• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Writing changed develop settings immediately to XMP, not waiting for another photo to be selected

LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My LR 11.0 / Mac OS 11.6 is writing changed develop settings back to XMP as soon as they occur, not waiting until another photo is selected.  See the attached screen recording.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

From Engineering:

"If Lr moves into background i..e it loses focus then all the changes will be written to XMP(for single image). This is done after considering "Edit in Photoshop" workflow. From the screencast, I can see that user is checking values in terminal and thus LR loses focus at that time."

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ack, wrong forum. Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography, please move to Bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to bugs as requested.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe always includes an announcement about newly released updates/upgrades in the community pages. If you look near the top of Discussions, you can access it

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lightroom-classic-11-0-is-now-available...

In that is always a link to What is new

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/whats-new.html

Not to be rude, but this is a common issue, members not reading the what is new article. This should always be a first step before starting a new version of LrC. In it you will see a section on Improved Metadata Workflow, a change in when the xmp file is written is included in that document, this is the new standard behavior. 

Earlier, every single edit in Develop Module was saved into XMP. With these enhancements, edits will be saved into XMP only after active image selection changes.

Now, the XMP will be saved automatically as soon as there is any change in the metadata of an image. The progress bar of saving an XMP will be displayed in the Activity Center.

You can pause saving the XMP from Activity Center. This option is available only when Automatically write changes into XMP option is enabled in the Catalog Settings. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@GoldingD 

Isn't that statement contradicting itself?  In the first paragraph it says "edits will be saved into XMP only after active image selection changes" which I think is the intended NEW behavior and then the second paragraph says "the XMP will be saved automatically as soon as there is any chane in the metadata of an image" which to me means if you move a slider.  I think @johnrellis is correct this is a bug from the intended behavior.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. The release notes say, "With these enhancements, edits will be saved into XMP only after active image selection changes", but that's not how my LR 11.0 / Mac is behaving -- edits are saved immediately after being made, regardless of whether the active selection changes.

Interestingly, my LR 11.0 / Windows 10 installation behaves as the release notes describe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From Engineering:

"If Lr moves into background i..e it loses focus then all the changes will be written to XMP(for single image). This is done after considering "Edit in Photoshop" workflow. From the screencast, I can see that user is checking values in terminal and thus LR loses focus at that time."

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, indeed, makes sense.  Good to know this subtlety, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines