• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P:(Windows Only): Select Subject or Select Sky: Error message "Something went wrong"

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the new update, when using  Select Sky or Select Subject, i get an unexpected error message saying something went wrong and the request could not be completed.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

With the latest LrD 7.0,  LrClassic 13.0 and ACR 16.0 release, here is some additional workaround that you can try:

If you encounter GPU driver issues while using ML features in LrClassic/LrD/ACR, please try to update to the latest macOS version or if you are on a Windows machine, follow https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html to update your machine to the latest GPU driver and  see if the problem resolves itself.

If the OS or the driver is not available or possible

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 486 Replies 486
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photos where object selection behaves ok on my desktop fail on my laptop (Windows 10, Lightroom Classic 11.3.1).

In develop mode, clicking the masking tool and then object selection, I get the response in the attached picture. 

The error response translated to English: 'an unexpected error has occurred and the request could not be completed.'

Also the systeminfo is attached. 

Cees Wouda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cees,

Thanks for reaching out. I'd love to help you figure this out.

The image in the screenshot is JPEG. Does the error occur with RAW images too? Have you tried any troubleshooting steps?

In the system info, the Graphics Processor's (GPU - Intel HD Graphics 620) driver version/build is 21.20.16.4627, and this was released in 2017 by Intel. Please update the Graphics driver of your computer from Step 4 on this article:  https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html

Once the drivers are updated, go to the following locations

• C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw
  • Rename the GPU folder as 'GPU.old' (add .old at the end)
  • Restart Lightroom Classic again

Let us know if this helps,

Thanks!
Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Sameer, 

it did not solve the issue.

Checked the graphics driver on the Acer support, although from 2017, it is the latest driver.

Switched off graphics accelaration in Lightroom preferrences: no change in behaviour.

Checked RAW instead of Jpeg: no change. 

I am happy to dig deeper with your help.

Regards,

Cees

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor to Off in LR won't have any effect on this problem, since Select Subject/Sky doesn't obey that setting (that's a bug in LR).

"Checked the graphics driver on the Acer support, although from 2017, it is the latest driver."

Acer and other manufacturers haven't bothered to update their "official" drivers on older computers.  Several people have reported her that manually updating to the latest Intel driver for your chipset solves the issue. You could do that manual update following these instructions:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000038500/graphics.html

or by using a third-party app, as described by this person:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-windows-only-select-subject-or-select...

Beware that it's possible that manually downloading the latest Intel driver, which isn't "officially" supported by Acer, could theoretically cause issues with the normal operation of your computer's graphics.  Though no no has reported that yet. So be prepared to reinstall the very old official Acer driver if the latest Intel driver doesn't work out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

finally managed to update the driver with latest one from Intel.

The subject selection works, but is extremely slow. Seconds on my desktop, almost five minutes on my laptop. 

It seems specific for this selection tool, everyting else performs ok. 

Could there still be something wrong in the installation?

Acer Spin 5, Intel I5 core, 2.7 GHz, 8 GByte

Cees

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"managed to update the driver with latest one from Intel.  The subject selection works, but is extremely slow. Seconds on my desktop, almost five minutes on my laptop."

The AI masking relies on the graphics processor (GPU) to get fast execution of its selection models.  When LR doesn't detect a usable GPU, it falls back to using the general-purpose processor. In my limited testing on Windows, though, Select Subject/Sky took 1-2 seconds with a GPU and 5-10 seconds without a GPU (on a fast two-year-old computer).   Your experience of 5 minutes is obviously much, much slower.

That suggests that after updating the driver, LR is using the GPU of your laptop, but perhaps because the GPU is relatively old (at least five years) and of limited capabilities even when it was new, the AI execution is taking so much longer.

I submitted a feature request to have Select Subject/Sky obey Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor... so that with older computers and with buggy drivers, the user could force AI masking to use the CPU.  10-20 seconds to select a sky or subject using the CPU is tolerable in many use cases (5 minutes is not).   But I haven't received any feedback from Adobe.  (I did see a comment elsewhere from an Adobe engineer who isn't on the LR team suggesting that the software LR uses to execute its models didn't support execution on the CPU, but I think he's mistaken -- the third-party packages LR uses definitely do support execution on the CPU.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks John for this update!

My Acer laptop is just four years (December 2017), I would not consider that old and it was bought at that time with the Lightroom specs. 

I wouild love to get 10-20 seconds response-time, indeed with 5 minutes this feature is unusable. 

Let's hope Adobe can address this. 

Lightroom is an absolutely valuable tool, you wish it to be perfect, but it is not..

Much appreciated,

Cees

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cees,

I see that your laptop has 8GB of RAM. This might be the source of your problems with this machine.

Launch LrC 11.3.1 in Develop and switch between images that have develop adjustments. Open Windows Task Manager and check the RAM usage by Lightroom Classic. I had 8GB in an older laptop and had big problems until I upgraded it to 16GB.

I don't use the laptop now as I have built a new desktop with a Gen 11 i7 CPU and 32GB RAM. However, I don't have a dedicated graphics card and rely on the Intel onboard video using the CPU's GPU. I have experienced problems with the Intel Graphics, even with the latest driver. Starting LrC 11.3.1 in Develop, memory usage by LrC quickly rockets up to 15-20GB. If I disable GPU support in Preferences, then LrC's memory use sits below 4GB. I got a friend with an RTX 3070 Ti graphics card to try the same test and LrC only used 2-3GB of RAM. The built-in Intel graphics don't seem to work to well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tengo un problema con lightroom manejo de mascara sujero o cielo, al aplicar la opcion sobre una foto, no lo hace saca el siguiente

Error Lightroom al aplicar mascara sujetoCaptura.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Versión de Lightroom: 5.3 x64 [ 20220328-1357-45ff827 ] (Mar 28 2022)
Versión de NGL: 1.28.0.8
Versión de WF: 4.3 49e3245
Versión de VF: 0.1.36.2
Versión de HIL: 40405
Sistema operativo: Windows 10
Versión de SO: Windows 10 Pro (2009)
Arquitectura de la aplicación: x64
Arquitectura del sistema: x64
Modelo de equipo: HP HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-w0XX / Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz
Cantidad de procesadores lógicos: 4
Velocidad del procesador: 2,7 GHz
Memoria incorporada: 8036,0 MB
Memoria real disponible para Lightroom: 8036,0 MB
Memoria real usada por Lightroom: 1264,3 MB (15,7%)
Memoria virtual usada por Lightroom: 1485,3 MB
Tamaño de memoria de caché: 522,9 MB
Versión interna de Camera Raw: 14.3 [ 1072 ]
Número máximo de subprocesos que usa Camera Raw: 3
Optimización de SIMD de Raw de cámara: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Memoria virtual de Camera Raw: 486MB / 4018MB (12%)
Memoria real de Camera Raw: 467MB / 8036MB (5%)
Ajustes de PPP del sistema: 134 PPP
Composición de escritorio activada: Sí
Pantallas: 1) 1920x1080
Tipos de entrada: Multitoque: Sí, Toque integrado: Sí, Pluma integrada: No, Toque externo: No, Pluma externa: No, Teclado: Sí

Información de procesador gráfico: DirectX: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620 (21.20.16.4542)
Detalles del procesador gráfico: cargado: Sí, compatible: Sí, computar: Sí, inicializar: I3_GPU3, duro: success, blando: fail_insufficient_driver, al: No, dl: No
Capacidad de medios del SO: true

Carpeta Aplicación: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom CC
Carpeta de ajustes: C:\Users\Wilson.Osorno\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom CC
Carpeta Biblioteca: C:\Users\Wilson.Osorno\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom CC\Data

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your graphics driver is 5.5 years old and needs to be updated. Try updating your graphics driver following the precise instructions in this article at step 3:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html#solution-4

A number of people have reported that upgrading their graphics drivers fixed their problems with Select Subject and Sky. But sometimes Intel's automatic update sends you to the computer manufacturer's web site, which hasn't been updated with new drivers. Several people have reported here that manually updating to the latest Intel driver for your chipset solves the issue. You could do that manual update following these instructions:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000038500/graphics.html

or by using a third-party app, as described by this person:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-windows-only-select-subject-or-select...

Beware that it's possible that manually downloading the latest Intel driver, which isn't "officially" supported by the manufacturer, could theoretically cause issues with the normal operation of your computer's graphics.  Though no no has reported that yet. So be prepared to reinstall the very old official manufacturer driver if the latest Intel driver doesn't work out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola, buenas tardes, no me esta funcionando en lightrom la seleccion de sujeto, se queda pensando y luego sale un cartel que dice, algo anda mal..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google translation: "Subject selection error. Hello, good afternoon, the subject selection is not working for me in lightroom, it keeps thinking and then a sign appears that says, something is wrong."

Try updating your graphics driver following the precise instructions in this article:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html#solution-4

A number of people have reported that upgrading their graphics drivers fixed their problems with Select Subject and Sky.

If that doesn't help, please copy/paste here the entire contents of the LR menu command Help > System Info -- that will let Adobe know the precise versions of software and graphics drivers you're running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 11.3.1 on Windows 10, as the title says, reproducable crash on Select Sky, no matter how I configure GPU (on or off). Based on the articles here, I tried to update the GPU driver and all the things, but the result is the same. I sent some crash reports, but I wonder if Adobe needs any more help to debug the issue?

Thanks,

Jiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic version: 11.3.1 [ 202204181225-f90ebff5 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.19044
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 20
Processor speed: 3,6GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
Built-in memory: 65377,5 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 65377,5 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 7168,6 MB (10,9%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 9218,3 MB
GDI objects count: 862
USER objects count: 2646
Process handles count: 2504
Memory cache size: 7419,5MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 14.3 [ 1072 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 3075MB / 32688MB (9%)
Camera Raw real memory: 3575MB / 65377MB (5%)
System DPI setting: 96 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 2560x1440
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 (30.0.15.1277)

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: C:\Users\jh\Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog-2-2-v10-v11.lrcat
Settings Folder: C:\Users\jh\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Facebook
3) Flickr
4) Nikon Tether Plugin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your Lightroom preferences:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Quit Lightroom Classic.
MacOS: Press and hold the Shift + Option keys.
Windows: Press and hold the Shift + Alt keys.
While holding down the keys, launch Lightroom Classic.
When asked, select "Yes". 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but this is actually a clean Lightroom installation on a new machine, so preferrences are at defaults.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Thanks, but this is actually a clean Lightroom installation on a new machine, so preferences are at defaults."

LR stores more than just explicit user settings in the preferences file, including a lot of internal state of the application. Due to a design defect, LR sometimes soils the preferences file, causing all sorts of wonky behavior -- a search of this forum shows a diverse range of misbehavior corrected by resetting preferences. For any one issue, resetting has only a small chance of correcting the problem, but it's quick to try.

"reproducible crash on Select Sky, no matter how I configure GPU (on or off)."

Unfortunately, Select Subject / Sky doesn't obey the setting of Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor, though it definitely should:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-select-sky-and-select-subject-should-obey-p... 

"DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 (30.0.15.1277)"

That driver appears to be a Game Ready driver:

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/latest-nvidia-geforce-graphics-drivers-for-windows-11.632/

Try installing the latest Nvidia Studio driver instead -- Nvidia claims they test and optimize studio drivers for use with creative applications like Adobe Creative Cloud and they're more "stable".

The GTX 750 is an eight-year-old card, and older cards get less attention from the manufacturers, so it's very possible that you're tripping over a driver bug that is less likely to get Nvidia's attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Studio driver.  I'm not sure it is available for 750.  I have a 760 on one of my machines (non photo processing) and I must use 'Game Ready'. I use 'Studio'on my 1080 machine and it is great.

is his 'Game Ready' driver up to date?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines