• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: very slow to after export with "Add to Catalog" after updating

Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I export using the settings shown in the image, the export is fast but the "Add to the Catalog" action is EXTREMELY SLOW.  You can't really do anything else in LR while the background add to catalog is happening because it resets everything after each image is added so you can't scroll or anything and when you are exporting 75-100 images it TAKES FOREVER and kills the entire efficiency of the process.  

My setup is very similar to OP in that I have an export preset to rename, resize and place files in a sub folder of original folder and then add them to the catalog.  Again, the export happens very quickly but the last part of adding the exported images back to the catalog is excruciatingly slow. This has been a problem for a while but I really would like to get it resolved.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Randy Brogen, M.Photog.M.Artists.Cr., CPP
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the same settings, the export/add to catalog is also very, very slow on my LR 10.4 / Mac OS 11.6. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah this seems to be a structural issue. Lightroom updates the entire interface after each exported file. Way more inefficient than a normal add import is and it slows everything down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've struggled with this problem for at least a year. So frustrating! It's much faster to export without ticking "add to catalog," and then importing. That just shouldn't be! You'd think that users would be howling about this, but I've only seen a few complaints. That could be because most users don't tick the "add to catalog" box (which would surprise me), but also could be caused by something unusual in one's local configuration. But I can't think of a setting that might cause this! Any ideas?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only recently started this option as I rarely needed it in the past, as usually I would just export a JPEG folder for the client and never import that particular folder to LR, but recently I occasionally need to apply 2 watermarks (and unfortunately LR only allows one at at a time, so I need to reimport the image with one watermark and export again with the other) and sometimes I need a full res JPEG and then export other sizes from that, as it's faster.

And the stupid slow import time when that option is used is baffling. So I stopped using it and now do manual imports, it's way faster. They never fixed this, and probably never will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue as original poster. It's really annoying and seems to me like something that could be fixed easily. If I can manually import ton of photos fast, Lightroom should be able to do the same upon export with the option Add to Catalog selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Having the same issue as original poster. It's really annoying and seems to me like something that could be fixed easily. If I can manually import ton of photos fast, Lightroom should be able to do the same upon export with the option Add to Catalog selected.

By @Pavel5E74

You are adding into a very old post. Both Operating Systems and Adobe Apps have upgraded/updated since the post was initiated. The original problem may not be at all related to your problem. Also many members might ignore old postings.

Please create your own new posting.

When you do, create a nice descriptive subject (title)

Naturally state your problem

Include any error messages

And state any remedies you attempted

When yo do, please remember to include at a minimum the following information (not all might relate, but it may be helpful)

• Adobe Application name and version (avoid words like latest, current, use numbers)
  • Operating System, Window or MAC, and OS version
  • CPU
  • RAM
  • GPU make/model, and GPU driver version
  • VRAM on the GPU (MAC M1 not applicable)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines