Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pohotos files very low after export

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey

I noticed that when i'm exporting dng file type that created with denoise to jpeg format the file size drop extrimly.

For example, 61 MB dng file will be 2.8 MB as jpeg file.

When i'm exporting to png file this problem not occur.

Is anyone have the same problem? 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example, 61 MB dng file will be 2.8 MB as jpeg file.

When i'm exporting to png file this problem not occur.

By @zivt76943750

Absolutely nothing wrong with this. JPG is a compression technology, it attempts to make the photo take up less disk space with almost no visual loss of quality. Furthermore JPG is 8 bits per pixels per color channel while your DNG can be 12 or 14 bits per pixel per color channel. All of that means JPG of 2.8 MB is probably fine.

How can you tell if the JPG is okay? You look at it with your own eyes and see if it seems to have the quality you expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To add to what @dj_paige said: JPEG compression does not work too well on noisy images, but very well on images without noise. That means that exporting a denoised DNG as jpeg can indeed give a remarkably good compression, so a fairly small file.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines