of either version, I get the message “Lightroom must be upgraded before it can continue syncing with Lightroom.” However, the only version offered in my CC Apps panel is 11.1, which says "Not Compatible." So it seems there is no upgrade available to me.

Once I dismiss that message, in v8.4.1, clicking on ‘Get started with Lightroom’ shows a ’Sign in’ link next to the ’Sync with Lightroom’ menu item. Clicking that opens a mostly empty popup that never finishes loading. However, the Preferences dialog shows I am already signed in.

In v9.0, clicking on ‘Get started with Lightroom’ shows a ’Start’ link next to the ’Sync with Lightroom’ menu item, but the whole item is disabled. I also find no way to set a collection to sync.

The fact that mobile sync still works in v6.14 (it does), makes the inability to use it in the newer, but non-current, versions 8.4.1 and 9.0 seem like an artificial limitation rather than a technical one. While I would love to upgrade my macOS and Lightroom to the latest versions, I would have to replace my entire hardware setup to do so, and aside from this issue, my hardware (Mac Pro 3,1, 8-core Xeon, 22 GB RAM) is serving my purposes just fine.

Can anyone tell me why it's not possible to use mobile sync in any version of Lr Classic that my OS supports, other than the old v6.14? Or am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the new features available in the latest version of Lightroom Classic the sync feature requires LrC 10.4.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/whats-new-in-lightroom-classic-11-0/

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Denis, thanks for your reply. After posting my question here I discovered another thread that discusses the same issue (https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-minimum-sync-version-for-lightroom-cl...). I posted a comment there that I will also quote here:

"This sounds like a reasonable argument on the face of it, however, I have been running the old version 6.14 of Lightroom Classic (permanent license), and sync is still working!

I have a 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 with 8-core Xeon and 22 GB RAM. Until recently I was running macOS 10.11 El Capitan, which is the latest version officially supported on this system. Now I am running 10.13 High Sierra, which I was able to install using a patcher. I was looking forward to finally being able to run a more current version of Lightroom Classic, but the latest I can get (via Adobe Support) is 9.0, in which sync is disabled. Because I need mobile sync, I have been forced to revert to version 6.14.

The fact that Adobe can continue to support sync in LR 6.14 calls into question any claim of technical limitations in earlier versions of the OS, hardware, or application. Rather, it seems to be either a marketing decision, or an unwillingness to expend development time on backwards compatibility. For instance, why not continue to support sync of everything except the new Masking features in those older versions?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read that my post is now marked as "solved" but in fact it isn't.
What disappoints me the most is not the fact that you have moved to obsolescence a perfectly functioning speeedy machine (my 2010 imac performs better than my 2015 macbook pro) but the way you did it.

With no announcement and possibilty of a last time syncronization.

I have worked one full day on my ipad culling and editing hundreds of pics which I confidently thought they could be synced back to LRc but now i am caught in the middle and I am probably about to loose one day of work even if I upgrade machine or move my catalog to the macbook pro.

This is not really respectful of our work. you could have simply announced that the syncing was going to stop on a date and urge everybody to keep libraries synced before the service brakes. This is the least I expect for a fairly expensive service that I pay regularly for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me running High Sierra also ; is anything new about it since previous messages ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Muchas gracias por toda tu informacion me sera de mucha utilidad un saludo de Josep Matamala 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines