• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Strange moiré patterns with the Canon R5

Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was editing some events photos and started noticed a strange pattern with low light files, and with the Lens Correction feature activated. I increase the exp so you can see better the lines. ISO 6400. Check the file

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

I was able to reproduce this on some RF 11-24 F4 L Images shot at ISO 12800. I've logged it with the Camera Raw team to investigate further. 

Do you see the pattern after AI Denoise?

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
33 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zoom in at 100%; (1:1) in Develop module; do you still see this?

Morie is often visible on some images when you zoom out as the preview has to be subsampled down.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, at any zoom... I exported the file, this is not a capture, but the exported one is worst. When I deactivate the Lens Correction, the pattern goes away

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try disabling GPU in preference: better?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might be wrong, but my understanding of 'Mirrorless' camera models is that Lens Correction is already applied by the camera. Trying to apply it again in LrC may have the consequences you are seeing.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2022 Jun 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same, when I'm moving the sliders, it's ok, but then the pattern appears again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2022 Jun 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its the distortion slider1.jpg3.jpg5.jpg4.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola,

al trabajar con archivos raw de la canon Eos R5 que se han disparado con isos altos de 3200 o 6400, y no estan del todo bien expuestos, al subir la exposición o recuperar sombras en Lightroom aparece un "banding" con unas lineas "circulares" que nunca me había aparecido al revelar otros raw de canon de otras camaras como la 5D markiV.

Alguien tiene el mismo problema o detecta algo similar??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problema solucionado, solo hay que darle una reseteada al LR:

https://helpx.adobe.com/la/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buah! Gracias! Llevaba cantidad de tiempo buscando y no encontraba la razón del porque pasaba. Totalmente, desaparece si desactivas la corrección de lente en lightroom o simplemente bajas la distorsión!

Mil gracias.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a HUGE problem with the R5 and I'm finding it's random. I used OCF and just did sports photos. Moire is on dark uniforms (black), light uniforms (white), and on cheer uniforms...wedding suits are fun too (said no one ever)! The "fix" I was been given by Canon is to go to Lightroom/Develop Module/K (brush). Zero everything out except Moire - I put the brush to 100 and then paint out the affected area. I find better results in Photoshop Ctrl+Shift+A (Camera Raw Filter) and do the same thing - K for brush, 100 for Moire and then do yourself a favor and uncheck the "reset sliders automatically". Shortcuts will be your best friend - good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2023 Jun 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a long long long discussin with Adobe about this, and they refuse to accept it's their algortihm, while Canon experts have taken a look at the pictures and concluded it's not in-camera. It comes out when you apply the Lens Profile Corrections, regardless if it's LR or ACR. Adobe's final "pro tip" was resetting the camera settings.. Disappointing as Eff by Adobe. No competence in our discussions and no affirmation their algorithms might be the problem. It's on all photos if you apply the lens profile corrections, but it shows up best in high ISO and noise in dark, underexposed areas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DUB_6355.jpg

2023 and still having the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to reproduce this on some RF 11-24 F4 L Images shot at ISO 12800. I've logged it with the Camera Raw team to investigate further. 

Do you see the pattern after AI Denoise?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning everyone, I would like to share with all of you this annoying issue that I have been experiencing for some time now.

I tried reaching out to Adobe support directly, but unfortunately, I haven't been able to get any results.

Therefore, I want to publicly share this problem and see if others are also encountering it.

It seems to be a dual bug in my opinion: firstly, it affects the preview display of the photo both in Lightroom and Camera Raw.

When processing an image like the one I attached, I don't notice any issues in the development panel, nor in Camera Raw. I have attached a screenshot of the panel where you can see that the image preview appears to be correct.

However, after exporting the file, concentric circles appear in the black background areas. The problem can be mitigated and in many cases resolved by reducing the lens distortion correction to zero.

This issue is present with different lenses and different cameras, and I notice it particularly at higher ISO levels, 3200 ISO and above.

As I mentioned, the problem is twofold. Firstly, if I don't see this type of defect during development, I can't correct it. Secondly, I don't understand the source of this issue with concentric circles. 

The main issue is precisely the fact that not seeing this defect on the photos during the development phase requires a double check once everything is finished, with the risk of delivering a product of poor quality to the client. I beg you to take this problem to heart. Thank you.

I hope I have explained myself well, and I am available for any further information.

I share here a dropbox link, containing the same photos with also the .Cr3 file that is too big for this post.

https://shorturl.at/iuzCT

Lightroom Classic 12.4 Camera Raw 15.4 Mac Os 13.4, although the problem was also present in older versions of macOS. Macbook Pro M1 Max

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I have noticed that the issue is widespread. I find it quite unbelievable that over a year since the first reports, nothing has been done to resolve it. Resetting preferences is not a solution. The problem lies in the algorithm that handles the lens corrections applied to various lenses. I can confirm that this issue is present at least on Canon R5 and R6, cameras that I have been using for event photography in the last two years. There doesn't seem to be this problem on Canon 5D Mark IV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dear... buy Iridient C-Transformer that will allow you to use optics correction data ( geometry, LaCA and vignetting ) embedded by Canon in CR3 raw files instead of crappy lens profiles supplied by ... and be happy ( naturally do not forget to switch off Adobe's lens profiles or simply delete them from your hard drive ) - will it go away 100% ? no, noise banding due to any optics correction - that is the problem first started when Panasonic introduced that in their m43 dSLM cameras - will not be eliminated in principle - but it will be less pronounced

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main issue is precisely the fact that not seeing this defect on the photos during the development 

not true - the problem with how Adobe creates and applies its own lens profiles  is clearly seen in ACR during exactly the development if you bother to apply certain parameters to make it visible 

ACR-all-is-seen.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS: and you do not need to live with linear DNGs... exiftool will allow you to copy optics correction data extracted by Iridient C-Transformer to a non-linear DNG created for example by Adobe's own DNG converter... after that the donor linear DNG can be deleted... a simple script to automate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

m sorry, but what I mean is that I need to use Adobe Camera Raw and not other programs. My workflow goes through here, and I can't convert my files to DNG to address a problem that is not within my control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's with great regret that months go by, and the Adobe team hasn't even addressed this issue, or I haven't received any responses regarding it. I believe it's frustrating to have to manually check photo by photo due to a problem with lens profiles for Canon by Adobe. We pay for the program, and right now, we're experiencing a disservice. It's truly frustrating that after months, a solution still hasn't been found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR handles CR3 poorly compared to CR2. AI Denoise is beneficial for CR3 files on almost any ISO level

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been facing this issue for so long now on my R5. I wish Adobe would sort it out. I only ever notice it in B+W and turning off the lens correction sorts it but it shouldn't be an issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 22, 2023 Dec 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a 100% correct I just unchecked the profile and it's gone ... adobe needs to fix this 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 26, 2023 Dec 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

After applying lens correction for following image, I am able to observe kind of ripple effect. I have noticed this issue on only 2-3 (dark)images, on other images it works fine.

Before: _DSC0041.JPG
After: after.jpg

RAW:  _DSC0041.ARW

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate