• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.pdf files showing before the .NEF files in the Filmstrip

New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In prior versions of LR, after importing a photo into PS, editing, and saving back into LR, the photo file would show up AFTER the >NEF photo in the filmstrip (like a before & after edit view). Now it shows up BEFORE the >NEF photo file. This is really throwing me off. Is there any way to get the ,psd file to save after the original .NEF photo?

(I just started using LR Classic on my desktop on Windows 10)

Thank you for any assistance.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question! 

With 'Filename' sort set (A>Z) My TIFF (with an added '-Photoshop' suffix) from Photoshop appears before the DNG original!

2021-05-20 08_18_36-Roberts Catalog-v10 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg

Whereas in Windows File-Explorer the two files sort 'alphabetically' as expected.

2021-05-20 08_18_05-20200309 BPG CLUB WORKSHOP.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I may have just fixed it.(After an hour or so of going back & forth with messaging "help" from Adobe with no resolution.)

In the Library Modual, under Edit>Preferences Go to the External Editing tab...at the bottom I changed the Edit Externally File Naming: IMG_0002.psd (sample shown)

Template: (To) Filename    (from the dropdown choices)

I went back and tried editing in PS and saving back to LR and the edited .psd came after the NEF file in LR.Hopefully, it will continue this way...I hope it will help you as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I think I may have just fixed it."

Hmm, this reply from 5 hours ago just appeared after I posted.

"Template: (To) Filename"

So it sounds like your previous naming template was producing names such as "a-edited.psd", which comes after "a.nef" alphabetically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Hmm, this reply from 5 hours ago just appeared after I posted."

Had the same thing happen on a post this morning that appeared to have no replies. After entering my reply to older posts appeared!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"In prior versions of LR, after importing a photo into PS, editing, and saving back into LR, the photo file would show up AFTER the >NEF photo in the filmstrip (like a before & after edit view). Now it shows up BEFORE the >NEF photo file."

It depends on the settings you have in Preferences > External Editing

- If you have enabled Stack With Original, then the version produced by PS will be stacked on top of the original and thus will always appear first.

- If you haven't enabled Stack With Original, then first make sure that you have View > Sort > Ascending and View > Sort > Filename or View > Sort > Capture Date. Then the behavior depends on the Edit External File Naming Template set in Preferences > External Editing:

-- If the original is named a.nef and the edited version is named a.tif, then a.nef will come before a.tif because "a.nef" comes alphabetically before "a.tif".

-- But if the original is named a.nef and the edited version is named (say) a-edited.tif, then a-edited.tif will come before a.nef because because "a-" comes alphabetically before "a.".   LR differs from Windows File Explorer because LR sorts by the entire filename (e.g. "a.nef" and "a-edit.tif"), whereas it appears File Explorer sorts first by the base filename (e.g. "a" and "a-edit") and then breaks ties by sorting by the extension ("nef" and "tif").  The base filename "a" comes before "a-edit" alphabetically, so "a.nef" comes before "a-edit.tif".

If this doesn't help sort things out for, then tell us the full filenames of the original and the edited version, the setting of Preferences > External Editing > Stack With Original, and the settings of View > Sort  and View > Sort > Ascending/Descending.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines