• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photos disappearing in lightroom!!!!

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What on the world is going on??? When i edit my photos whether in lightoom or transporting back from photoshop...they DISAPPEAR. I am fed up with this! It is seriously intefering with my work! What is goin on?? Anyone?

Thank you in advanced for any help. 

I am on a mac LR V. 9.4

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your  workflow leading to this problem. Step by step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in most cases nothing! Just editing in Lightroom. Then as soon as I export them...gone! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR can't make a photo disappear, maybe there is something else going on in terms of the OS but we need a lot more to go on to diagnose this. 

You have all the images on the boot drive or elsewhere? These are what types of raws? You have a file name prior to this you can copy, then after this happens, can you search using the Mac search via Finder and look for the file name? 

You've run some diagnostics for the Mac like the free Onyx product? 

https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing wrong with my computer. All files are on an extrenal drive. The files are there. But in lightroom as soon as I edit them they dissapear from lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having to find the files on my external drive and then renaming them with a -A or whatever so that LR sees it as a new file. If I leave the name the same it says already imported. But it doesnt show up anywhere. When i change the file name and reimport it it finds the file. But it should NOT be this way. Its the first time this has happened. I read here thjat this is a bug in LR and please if anyone knows the fix let me know. All the best 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also notice an XMP file is being created when i import back from PS! What is that??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Batteristafoto wrote:

But in lightroom as soon as I edit them they dissapear from lightroom. 

Can you record a video of this happening. Or a before and after (disappear; what do you see, in all modules?)

Nothing unusual with XMPs being created. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, they are not going missing when you edit them, the existing files are still in LrC, still visible. What is occurring is when you export the resultant file is nor showing in Lightroom. They are not being added to the catalog.

A very very different problem than what you led with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you export. In the export dialog. Remember to click on, to check, the box that allows the files to be added to the catalog.

In the Export screen, top section Export Location, button states Add to this catalog

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/exporting-photos-basic-workflow.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternative possibility

Many users will report that an export failed to be added to their catalog despite the fact they did in fact check on that add to catalog button, only to find out they were looking for the new photo in the wrong place.

Mist common involves sort order, They are thinking they are sorting by file name, new photo similar file name, should be right next to original. Thing is, they are sorting by capture time, or file type, or etc and new photo is way way over to the right in the filmstrip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I leave the name the same it says already imported. 

Yes, so not missing, and apparently in the database, in the catalog. Check that sort order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possibility, but first a diagnostic, this one other members may scream Nooooo

After you verify my previous replys are incorrect, A bit of a experiment.

Try an export, after that, if it dies not show up, then in LrC, in the Folders Panel, for the folder the photo should be in, accomplish a Sync Folder.

Wondering if a catalog corruption is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@GoldingD wrote:

Wondering if a catalog corruption is going on.

The next step would be a catalog optimization. Can't hurt and it should detect an issue if present. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi friends and thank you all for replying. The situation is not solved yet. All the photos that are missing in the libray module and develop module I have been renaming in their original folders. On an external drive. Then I reimport the photo and it says preview already created for this file. But its not. The photo shows up fine and all...until..I close the catalogue and lightroom. Then the same thing. All photos that have been modifed including things brought in from photoshop...simply dissapear from the modules. I am at my wits end with this. My latest catalogue is the only one this is happening to. Any help is highly appreciated. Or maybe switch to capture one if I have to deal with this any longer. uffff 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all, 

I'm having a similar problem and was wondering if anyone had any clues. My issue is when I edit something in PS from lightroom and then click "save" in PS it will import back into lightroom. That's fine, but images that I've done that too will randomly get deleted from LR. When I click "save" in PS it saves on my hard drive so I do have a save of the file but I need it in LR so I can have my color labels and such so I know what to send to clients. Could it be like a cache problem where it just deletes things from the catalog to save space?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines