• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Upgrade creates a new empty catalog instead of launching the last-used catalog

Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have answered questions about this problem (is it a 'Bug'?) in the forum (as an acp).

Now I have experienced it for myself!  Upgrading v11.01 to v11.1

How annoying it must be for 'beginners' to see an empty Catalog after the upgrade without understanding the problem!

An upgrade should automatically upgrade a catalog that is currently being used!

My Catalog is on an internal PC- D:drive that is physically separate from C:drive , and the upgrade did not find it.

2022-01-07 10_54_56-Window.jpg

NOTE:  [Open Recent] DOES NOT FIND MY v11.01 CATALOG either!

2022-01-07 10_55_19-Window.jpg

And I am left with an empty Catalog in my Pictures Folder that is sure to create confusion unless I [Delete] it immediately.!

Rob_Cullen_0-1641521200650.png

Thankfully, [Open Catalog...] does let ME find my working Catalog.-

2022-01-07 10_57_23-Window.jpg

Adobe - This needs fixing.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does indeed seem that a Lightroom update can corrupt the settings file that keeps track of the catalog(s), so Lightroom creates a brand new one and won't remember any old catalogs. I have seen to many messages about it by now to consider this a coincidence or user error. 

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've dropped a note to the Classic team regarding this but lacking clear reproduction instructions, I can't reproduce. In my testing efforts I probably upgrade catalogs a dozen times or more a month and I have never seen it. 

If you can reproduce this with a specific set of instructions, I would be happy to see if I can verify the reported behavior again. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This probably happens when the user's catalog that is used every day is not in the default location. Then the upgrade looks in the default location, and finds an old catalog (or no catalog), and then we get this issue. The upgrade software does not appear to look at the settings (in the preference file, or wherever it is kept) to find the catalog in the not-default location — or does not appear to look consistently at that setting. If that is the case, I think this could be and should be fixed.

It may also be caused by the user, who keeps a catalog in a non-default location and opens it consistently from a desktop shortcut to this non-default location, and then the setting (in preferences, or wherever) doesn't point to this catalog, and so the upgrade software is mis-led to upgrading the catalog in the default location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, Lightroom has never had any problems finding my non-default location catalog when upgrading.

I use C:\Lightroom catalog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure this sporadically happens due to corruption of the file that keeps the catalog location. I have upgraded dozens of catalogs over the years, with different names and in different locations, and have never seen this issue. It is definitely not a wide spread problem, but it does seem to happen from time to time for some people and then it makes sense that it only happens if their catalog is in a non-default location and/or has a non-default name.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not keep my catalogs in the default location. I have never had this problem. Neither on my MACBook, where they are on an external hard drive, nor my Windows workstation, where they are on an internal hard drive, not C. I suspect the issue is a corrupt preference file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Follow-up:  This has never happened to me before. I have always kept my (one master) Catalog on an internal (physically independent) hard-drive.

My system uses a SSD C:drive for OS and the 2Tb D:drive for all 'data' (Documents, Images, the Catalog, etc)

"If you can reproduce this with a specific set of instructions,"

@Rikk Flohr: Photography I don't know that I could (without a full re-build of all apps). It happened when I opened the CC Desktop App and clicked [Update all], which included Photoshop, Lightroom, Bridge, ACR.

I always start LrC from a Windows-10 Start page icon for the App .exe file (Not a Catalog shortcut).

My only thoughts are that I have re-mapped my Windows "Documents" default folder to the D:drive, or the Catalog Startup Preferences file was somehow trashed or deleted.

My system is working correctly (the way I want it!) now, so all good, and I know how to answer any other posts with 'empty catalogs'!

Thanks for replies.

On another note- I opened Photoshop yesterday (first time since the update done 6/1/22 ) and the 'Home Screen' was blank- No 'recent' files, the [New File] [Open] [Home] buttons were just grey 'blobs' and inactive. All restored to normal after opening one image from the top menu. Preferenes trashed?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines