• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photos won't display in Parent folders or All Photographs

Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading to LR4 from LR3 when I go to the library and click on "All photographs" none of my 86000 photos show up.

The same thing happens in folders module....for example:

1. My photos are in folders titled 20120306

2. Those folders are siored in a single "parent" folder called 2012

3. All the "parent" year folders are in a folder called MAIN

When I click on main it does not display any photos but it tells me how many photos are in the folder

When I click on 2012 it does not display any photos but it tells me how many photos are in the folder

When I click on 20120306 it then dislays the photos.

I am not sure why clicking on 2012 it would not show me ALL of the photos taken in 2012, that is what LR3 did......

PLEASE help as I am very puzzled by this!

Kevin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

This issue has been fixed in Lightroom 4.1, which is now available.  To download the 4.1 update, go to the Help menu in Lightroom and choose "Check for Updates".

Thanks,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 110 Replies 110
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 13, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Has anyone experiencing this problem tried throwing out their Lightroom preferences to see if that fixes the problem?  This link describes where the preference files are located:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/843/cpsid_84313.html

Try quitting Lightroom, throwing out the preference files, and relaunching lightroom.  Let me know if that fixes the problem.  If it doesn't, it would be very helpful if someone could provide a catalog (the upgraded LR4 catalog) that is exhibiting the problem.  Only the catalog is necessary, not the photos.  The catalog can be zipped to make it smaller, and can be uploaded to Dropbox or a similar service, and you can then provide a link to it here.  Or, if you prefer, I can provide instructions for sending the catalog directly to me at Adobe via FTP.

Thanks,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Benjamin,

I have been on the phone with Adobe for over FIVE hours now and did try what you mentioned. I have talked with support and escalated support and now I am sitting stagnant waiting for a call back that I was promised by last Friday......Still NO call or NO resolution.

Contact me directly and I would be glad to send my catalog to have it looked at.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Benjamin, I have a 45k image catalog. I attempted to delete the preference file. Happy to send you the catalog for troubleshooting if you provide the upload information.  Please see my other post on where I believe the issue to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin, I've sent you a private message.

-Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is not with preferences, it is with the preview process.

When LR converts a catalog it attempts to copy the previews without question and does not give an option to "not copy" the previews.  There is an error routine that keeps tracks of what previews could not be found and therefore not copied forward during conversion. This error routine crashes LR because it cannot handle any substantial amount of mismatches.  Somewhere north of 3000 image previews not found.  I can repeat this easily by exporting more than 3000 images from my LR3 catalog for items that no longer have previews available.  In the automated catalog conversion, the previews not found is ignored (most likely because it never asked if I wanted previews copied forward) The catalog conversion works fine, but somewhere in the preview crashing, the catalog is left in a state that does not allow the regular images of the catalog to be viewed.  I can prove this.

I was successful today in first exporting my LR3 Catalog without copying previews.  This took all of 2 minutes or so. I then created a new empty LR4 Catalog and then immediately imported my recently exported LR3 catalog.  Again, about 5 minutes to convert to LR4 and all images visible no issues; other than, I lost all of my published collection information.  I am currently rebeuilding that.  Most of my publish collections use jfriedl plugins, so really not a big deal to rebuild except for Smugmug. 

The SmugMug plugin allows you to sync what is online with the catalog, but it presents potential matches....1 at a time.  I get at least two potential matches on almost every photo.  One that is an exact match with the jpg version of the file and then a potential match with the NEF.  Unfortunately, I have to tell the plug in to accept the "Perfect" match, 1 at a time.  I have 10k images at Smugmug.  So, once again, I can either switch to jfriedl's plugin for SmugMug or work my way through 10k photos 1 at a time.....At least I am working in LR4 now.  Still no reasonable answer from Adobe.  They blame the plugins and publish services and basically offered no help to retain publish information intact. Very disappointed with their support on this and not really sure why we have to trouble shoot this for them.  Perhaps they tested everything with < 500 images or with something that had recent previews all available. I delete previews after 30 days. The first thing they asked me to do was create a small catalog then convert it. Once that worked, they basically wiped their hands of the issue and stated the software is working correctly and everything else is just performance issues.  Honestly, they must not know what the issue is or don't care.  I also offered to troubleshoot it for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lancerogers wrote:

I delete previews after 30 days.

How?  You can't do that from within LR, you can only delete 1:1's.  The smaller sizes can't be deleted from inside of LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is with the "rendered" previews.  Not with the smaller sizes from inside LR.  The error routine that is "Counting" not found previews is the one that rebuilds the "Preview Data"  My catalog is working fine now and I specifically requested on export not to copy previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lancerogers wrote:

The issue is with the "rendered" previews.  Not with the smaller sizes from inside LR.  The error routine that is "Counting" not found previews is the one that rebuilds the "Preview Data"  My catalog is working fine now and I specifically requested on export not to copy previews.

All the previews, of all sizes, are rendered from inside of LR.  I delete all my 1:1s after 7 days, probably had only a few percent of them when I upgraded (out of over 100,000), and the upgrade went smoothly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, glad it worked for you.

Not sure what the issue is with my previews or why.  I do know that if I export my current LR3 Catalog with the option selected to copy previews, LR3 crashes.

If I export my catalog with the option not checked to copy previews, export runs just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2012 Mar 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After reading your post, I decided to try an experiment. I went back to my LR3 catalog and deleted all the 1:1 previews. I moved the catalog into a new directory so there was no preview folder hoping it would force LR4 to create all new previews. . I opened the catalog in LR4 and it asked if I wanted to convert the catalog. I went ahead (118k images) and it converted the catalog. Exactly the same issue as before, can't see images in parent folders with more than about >3k images. I also have lots of galleries on SmugMug I am not willing to recreate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been able to reproduce this problem using Kevin's (zdybkela's) catalog.  I've entered the issue in our bug database, so an engineer will be looking at it as soon as possible.  I'll post back to this thread when I have more info.

Thanks,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very annoyed. I have same issue here with a catalog of >80,000 images. "No Photos in Selected Folder" for every folder I select, parent, child, and All Photos.

Quality control at Adobe is obviously slipping.

Well, I tried all suggestions and experments mentioned, and closest I got after many wasted hours of fiddling was with re-importing a converted catalog into a new one, but that broke all stacked photos apart. MAJOR FAIL.

FWIW, I'm on a MBP 2011 with 8Gb RAM, OS X 10.7.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that you said you can't see any previews at all even if you click on child folders. Is that accurate  In my case I can see the photos if I click in the child folder. Early in my catalog, I have only jpegs but a few years in, I started shooting raw+jpegs on Nikon. It's in those parent folders that the problem start. I'm running LR4 on Win 7 x64 on a custom Intel PC with 24GB RAM with 6tb RAID5 array. Catalog sits on a Crucial 240gb SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, I was not able to see previews for any photo in the main catalog except for photos in publish collections, I was able to see all of those. I'm running LR4 on Win 7 x64 custom Intel 16gb RAM.  Catalog and images are on E drive (1 TB Internal HDD).  Operating system and programs are on C (Crucial 256gb SSD).  All of this was on another machine and moved to this machine, but all moves of images performed in LR, not through the OS.  I suspect that the export in the conversion routine from LR3 to LR4 catalog is filling up the error table for previews not found and rather than crashing, is most likely overwriting storage somewhere creating unpredictable results, or that another process proceeds while the error processing is still writing, but without knowing how those routines work, I'm just guessing.  I can consistently prove that LR3 crashes on export of the catalog for anything North of say about 3500 images.  However, LR4 does not crash when converting same catalog.  If I do an export for LR3 and unselect the "Copy Preview" option, no crash and import/conversion to LR4 is successful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jrg1963 wrote:

I noticed that you said you can't see any previews at all even if you click on child folders. Is that accurate 

yes it is accurate.

i can only see photos in collections but nothing in folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMO the issue is not the number of levels of folders or which level the folder is that you are trying to view..

It is the number of photos in a folder or group of folders.

For me the magic number is 3418, if there are more than 3417 photos in a folder they will not display.

If I reduce a folder to 3417 after upgrading the catalog to LR4 then the photos appear. As soon as I increase back to 3418 or more they dissappear again.

This is the same foe several levels of folders or the lowest folder.  Same thing happens.

I too have succesfully done the work around by importing either form the new LR4 catalog or the old LR3 catalog, But either way I lose publishing services.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am curious as to how many photos you have in individual collections.

Increase the number to 4000 and see if they still display.  Sounds silly I know but stranger things!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in my case the number of photos is irrelevant. Folders containing only 14 photos still don't show up.

I uninstalled Lr4 and re-installed 4 times now and got the same issue all the time.

Was also wondring when we should expect a fix on this - this week, this month or this year? I need to know so that I can take a decision accordingly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2012 Mar 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here Firillu, it did not matter for me how many photos in folders, none showed up with the exception of the publish services.  All the publish services would show the photos, the main folder would not at any level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list. MacBook Pro.

Agree with Vittoria; no matter what folders I select, as soon as there are more than 3400 (about) images the 'No Images in Selected Folders' appears and all the images dissappear.

I'll wait for fix but it is odd that it wasn't caught in beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem (Win 7 64bit). My magic number is about 1200. I'm waiting for a bugfix and furthermore work with V3.6. I will not install a faulty database.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I deleted all my 1:1 previews in LR3 cat. Then I created a new cat in LR4 and imported from cat3. It didn't take that long (1-2 hours) All 90k+ images are now visable in all folders and sub-folders including 'All Photographs'

All the keywords, develop settings, crops, flags, etc. seem to be intact.

True, the publish services is not set up.

Didn't we have to do something like this when converting LR2 to LR3? I remember it wasn't a simple task as it was supposed to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2012 Mar 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with 32k files on Win7 64.

I wait for an official statement from Adobe how to work around this or the next update before working in LR4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2012 Mar 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with my catalog (25 628 photos)

Wow this is big.. How come so many people have the same problem. Does someone have a solution? Where Adobe?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Frank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2012 Mar 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have the same issue.  Also, it seems slower than LR 3.

I have 250,000 photos, this is very frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines