• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Hovering over a preset previews it but clicking on it doesn't apply it

LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2023 Oct 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To date, there have been over a dozen reports of the following: When the user hovers the mouse over a preset in the Presets panel, the preset is correctly previewed in both the Navigator and Loupe (main) views. But when the user clicks on the preset to apply it, it doesn't get applied to the photo, and moving the mouse away restores the photo's previous appearance.

For most of these reports, resetting preferences fixes the problem.  

These previous reports will be merged here to make it easier for users with this problem to find the authoritative thread.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

"The presets are displayed but the picture does not change."

Do you mean that when you click on a preset in the Presets panel, no change is made to the main image?  If that's what's happening, then try resetting LR's preferences:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Many people with these particular symptoms have fixed the problem by resetting preferences. LR sometimes soils its preferences file, and resetting it can fix all sorts of wonky behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"my presets show up but I cannot apply them"

Do you mean that in Develop, when you click on a preset in the Presets panel, nothing happens to the photo?  If so, 

try resetting LR's preferences:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

That usually fixes these symptoms. LR sometimes soils its preferences file, and resetting it can fix all sorts of wonky behavior. That article explains how to restore the old preferences if resetting doesn't help.

If resetting doesn't help, then post a screenshot as suggested by Sean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is what is happening. In the Develop module, I hover around a preset, it shows the effect in the navigator and when I click to apply it, nothing happens.  I did your attached and had to fix it manually as she directed due to there bein no button under Preferences/presets area to click anymore, and it worked temporarily but then Lightroom recreated that same file back in that same folder and it started again.  I don't know how to stop lightroom from doing that in the first place.  Irritating to say the least! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever figure this out? I've been dealing with this for months. I've reset preferences, uninstalled/reinstalled, and purchased a new macbook still with the same inability to apply presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no puedo poner el preset, solo se previsualiza y después no se queda incluso dandole click, como si no reaccionara.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google translation: "Presets are not applied to photos. I can't put the preset, it only previews and then it doesn't stay even clicking on it, as if it didn't react."

These symptoms are often fixed by resetting LR's preferences:

LR sometimes soils its preferences file, and resetting it can fix all sorts of wonky behavior. That article explains how to restore the old preferences if resetting doesn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour, 

dernière mise à jour éffectuée. Tout à l'air normal. J'importe un dossier photo.
Je passe au module développement. Je veux appliquer mon preset sur les photos

mais cela ne fonctionne pas. Pourtant je vois l'aperçu du preset dans la fenêtre 

dans la miniature en haut à gauche. Auriez-vous une idée??

Merci d'avance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @DouxGlace 

Thanks for reaching out. 

Which version of Lightroom Classic and macOS are you using?

Please try deselecting "Use Graphics Processor" in Lightroom's Preferences > Performance, then relaunch Lightroom and let us know if it helps.

Are you clicking on the presets in the Presets panel, or are you just hovering the mouse over a preset and expecting to see a preview of the preset on the large Loupe image? If so, ensure the option Preferences > Performance > Enable Hover Preview Of Presets In Loupe is checked.

Best,

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Witam 

Mam problem - Podczas pracy moje presety przestały działać . Kiedy najeżdzam kursorem ustawienia pokzaują się na zdjęciu ale nie można ich załadować . Restart nie pomaga 

Co może byc przyczyną? 

Bardzo proszę o pomoc 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please start by stating what software you are using. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the preferences of Lightroom Classic:  https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Backup your preferences prior to resetting the preferences: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/preference-file-and-other-file-locations.html

If this doesn't help we need more informations about your environment, as @dj_paige wrote .

Which operating system do you use?

Which version of Lightroom do you use?

Please post the exact version and not only phrases as "recent", "latest" and so on.

Please provide also a copy of your 'System Info'. This can be get from the LrC Help > System Info menu item.

There's a copy button in the System Info dialog. Press this button and paste the info into your next forum post.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"While working, my presets stopped working. When I hover over the settings they show up in the picture but they can't be loaded."

To test my understanding, when you hover the mouse over a preset, you see the settings applied to the photo, but when you click on the preset, the settings don't get permanently applied.

If that's correct, then many people have reported here that resetting preferences, as described above by Axel, fixes this particular problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2023 Oct 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this issue for a year or more and yes, resetting the preferences does correct it....  for a brief time and then I have to reset the preferences again.  It appears that this is a temporary fix only and there must be some other underlying issue.  A corrupt file somewhere??  I would sure like to have this problem corrected once and for all as resetting preferences removes MY preferences in my LR that I have to reset each time.  I would appreciate any help at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 08, 2023 Oct 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@pryce56, resetting LR's preferences permanently fixes the problem for most people.  

The next time the bug happens, perhaps you could save away a copy of your preferences file right before you reset, and then save a copy right after you reset. See here for how to save a copy:

Change the file extension of both files to ".txt" and send them as attachments to me via a private message (click the envelope icon in the upper-right corner). I might be able to narrow the cause of the issue by comparing the two, and then submitting a bug report. (Adobe generally won't pay attention to problems until they can be easily reproduced.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2023 Oct 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Thank you for your reply and reference article.  I will definitely do that the next time this happens. I have reset the presences dozens of times and nothing worked permanently. However this time I just started deleting presets that I don't use or had an unknown origin. To my surprise my presets started attaching themselves again. So far so good. Is it possible there was a corrupt preset?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2023 Oct 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Is it possible there was a corrupt preset?"

Certainly possible that if you hovered the mouse over a corrupt preset, LR would then get confused. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2023 Apr 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that similair threads have been out there but they are quite old.   I am running on a Mac OS 12.6.4, LRC 12.2.1 (via  subscription plan)

When I click on a preset in LR Classic.  I can see the adjustments made to the photo however, when I click on the preset the sliders in develop module do not change. When I move the cursor over the photo away from the preset, the adjustments disappear and the photo goes back to its original state (i.e. no change).

I have reinstalled and LRC am still having issues.  Any ideas?   Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you're not really clicking on the preset but just hovering your cursor over it. That previews the effect, without moving sliders. If you are really clicking and nothing happens, then perhaps you should reset the Lightroom Classic preferences: 

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many people have experienced these symptoms, where hovering over the preset in the Presets panel shows the effect of the preset but clicking on the preset doesn't actually change the sliders.  Resetting preferences as Johan advises has fixed the issue for those people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback.  I think I finally got it fixed (at least for me here).  I had a few rogue presets XMP files that were using someething like this crs:Cluster="Example" so changed to what seemed to be the default value of crs:Cluster="" and now things are working again.  I think I imported those presets a few days ago and never notice that all of the presets were not working until now.   Now I'm wondering why it did not work with the original attribute as now I loose "the nice line" that separated the presets (cluster).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you reset those preferences like we suggested? There is no reason why that Cluster tag should cause the problem you had.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did NOT reset the preferences -- the answer of just reboot the system is not always a good answer -- looked at the last two sets of plugins that I had installed and the offending cateogry was the attributes set in the XMP file for crs:Cluster.  It did not make a lot of sense to me as well but through multiple iterations the behavior was confirmed.  I do appreciate your assistance though.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines