• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photos on an external hard drive, having issues.

New Here ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, here is my issue. I am on a MacBook. I was running out of hard disk space so decided to transfer to an external hard drive. All of my photo files and the catalog are on the external drive, but when I click on the catalog and try and find the missing files by clicking the !, The dialog box that comes up does not see the external drive, only the drive on the laptop.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to use the option to update the folder location. Then point Lightroom to the folders on the external hard drive. If the folders are arranged within a master folder you will only need to locate the master folder and all of the subfolders will be found automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click on move to a new location, same issue. The external drive does
not show up as a choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try rebooting with the drive connected?

Are you sure you have full privacy set? In System Preferences, >Security & Privacy, >Full Disk Access, do you see Lightroom listed? If not, do add it and try again.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, no dice. Still only shows my internal drive. When I download from the external drive, the pics are stored on the internal drive even though the catalog is stored on the external one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a little confused. You have the catalog on the external drive yes? But you don't see the drive mounted? But you can run LR from this catalog?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like this is a bug with Apple's latest OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@cheeznado wrote:

Looks like this is a bug with Apple's latest OS.

Not me me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines