• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Open as layer not working from Lightroom Classic to Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edit about 30 images per day by selecting the below command, within Lightroom Classic (recently updated):

PHOTO > EDIT IN > OPEN AS LAYERS IN PHOTOSHOP (also recently updated)

But after the most recent update of PS and LrC I have lost this ability.  If I select 5 images in LrC and try to do the above, only about 1-2 images appear in my layered PS file as a layer, then a blank "LOAD LAYERS" layer appears (see attahed) and one more image will open in a seperate PS file and not a part of the layered file - then the import quits.

After I am done editing the layered file and when I save it - it will automatically save and load the modified layerd file in LrC - which it does not do anymore.

Obviously the only work around is for me to copy and past each layer individally and then manually save the file and import into my LrC catalog - which makes the process of editing images very inefficient when doing dozens of these edits per day.

I'm on a Macbook Pro, latest install of LrC and PS / Catalina - again, I have edited hundreds of images prior to the updates and never had an issue so obviously it have soemthing to do with the update, at least for me.

andrew

{Moderator Note: Edited the thread title, LRD-4204498}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Greetings,

This issue should be fixed in the Lightroom Classic 10.2 update that went live today. This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug Fixes

See whats new in the latest version here.

To update Lightroom Classic to 10.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Lightroom. See: More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am STILL having this problem, and it is absolutely crippling my ability to get my work out. I have reinstalled LRC and PS and deleted my PS prefs. No change. 

I have found that if I quit photoshop, I have about a 40% change that PS will complete the work (open as layers) when I try to use 'open as layers' from LRC. If I do not quit PS first, the odds are about 5% it will work.

All files are RAW files. That is all I use. 

Also, when I try to 'open as layers' from LRC, PS seems to 'hang' at breaks in source file number continuity. I.E. when files are continuous 1,2,3,4,5,6 etc it opens OK nearly every time, even if I do not restart PS. 

However, if there are skips in the selected files (I.E. select files 1,2,4,5,6) then it will get derailed when it has to 'skip' file 3. 

The above are the only two 'patterns' I've noticed with this bug, which I have been contending with for several months now. It is beyond infuriating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe product developers don't participate in this forum and won't see your feedback. Please add your details to the existing bug report:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/camera-raw-and-dng/lightroom-classic-open-as-layers-in-... 

and be sure to click Like and Follow at the bottom of the first post. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will prioritize a fix, and you'll be notified when the bug's status changes.  Adobe has marked the bug report "acknowledged", but they rarely give indications as to when bugs will be fixed. 

While waiting for a bug fix, see this reply for a less-convenient workaround:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/camera-raw-and-dng/lightroom-classic-open-as-layers-in-...

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having exactly the same problem. I have tried resetting preferences for both LR Classic and PS, which stops the problem for a short while and then it comes back. Also, it is very slow saving Tiff files from PS back to LR after editing. Don't know whether this is a related problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently having the same issues, trying to do focus stacking with between 15 to 30 images and have no luck on all attempts even trying smaller amounts of images, the images are  not loaded in order and random ones missing,only getting about 60-70% of selected images loaded and one image always loads on a separate tab. I am also working on Macbook pro - Catalina 10.15.6..I see there is a new upgrade Imight try that and see if there have been bug fixes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this has what to do with LrC?

LrC does not have a Photo Merge Focus Stack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks David, clearly you have not understood the issue, we are not sayig there is a problem with LrC as such just that there is a problem loading images from LrC to PS with 'Open as Layers in PS...

calm ya farm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"the images are  not loaded in order and random ones missing,only getting about 60-70% of selected images loaded and one image always loads on a separate tab."

As mentioned in a previous post, there is a bug report filed on this:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/-open-as-layers-in-photoshop-function-in-ligh... 

It is marked In Progress, which meabns Adobe is actively working on it. Usually that means a fix will come in the next release or two (there's a release every two months), but sometimes bugs stay In Progress for a very long time.

Please add your constructive opinion to the bug report, and be sure to click Me Too and Follow in the upper-right corner. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will prioritize their efforts, and you'll be notified when the bug's status changes. (Safari users, uncheck the option Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Prevent Cross-Site Tracking or use Chrome or Firefox.)

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug substantially slows the workflow for those of us who routinely do layering with multiple images and have to work on lots of images this way. I would ask that Adobe give special priority to this over other bugs that might not be so fundamental to workflow. 

Also, Photoshop is now very slow saving Tiff files back to LR. Don't know if this is related or whether it is a LR or PS issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David_MMMM, 

Adobe product developers don't participate in this forum and won't see your feedback. Make sure you add your constructive opinion to the bug report linked in the previous message in this thread, and be sure to click Like and Follow on that bug report to make it a little more likely Adobe will priority a fix and you'll be notified when its status changes. 

Meanwhile, use this workaround (which is much less convenient but does get the job done):

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

This issue should be fixed in the Lightroom Classic 10.2 update that went live today. This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug Fixes

See whats new in the latest version here.

To update Lightroom Classic to 10.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Lightroom. See: More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Runnign a 2020 MBP with 16 gig of ram. 

I just installed the latest version of LRC 10.3  and PS 22.4.3

I'm having the same issue as described above. 

I'm attempting to edit multiple layers in PS from LRC.. 2 layer open.. and load layers dialog. 

This is very frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At Brant, this is a thread that was marked as answered and is unlikely to attract the attention of many users. It would be better if you you start a new thread and report all relevant info. Include any error messages you may have got.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's septtember 2022 and im still having this issue! Sort it out Adobe this is unacceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still hasn’t been fixed after 6 years.  Truly pathetic!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

7 years now 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still doesnt work on the newest versions, select 3 files in Lightroom Classic and it will ALWAYS only open 2 at max, third one is "Load layers".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@cyber_editing @davew45301534 

Layers not opening in Ps?

I could suggest common answers like- Reset Photoshop Preferenes, Re-install Ps, Check sufficient memory, etc.

I have no trouble opening 20 images as layers in LrC v10.4, so there must be someting specific to your systems that is preventing layers for you.

2021-09-02 09_02_44-© _RHC6464.dng @ 33.3% (_RHC6442.dng, RGB_16) _.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't had and issue with opening as layers for awhile but it has just started again.  MacOS 11.5.2 LrC 10.4 and Photoshop 22.5.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here LRC 10.4 and Photoshop 22.5.1

did you get this solved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

FIXED: Yesterday I faced the same issue while trying to send about 9 photos from Lighroom Classic (v. 12.1) to Photoshop (v. 24.1), but only 3 pictures were send through right click shortcut.

Following some advices listed here, I managed to fix (work around) the issue by unchecking the lens corrections boxes prior to exporting them. The result was all nine pictures were open in Photoshop as usual. I don't know if it is a camera/lens compatibility issue, because never happened to me before when dealing with different gear setup.

Yesterday, the issue was found on pictures taken with a Canon R6 and a RF 70-200 F4 lens. Perhaps it is some kind of glitch with this particular lens and hopefully will be fixed in future updates.

By the way, I tried to reinstall Photoshop and change the Scratch Disk prior to unchecking the Lens Corrections boxes, but none of theses steps helped.

Hopefully the work around will help you too folks.

All the best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Beto Montoya That feels like a bug to me. Do you have a file you can share with us that exhibits the problem? We would like to review. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, what kind of file do you need, the raw files, screenshots or screenrecordings? Unfortunatelly, after the edit I do not have the files anymore, but I could try to replicate the issue tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At Beto, Raw files do not have Layers so I guess he is requesting a sample file, tiff or jpeg.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A raw file taken with that camera and lens combination 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk,

I found the pictures on my SdCard and reimported them to LR. Then, I tried to open again all nine of them as layers in PS with the lens correction options enable in LR. Guess what, this time all pictures were open in PS smoothly.

Ps.: I am trying to send you a Raw File but the page states that CR3 files are not supported, which any other format will work for you?

All the best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines