• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Performance of LR classic and PS on a steady decline...

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I´ve used LR and PS for a while now, been subscribed since they started the subscribtion model.

I was quite happy with the general performance, especially after buying a new 27" imac in 2017 to edit my photos. 

Now things feel differently. PS crashes at least once every time I try to use it, and LR is slow as molasses. Yes, I have set the GPU to be used by the program. I have the same cameras as before, Sony A7ii and Olympus EM5ii mainly, but everything us so darn slow. And even worse is that LR insists that many of my photos are not to be found. I can watch the file in finder, and have pressed the "find missing photos" in LR, but it´s not helping. This is happening to more and more photos. 

I am frustrated. I am very close to cancel my subscribtion and not look back. I have no idea what can be done to remedy the situation, and Adobe products seem to me to be worse today than four years ago... "It´s evolving, only backwards"

Anyone have a quick fix? Adobe staff, are you there? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Patrick, there are definite issues with 10.0 moving around in Library and these have been reported and are being worked on. I write about plugins for a magazine every month, so I get to see most of the programs out there. Let me tell you that there isn't really something as close to robust as Lightroom's Library that isn't slow to use. If you were only doing quick culls and little edits, press style, then perhaps Photo Mechanic, but really, there isn't much. And you don't have to take my word, there are trials for all of the main competitors for you to try. I quite like them as plugins, but for asset management, they're not fast, or as full featured. 

On another note, I've the 2015 5K and using the 5K screen also kills Lightroom. I find it faster to run my culls on my 2nd HD monitor. With the 5K, you are always dealing with 1:1 previews, ergo, it's not gonna be fast to load them. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the input. 

I am in fact considering "downgrading" to a 4K display, 5K is way over the top imo, maybe on the new M1´s.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And even worse is that LR insists that many of my photos are not to be found. I can watch the file in finder, and have pressed the "find missing photos" in LR, but it´s not helping. This is happening to more and more photos.

This is clearly a user-caused problem. Files cannot be found by Lightroom Classic because they have been moved or renamed outside of Lightroom Classic. (Or the folders they are in have been moved or renamed). The "Find All Missing Photos" command only finds them in the Lightroom Classic Library, it does not reconnect them. You have to reconnect the photos in the LightrooM Classic Library to their new location/new name on your hard disk via these instructions: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say it is a user-caused problem, that I have renamed either files or folders and LR cannot do so.

But I can try to open an image I haven´t looked at since import, and it is not found. So as a user,  I haven´t touched the file other than importing using LR. I have of course seen the "locate" option, and have performed that on several photos. But this is a recurring issue affecting many files, but hardly folders. 

You are trying to help, I see that, but opening with "This is clearly a user-caused problem" doesn´t come through as helpful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines