• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: (Windows) Healing Brush changes size inconsistent with Cursor Size

Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I select the healing brush as I have since forever. Let's say there is a hair across a face. I would make the brush a few pixels larger than the hair and sample away. BUT NOW, when I start to select the hair, the healing brush decides to increase in size, by waaaaaay too much. What is happening here??  This is the most simple use of the feature and it's unusable right now. So frustrating, please help!

LR Classic V12, Windows

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Hi Mandy,

I believe I may have found the solution to the problem I am experiencing.
Hopefully it proves helpful for you!
I had to:

• right click on the LR app icon, down the menu and click properties.
  • Then over to the compatibility tab
  • Click the "Change high DPI settings" button at the bottom
    (you may want to "Change settings for all users")
  • Then select Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by "Application"

This immediately fixed the issue I was experiencing.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you recently restarted the app and your computer to see if the problem will go away?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have. Unfourtunately this universal IT solution did not work. However, while typing this reply I've noticed the arrow keys aren't functioning properly...Looking into a funny Keyboard setting now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please let us know if the keyboard was the culprit - that may help others that may encounter this scenario.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alas, the arrow issue is fixed w drivers....the silly heal brush still increases in size by about 3 fold as soon as I click it on the image. I haved found that if I hold ctrl+alt and drag I can set a custom size that sticks for ONE application. The very next time I click the healing brush it goes back to the initial problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you recreate this behavior in the Camera Raw filter in Photoshop? Wondering if it only happens in Lightroom Classic??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I understand the request. I am not familiar with Camera Raw, but it appears there are no healing tools at all, only global adjustments in the CR filter, from what I can see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aaaaaaaaaaaand there is the panel, just out of frame... facepalm. OK, let's see....It works as expected in Camera Raw. So it appears to be isolated to LR.  hmmmmmmmmmm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can be caused by an Accessibility setting affecting display or cursor.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It actually changes the size of the brush though, not just a zoom. Looking into this further still to see what I can find. Thank you for the suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please expand on what you mean? Also, would this not then be a global issue if it were tied to Accessibility setting? (as opposed to acutely in LR)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with the healing tool brush size. It is a lot larger than the what the cursor is showing, so it is very hard to know if I got the right brush size. Is this solved yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mandy,

I believe I may have found the solution to the problem I am experiencing.
Hopefully it proves helpful for you!
I had to:

• right click on the LR app icon, down the menu and click properties.
  • Then over to the compatibility tab
  • Click the "Change high DPI settings" button at the bottom
    (you may want to "Change settings for all users")
  • Then select Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by "Application"

This immediately fixed the issue I was experiencing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

🤩 Thank you for posting your troubleshooting results!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/brush-tool-cursor-size/m-p/9337046 as it may apply here. 

Edited: Wrong link pasted here. The correct link is further down the thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography 

The healing brush size not corresponding to cursor happens only in LR Classic. In PS it is working fine, the brush size is exactly the same size as the cursor. I have using LR and PS for 10 years now, so it is the 1st time, I am experiencing this issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check your Mac Accessibility Display>Cursor settings?

This thread contains additional information specific to LrC: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-brush-cursor-size-vs-paint-stroke-dis... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography 

Yes, this is exactly the issue i am facing as in the video. How can i fix this? I don't have the issue in PS healing brush tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a lightroom issue, not photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nearly 900 eyes on this issue in 3 days....wow!
There is no solution, no acnkowledgment of an issue and "Check Accessibily" on repeat...Do better Adobe. Your product is flawed and people are curious to find a solution. The healing brush tool is broken. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see this Lightroom Classic-specific post: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-brush-cursor-size-vs-paint-stroke-dis... 

I am unable to reproduce this issue on any of my Windows systems.  And as, you say, 900 eyes and no one has a solution?  That indicates that the problem is: 1: Exceedingly rare and hard to reproduce and/or 2: limited to a specific hardware configuration/settings. 

Things to check:

1.  Windows Display Scaling Settings
  2.  Windows Cursor Settings
  3.  Any Mouse/Tablet Software you may have which allows you to override cursor settings
  4.  Any gaming settings in your GPU driver that might affect cursor behavior

If you've already reset preferences per @cmgap 's suggestion, I would recommend updating your Video Drivers and all Mouse/Tablet/Pointing device drivers to the latest version from the manufacturer's (not Windows) website. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you a bot? You have shared this already. This is not helpful, or the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love that your interpretation of a thousand people watching means it's a rare issue.
My particular bug has been identified as a scaling issue. My laptop is at 250% (recommended). When scaled to 100% the cursor works properly but the rest of the system is unlegibly small. This laptop has a secondary monitor and has been on this setting for the last 2 years without issue. 
New Adobe updates, new windows updates and GeForce updates seem to be conflicting with each other. 
Currently updating Video Card drivers directly from GeForce.
Will update again following these next few troubleshooting steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"My laptop is at 250% (recommended)."

Try 200% instead please. 

"I love that your interpretation of a thousand people watching means it's a rare issue."

The number refers to people who have seen, not people who are 'watching'. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your symantic argument. 

Also, 200% has reduced the oversized curser by 50% but is still the incorrect size upon clicking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines