• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photos on external drive A darker than photos on external drive B

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds impossible but when testing the same photos on 2 different external drives lest say external A and External B. I'm noticing edited photos are looking darker on external A than external B.

How could this be when I'm using the same catelog for both. 

I also checked the settings of the eidts on both files and they both match which they should because they are both using the same catelog which is stored on an internal hardrive. 

Any reason why this might happen ? 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What software are you using? What version NUMBER?

Did you Import the photo more than once?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic version: 11.0 

Opperating system: Mac OS 12

No I did not import photos more than once. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@default0ob5i3uywgws wrote:

Lightroom Classic version: 11.0 

Opperating system: Mac OS 12

No I did not import photos more than once. 

This does not sound impossible, it is impossible. How can you have the same photo on two different drives in the same catalog without having imported it twice? And why on earth would you want to import the same photo from two different drives in the first place?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are on two different drives because its a backup. The meaning of backup is a copy of the other drive. So yes they were not imported twice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are on two different drives because its a backup. The meaning of backup is a copy of the other drive. So yes they were not imported twice. 

If Lightroom sees the images on the backup, then the only explanation is that you imported the backup images as well. So yes, the images were imported twice. You should not do this however. A backup is only used when something goes wrong with the originals. In that case you replace the originals with the backup copy. Importing the backup images only leads to confusion and duplicates.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @JohanElzenga this makes senese now. 

How do you handle your workflow when you want to edit a photo that is on your external drive ? The reason I ask is my hardrive is slower than my physical machine so I find myself moving the DNG over to my mac doing the adjustments then moving it back to the external again. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photos on an external HD, that you want to edit, should be imported with the ADD option, so they stay on the external HD. 

There's no need to move photos to an internal HD for editing. The disk speed of the external HD makes almost no difference during editing, as there is very little disk activity during an edit. It might make a difference when loading the photo into the Develop Module, but I would think that is the difference between 1 second to load from external HD versus let's say 0.25 seconds to load from internal HD. I made htose numbers up to give you a feel of how small the difference is. Whatever slowness you are seeing during adjustments is not due to disk speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok great so what would you do in the case where you are mving around and you want to edit a file from a external stationary hardrive. For example I want to edit multiple files on the external hardrive and I'm going on a trip so usually with other editing software I would take those files on the external drive and move them to my laptop so I can edit them durning the trip. Then move them back when I get back home. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you move or copy them in such a way that they remain in the LrC catalog. See this document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok great so what would you do in the case where you are mving around and you want to edit a file from a external stationary hardrive. For example I want to edit multiple files on the external hardrive and I'm going on a trip so usually with other editing software I would take those files on the external drive and move them to my laptop so I can edit them durning the trip. Then move them back when I get back home. 

You don't have to move them at all. This is what smart previews are for! While the external drive is connected, select all images you will want to edit when you are on a trip and generate smart previews for them. Now you can edit these images even when the originals are offline.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just the fact that the both use the same catalog does not automaticly mean that the have the identical development settings.

Please try two things.

Move a few pohotos from external A to external B and check if the change how they look.

Do the moving withing Lightroom Classic.

Please copy all development settings from the dark photos the the other set and check if they will change.

Maybe there is a setting that is not identical.

Ralf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ralf, 

I tried all of the above and still see a differeance in the darkness. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ralf sorry I stand corrected I didn't move the image directly in lightroom from drive A to Drive B because it will not let me do that. See screen shot.

So what I did in Drive A 

• Select Photo
  • Right Click
  • Metadata > Save Metadata to file
  • Then I move the DNG file from Drive A to Drive B by making a copy. 
  • Then in Drive B I now see an option when clicking the ! on thumbnail and selecting > Import settings from disk. 

Once I import settings from disk it gives me the slightly darker version I'm seeing from drive A. All fixed again the only problem is this would be a crazy amount of work to do this to every single image which is thousands of photos. 

Do you think there is an easier way ? 

Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sounds like you forgot to save the xmp before you duplicated the files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are all DNG files so XMP files are not created for DNG files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, the metadata still needs to be saved.

and why are you keeping the backups in your catalog in the first place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't intending to keep the backup images in my catalog. I guess somewhere along the line it got added. 

I think I have an idea on how to solve this which would be to install a find duplicate plugin and try and sort through all dups. But this is going to be a huge undertaking. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you should clean your system and delete all duplicates.

Are you using TimeMachine for Backup on your Mac?

Would be a good idea, you can always include the external drive with your photos.

Ralf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines