• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P:(Windows Only): Select Subject or Select Sky: Error message "Something went wrong"

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the new update, when using  Select Sky or Select Subject, i get an unexpected error message saying something went wrong and the request could not be completed.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

With the latest LrD 7.0,  LrClassic 13.0 and ACR 16.0 release, here is some additional workaround that you can try:

If you encounter GPU driver issues while using ML features in LrClassic/LrD/ACR, please try to update to the latest macOS version or if you are on a Windows machine, follow https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html to update your machine to the latest GPU driver and  see if the problem resolves itself.

If the OS or the driver is not available or possible

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 486 Replies 486
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jrsforums wrote:

Studio driver.  I'm not sure it is available for 750.  I have a 760 on one of my machines (non photo processing) and I must use 'Game Ready'. I use 'Studio'on my 1080 machine and it is great.

is his 'Game Ready' driver up to date?

Bring up https://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx  and you can look.

So from your info:

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 (30.0.15.1277)

that is v512.77

From website listed above, current Game Ready is also 512.77

hmm, apparently no Studio driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To summarize:

1. Tried to reset Lightroom (even though it was a clean install) - didn't help.

2. Made sure the latest GPU drivers installed - didn't help.

3. Tried to set GPU on or off in Preferrences - didn't help.

The GPU definitely isn't the latest model, but for the record, the very same piece did work fine in my old PC, it's just after the upgrade to i7-12700KF and 64GB RAM that Select Sky simply crashes.

Thanks everyone for trying to help, but I think it's about time for Adobe to admit they have a serious bug there and start really fixing it, not just asking everyone to fiddle with GPU, which apparently doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We’ve reviewed the email address you use with this forum and find no crash reports in our system.

Did you see a crash dialog?

Do you use a different email address when filling out the crash report?

Was the crash dialog Adobe’s? Microsoft’s?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I missed the option to enter my email in the crash report. Fixed now and I've just sent 2 reports with my email filled in.

Btw, I either don't see any crash report and Lightroom just disappears, or Adobe's crash dialog is shown.

Thanks,

Jiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were my new crash reports delivered? Anythings more I could do to help debug the issue?

Thanks,

Jiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 Crash reports arrived - (2) of them are unique to your Adobe Id and affect no other customers and look to be related to Windows/Video Drivers issues.  Make sure you have all Windows 10 updates installed and update your video drivers from your Video Card Manufacturer's website. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rikk, but as I have stated, everything is updated to the latest version, the PC is tested by various stress tests and working great, it's just LR that crashes. Not even mentioning the discrepancy of GPU turned off in Preferences and you blame its drivers for a crash? (I know there are some talks about LR not respecting this setting, but haven't seen this clarified by Adobe yet)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't confirmed that you tried resetting preferences. As mentioned above, the preferences file can get corrupted at any point, and it stores much more than just explicit user options. Resetting has fixed a huge range of issues for many users, as a search of these forus will attest.  It may not help your issue, but it's very quick to try.  

"I know there are some talks about LR not respecting this setting,"

It's a fact that's been verified on different installations of LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't confirmed that you tried resetting preferences.

Yes, I did try this as well, didn't help.

"I know there are some talks about LR not respecting this setting,"

It's a fact that's been verified on different installations of LR.

Maybe here in the forum, but the Lightroom UI makes you think the GPU can be turned off - this should be officially clarified.

Anyway, my main point is that blaming user's machine on every sky selection crash simply doesn't make sense. I'm sure there do exist buggy GPU drivers, but given how often this is reported on otherwise updated and working PCs, I'm quite sure there's something Adobe should fix. (And I think I can quite confidently say that I know what I'm talking about, being a programmer myself. When my customer reports a crash, I do everything to find the cause and deliver a fix.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Maybe here in the forum, but the Lightroom UI makes you think the GPU can be turned off - this should be officially clarified."

Adobe employee simonsaith confirmed this, "So turn off the Lr graphics processor option in the Lightroom user preference would not have any effect either way." 

(Though Simon is incorrect in stating that LR doesn't have any control over whether the GPU is used for running the AI models. The libraries used by LR on Mac and Windows allow the client application to specify that.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I'm sure there do exist buggy GPU drivers, but given how often this is reported on otherwise updated and working PCs, I'm quite sure there's something Adobe should fix."

The evidence here doesn't indicate that.  I just re-examined the main thread where reports of Select Subject/Sky errors on Windows have been consolidated (327 replies!). Of those who posted Help > System Info, the vast majority were for Intel integrated graphics chipsets with outdated drivers. Of those, nearly all who reported back said that updating to the latest driver fixed the problem. Only three people said updating to the latest driver didn't help.

In your case, with an eight-year-old card released before there was widespread use of desktop GPUs for non-graphics computations, it's very possible that the issue is indeed a buggy driver -- Nvidia doesn't have much incentive to thoroughly test  and fix the non-graphics code paths for its older cards.  It's equally possible this is indeed a LR bug. But there isn't any dispositive evidence either way.

LR should definitely give a clearer error message than "Something went wrong".  And it should allow use of the GPU for Select Subject/Sky to be disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"not just asking everyone to fiddle with GPU, which apparently doesn't work."

Indeed, Select Subject/Sky doesn't obey the setting Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor, though it should:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-select-sky-and-select-subject-should-obey-p... 

But updating old graphics drivers (which include the GPU drivers) has fixed the crashes for many people on this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's just after the upgrade to i7-12700KF

So, the various chip set drivers, CPU driver? and other motherboard related drivers, are they up to snuff post CPU change?

And, your BIOS, is that up to date?

And in the Events Viewer, any nasty errors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, everything is updated.

And in the Events Viewer, any nasty errors?

Good idea, there really are the records for the crashes, but apart for stating the error code 0xc0000374 (Heap corruption), there doesn't seem to be anything useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that event also mention "Faulting module name: ntdll.dll"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to clear/flush the events, then run LrC and attempt a Sky mask, as to cause a fresh crash, the look at events to see the newest ones, thereby weeding out any unrelated ones.

And, probably time to give Adobe a chat/call.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A função "Selecionar assunto" (ou "Selecionar céu") só funciona na primeira foto, à partir da segunda aparece uma mensagem "Ocorreu um erro inesperado e sua solicitação não pôde ser concluída", e eu só consigo fazer funcionar fechando o programa e abrindo novamente ou esperando alguns minutos antes de tentar novamente.
Eu utilizava uma placa de vídeo GTX 1050 Ti e funcionava normal, porém a placa deu problema e eu a removi. Quando tentei utilizar sem a placa de vídeo deu esse problema, então atualizei os drivers de vídeo, porém o problema ainda persiste.

Sistema:
Ryzen 5 5600G

AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics

16GB RAM

Windows 10 Business Edition

(mais dados estão na foto em anexo)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a first step please try resetting the preferences of Lightroom Classic:   https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html 

It's recommended to backup your preferences before you reset the preferences to the default settings:  

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/preference-file-and-other-file-locations.html 

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2022 Jun 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"An unexpected error occurred and your request could not be completed"

This indicates that LR has encountered a problem trying to use the graphics processor (GPU) to do Select Subject/Sky.  This usually indicates that you have an out-of-date graphics driver or the most recent driver is still buggy, and it most often occurs with processors that have integrated graphics.   Resetting preferences or setting Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor won't fix the issue (Select Subject/Sky doesn't obey that setting).  

Your screenshot indicates you have a very recent graphics driver installed from (22.5.1). The AMD website indicates there's an even newer version, 22.5.2.  Try installing that.

You could also try adding your GTX 1050 Ti back and then installing the latest driver directly from the Nvidia web site.  The card is relatively old (2016), but it's probably worth trying.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2022 Jun 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select subject/sky masks have been working fine for me. In particular, I have been extensively using the "select subject mask" for quite some time now. 

But after the recent update, which contained some masking related updates, both select subject and select sky masks have not been working and an error message keeps coming up. 

I know this issue has been asked several times in this forum, so the first thing I did was update my graphics drivers. But still the issue persists and I have a feeling it has something to do with the recent update.

I came up with the issue in Lightroom Classic v 11.4 running on Windows 11 Home with AMD Ryzen 5 4500U with Radeon Graphics (Adrenalin Edition v 22.5.1)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the error message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

20220615_200510.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Something went wrong" error occurs when LR doesn't like the graphics driver:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-windows-only-select-subject-or-select...

In the overwhelming majority of cases, updating to the most recent graphics driver fixes the issue.  (Select Subject/Sky uses GPU to execute the AI models that identify the subject and sky.)

Troubleshooting steps:

1. Try updating to driver version 22.5.2, and if that doesn't help, to the Pro Edition 22.Q2:

"Select this driver if you are a content creator engaged in workflows like Computer Aided Design (CAD), video editing, animation, and graphic design. Radeon™ Pro Software for Enterprise is tested against over 100 professional applications. Built to help content creators make the best, AMD Software: PRO Edition is designed to deliver more quality, performance, security, and simplicity."

2. If that doesn't help, does rolling back to LR 11.3.1 or 11.2 fix the problem? That would be important information for Adobe to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines