• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paste/Sync different than preset

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tested this on a bunch of different photos, but when I edit one photo and use copy/paste or sync on other photos (with the same lighting, etc.) they end up looking much duller than the reference photo. BUT if I just re-apply the preset to one of the less vibrant, pasted-setting photos, the color goes back to normal and looks the same as the reference. I've attached images to demonstrate:

1&2 - The originals of two images taken one right after another, same lighting, same color conditions, etc.

3 - I used a preset and some manual adjustments to edit picture A

4 - I copied the edits from picture A and pasted to picture B, and as you can see, the colors in the photo are much less vibrant (same thing happens if I use sync)

5 - I just re-applied the preset to picture B, made the same adjustments as picture A and now it looks the same

Does anyone know why the color looks different when I paste/sync rather than just clicking to re-apply the preset? It would save me SO MUCH time if I could just sync rather than applying the preset to each individual photo. This happens very often and is incredibly frustrating.

MacBook Pro M1, Lightroom Classic 12.0 (happened on previous versions), Monterey v12.3.1

[moved from bugs to discussions - Mod.]

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be the same result, but only if when you copy settings (or sync settings) between photos, all relevant adjustments and especially "Treatment and profile" (top left) are selected.

A preset can be applied onto multiple selected photos - what happens when you do that? Can even be imposed as the initial processing across a new set of photos, within the import settings.

There may be some issues with transferring WB in particular, between Raw and non-Raw based images. Or transferring Exposure and Contrast and such, between HDR and non-HDR images - that kind of thing. But out of camera files of the same general sort can certainly be batch edited - absent some specific bug.

There is also selecting a batch of photos, turning on AutoSync, and then editing them all together "as one"? (remembering to turn off AutoSync straight afterwards, due to the risk of unintended actions affecting multiple images if you later forgot this was still active)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This depends on what the preset does. If the preset contains 'Auto Tone', then applying that preset will make automatic adjustments to the image. Copy/paste onto another image will not make auto tone adjustments to that second image, but simply paste the adjustment settings of the source image.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's another thing about White Balance pasting that catches people. If you're pasting with 'As Shot' White Balance, the numbers won't change, even though they're different to the original. A 5600/+20 As Shot pasted onto a 5200/+18 As Shot photo won't bump the white balance at all. You have to change the original photo's White Balance from 'As Shot' to Custom first. Then the White Balance will copy as expected. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all, I figured it out, it was just that "Callibration" wasn't checked when copying or syncing. I had tried the "Treatment & Profile" and a few other things, but for some reason, I didn't think to try Callibration until after I posted. All good now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines