P:(Windows Only): Select Subject or Select Sky: Unexpected error message "Something went wrong"

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the new update, when using  Select Sky or Select Subject, i get an unexpected error message saying something went wrong and the request could not be completed.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

In general, please follow https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html#solution-4 to update your system with the latest GPU drivers from the respective vendor.

Translate

Translate
replies 432 Replies 432
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already posted it earlier in this thread. I believe it's on page 1. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saw it now. It looks like a crash happened somewhere deep in bowels of mac MPSKernel. It could be an Apple issue.

MPSKernel = standard interface for Metal Performance Shaders kernels.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The machine really has only 8GB of RAM (Mac Mini M1)?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. It's a base Mac mini of the new apple silicon line. It's been fast and very responsive prior to this update. And meets the requirements for Adobe. M1 Mac's only come in 8GB or 16GB at this time. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here with the "select subject" on the mobile.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update? It seemed like you said you found something but have not elaborated further on. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I see this thread was modified to say windows only and to start a new thread. This was originally a separate thread but y'all merged it with this thread. Do I have to start a new one all over again or can you unmerge it? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@anthonym39116038 It could be a sympton of your system running out of RAM that leads to some crash in Apple component. One thing you could try is updating your machine to the latest macOS 12 to see if it makes a difference. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@anthonym39116038 I have an Adobe colleague who has a Mac mini (M1, 2020) on macOS 11.6,  but it has 16GB of RAM. He is able to follow your select subject script and could not reproduce the crash.

According to Google search, it seems that Mac mini (M1, 2020) has memory that is integrated into the Apple M1 chip and can't be upgraded. You can configure the amout of RAM in your Mac mini only when you purchase it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom recommends 16GB of RAM to work well https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/system-requirements.html. If you do a lot of pano or HDR merge work, 32GB is preferrable.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@anthonym39116038 I reviewed the LrCC crash log and the LrCC system info one more time. It reports that your version of LrCC is running in X86-64 (Translated) mode, meaning you are running LrCC inside the Rosetta 2. LrCC is a universal binary package, meaning it supports ARM64 (M1) natively. I am not sure how you wind up having LrCC run in x86-64 translated mode on your Mac Mini M1. You should just let LrCC run natively on M1. Here is your Lr system info that you posted earlier. It shows that you are running LrCC in emulator mode and your GPU is running in AMD Compatibility Mode.

Lightroom version: 5.0 x64 (emulated) [ 20211012-0002-a1240ed ] (Oct 12 2021)
NGL Version: 1.27.0.12
WF Version: 4.0 8176236
VF Version: 0.1.36.2
HIL Version: 40400
Operating system: macOS
OS Version: macOS 11.6.1 (20G224)
Application architecture: x64 (emulated)
Computer model: Macmini9,1 / Apple M1
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 2.4 GHz
Built-in memory: 8,192.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 8,192.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 602.3 MB (7.3%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 9,759.2 MB
Memory cache size: 1,781.5 MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 14.0 [ 950 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 914MB / 4095MB (22%)
Camera Raw real memory: 0MB / 8192MB (0%)
Displays: 1) 2560x1440
Graphics Processor Info: Metal: AMD Compatibility Mode
Graphics Processor Detail: loaded: Yes, supported: Yes, compute: Yes, init: I4_GPU3, hard: success, soft: success, al: Yes, dl: No
OS Media Capability: true

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here, having same problem on Lightroom classic on a PC but when I use the mobile app, it works perfectly. so frustating, but seems like a great tool!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i need help too as my update isnt working. i have windows 10, the latest version of the app. on my iphone it works for the subject select - but i cant edit on my phone. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue! Anyone have a solution yet? I've updated my video driver and it's not fixed anything that I can tell.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I've updated my video driver and it's not fixed anything that I can tell."

Please do the menu command Help > System Info and we can verify that you have the latest driver for your graphics card. (For various reasons, many people posting here thought incorrectly that they had the latest driver.)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please be aware that the latest Windows-10 update (Jan 2022) may remove the custom Intel video driver that address the issue. This then causes the probeln to resurface. If this happens, just reinstall the Intel driver again.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography, this thread should be merged with the other, longer thread which has a more useful correct answer and more details about which graphic cards can be updated and which can't:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-windows-only-select-subject-or-select...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downloaded 202 masking LRC upgrade to laptop.  Masking does not work.  Uninstalled and reinstalled LRC but do not solve the problem.  Masking feature works fine on my main desktop computer.  What is wrong?

thank you for your assistance

Sharon

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please describe the problem in more detail.

Please provide the following basic information:

Adobe Forum.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a laptop with LrC 11.1. Recent LrC upgrades completed.  

when  I open a photo in develop module, then click on mask icon, then select subject (or sky) a pop up warning states

"something went wrong.  There was an unexpected error and your request could not be completed"

The rest of LR works fine.

Windows 10 Home Premium edition version 10.0.1093

Built in  memory 8097 M B

Graphics Processor  Direct X Intel (R) Iris (TM) Graphics 540(22.20.16.4749 from Lightroom info

Yoga 900-131SK2 Signature Edition

64-bit operating system x 64 -based processor

from Yoga setting  Pntel (R) core i&-656OU CPU @2.20GHz 2.21

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this has been answered in this forum, but I don't know the answer.

Do a search for "something went wrong"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your graphics driver is 4.5 years old. Many people have resolved this problem by updating to the latest graphics driver, following these steps:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html#solution-4

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I try to use Select Subject, lightroom crashes, then I have to ctrl alt delete and end lightroom task.

It's been like this since windows updated, if I am correct. I have tried the community and google, but nothing helps.

Thanks

Lightroom V11.2

Windows 10 Pro

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31230 @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz

16GB ram

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines