• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photos won't display in Parent folders or All Photographs

Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading to LR4 from LR3 when I go to the library and click on "All photographs" none of my 86000 photos show up.

The same thing happens in folders module....for example:

1. My photos are in folders titled 20120306

2. Those folders are siored in a single "parent" folder called 2012

3. All the "parent" year folders are in a folder called MAIN

When I click on main it does not display any photos but it tells me how many photos are in the folder

When I click on 2012 it does not display any photos but it tells me how many photos are in the folder

When I click on 20120306 it then dislays the photos.

I am not sure why clicking on 2012 it would not show me ALL of the photos taken in 2012, that is what LR3 did......

PLEASE help as I am very puzzled by this!

Kevin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

This issue has been fixed in Lightroom 4.1, which is now available.  To download the 4.1 update, go to the Help menu in Lightroom and choose "Check for Updates".

Thanks,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 110 Replies 110
Mar 09, 2012 Mar 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will work but you give up all your publishing service configuration

Thanks

Jacques

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just working my way through this.  Importing from an LR3 catalog solves the disappearing photos problem, but I have been using the publish services a lot in LR3 and losing them is a pain.

Has Adobe not responded at all to this yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to let everyone who is following this post know that I did not hear from Adobe with any further information. I was told that I would hear back by today and since they did NOT contact me I have resubmitted a request for someone to do so. I know that there are MANY people with this same issue and all I can say is that I WILL update this post as SOON as I hear anything.

Until then a GREAT workaround with the EXACT steps were posted by richardondrovic .

Regards,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks zdybkela, just FYI, the workaround does not work for me.  I ran for over 15 hours and only processed 15k images.  I cannot get the old catalog to import.  The main problem appears to be that when the catalog gets converted, it does not create all of the previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2012 Mar 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE........I spoke to adobe this morning and they have an engineer still working on this issue! They are monitoring this forum post so instead of calling them with this same issue it would be better to post here that you are having the same problem.

This is in fact a bug with LR4 and hope to see it fixed SOON......As I said above there is a great workaround posted by richardondrovic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does work to solve the original issue but it comes at the cost of your Publish Services as they are not included in catalog export/import. Just keep that in mind before you proceed.

zdybkela wrote:

UPDATE........I spoke to adobe this morning and they have an engineer still working on this issue! They are monitoring this forum post so instead of calling them with this same issue it would be better to post here that you are having the same problem.

This is in fact a bug with LR4 and hope to see it fixed SOON......As I said above there is a great workaround posted by richardondrovic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may only be an issue with the COPY as I have over 6K in one parent directory on the HD (Win 7 64 bit) and they all show up when I click on the parent directory.

I only ever Add to the catalogue so I don't move the photos to a new location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it is also working for some folks, but not me.  I am on my 5th attempt to import the catalog to a new LR4 catalog. I have made it through importing 15k images.  My current import has been running for 9 hours and imported 2500 images.  At this rate, I need 99 more hours to complete importing of my measley 45k image catalog.   This is horrible.  The issue appears to be with the previews somehow and I suspect that once previews are actually built or copied that they are not indexed correctly and that somehow the import is doing a table scan before it actually adds each record. Like I said, I'm glad it works for others, but 100 hours to lose all my published information.....It's really sad that my LR3 catalog converted rather quickly and all the images are there along with the publish information.  You can see the counts, just no previews and no images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2012 Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

***UPDATE***

Adobe has finally contacted me and I must say that I am very disappointed. The communication was poor, it took a long time for them to get back to me and the resolution was not acceptable.

They told me what all of us with this issue ALREADY know. We must create a new catalog, import the old one and live with all of the publish services being lost.

I am really disappointed that after waiting this long the issue was not fixed by their engineers. I would expect this in a beta release but not a polished full release of a new version. It is very surprising that this was not caught during the beta.

PLease contact adobe if you are still having this issue and maybe the more people that call them the faster it will get fixed the right way instead of just a workaround.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 23, 2012 Mar 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't understand this...... Adobe is losing my sympathy!

Christopher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, no patches whatsoever and they appear not to care at all that you lose any publish information on keywords as long as you can export from one catalog and reimport it.  Sad.  The last time I contacted them, they had their response down to a routine.  Still no patches or admission that there is a problem in the catalog conversion routine.  They also keep replying to my open ticket trying to get it closed, but offering no solution except the workaround.  You all need to open chat with Adobe or call them if you are having the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding my voice from another thread on this topic.  After ~12 hours trying to make this work, which included worthless help from Chat Support and an hour on hold then a worthless 1.5 hours of telephone support I got a refund for the product.  When this gets resolved I'll consider trying again, but more likely give it some time to see what other bugs are being discovered by the Adobe test organization, aka the LR user community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2012 Mar 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly I have some smart collections >10,000 photos that do display the thumbnails.   But the standard folder won't display the thumbnails

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2012 Mar 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same symptoms - collections, published services, previous import...all showed thousands of photo's - but nothing in the standard folder in the library module showed nothing.  Selecting a photo in a collection and moving to the Develop module worked, as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

****UPDATE*****

Good evening everyone.....Looks like the wait is finally over!! Adobe Lightroom 4.1 RC (release candidate) has been released and this issue was corrected!! I just installed it and my folder previews AND publish services are all working as they did in LR3.

Here is the link.....http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom4-1/

Just a note that this is a "release candidate" and it will replace LR4 and not run "next" to it. I have had it installed for an hour and so far it looks good!!!

Overall I am very pleased with Adobe in their response to this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it fix the Photos won't display in Parent folders or All Photographs issue?

Tudor ApMadoc

28471 South Harwich Court

Farmington Hills, MI 48334

tudor@apmadoc.net

+1 248 790 9139

http://photos.apmadoc.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if my post was not clear but YES it does!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

Just to confirm, this issue is fixed in Lightroom 4.1 RC, which can be downloaded here:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lightroom4-1.html

Thanks,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Adobe for getting this fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2012 Apr 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the 'no photos in parent folders' issue and was glad to read it was resolved with LR 4.1RC  -  HOWEVER, I cannot find anywhere in the 4.1RC info that the release addresses this particular problem.  Would you, Ben, or anyone else, please point me to something that assures me, before I jump in, that my problem will be fixed  -  or can anyone tell me that they have had success and can now see their parent photos after adding the release?  I surely would appreciate it . . .

joia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Tudor!  I missed that one . . .

And, I'm hoping that it worked for you . . .

joia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this issue myself. I'm glad I came here first before doing anything drastic, like uninstall and reinstall. I'm in the process of downloading LR 4.1RC, and hope it fixes my problem. I hadn't noticed anything wrong untill this afternoon. None of my previews were displaying. Only thing that I can remember doing since the last time I ran LR4 was install the OnOne LR Presets. I'll report back later as to whether this fixes it.

GaryB

Well...I installed the LR 4.1RC and it still doesn't display any previews. I even created a new catalog and re-imported all my photos, almost 14k worth, and it still won't display any previews. I'm now having it generate standard previews, and this is taking forever! If this doesn't work, I'll have to seriously think about upgrading the ram in my iMac and start using Apeture!

Anyone else still having problems after installing the update?

Message was edited by: BroPhotography

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue that everyone else has noted.  I will wait for adobe to fix this bug as long as it doesn't take too long.  thanks everyone for your suggestions and help in this matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I attempted to contact Adobe again today through Chat.  They had me create a small LR3 Catalog of 600 photos, then export that catalog, then import that catalog to LR4.  Once it worked the chat person basically wiped his hands of any issue, indicated it is not a software problem and told me it was a performance issue.  Suggested I reduce the size of my catalog.  I respectfully disagree, but am appalled that Adobe basically has no upgrade path for a 45k image catalog and their solution is break the catalog into tiny pieces. Not really sure what that solves.  It certainly does not help me given that I use LR to publish all my stuff. I also use LR to create collages which if things are in different catalogs becomes a pain.  Really cannot understand why 45k images is such an issue.  Photoshop Elements handled the volume without issue.  When I asked whether the failed conversion from LR3 to LR4 was a bug, the answer I received was that we were able to convert your new catalog no problem......  Not really sure if they are just overwhelmed or not, but this is rediculous answer.  I have spent in excess of 60 hours attempting workarounds to convert my catalog with no answer from Adobe and no answer that works.  I'd be willing to lose all my publish information to be able to convert.  I suspect I will have to export my existing catalog into 5 or 6 other minor catalogs and then attempt to import each of those.  The problem with this approach is that the import function takes upwards to 8 hours or more to check for duplicate images once the catalog starts to grow and I cannot get the initial import to complete.  I'm basically dead in the water until Adobe fixes the conversion issue that leaves me unable to view the photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines