• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Poor quality export (Banding)

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a photo, taken with a flash, of a very sharp subject and a very dark background. The photo, including the background looks great when viewed in Lightroom. However, the export (jpeg or tiff) has a poor quality background. To be specific, instead of a smooth gradient from light to dark (or dark to less dark), there are consentric rings of monotonal areas. It kind of looks like a topographical map. It's also very pixelated. I'm only seeing this poor quality in the dark background and not the well-lit subject. Also, the poor quality is not seen in the preview image in lightroom. Any help would be appreciated.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

"BANDING".!  Google "Image Banding" and you will get plenty of information.

https://photographylife.com/what-is-color-banding-and-how-to-fix-it

A JPG file is limited to an 8 bit file, meaning it can only contain 256 discreet tones of brightness (compare with 16bit  65,535 range of tones).

Banding created in a JPG file is often more prevalent in large areas where tones are very 'close'. eg. blue skies, or your dark background.

It seems that one way to reduce banding is to add some 'Noise' to the

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show us your Export settings used? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"BANDING".!  Google "Image Banding" and you will get plenty of information.

https://photographylife.com/what-is-color-banding-and-how-to-fix-it

A JPG file is limited to an 8 bit file, meaning it can only contain 256 discreet tones of brightness (compare with 16bit  65,535 range of tones).

Banding created in a JPG file is often more prevalent in large areas where tones are very 'close'. eg. blue skies, or your dark background.

It seems that one way to reduce banding is to add some 'Noise' to the problematic areas.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Rob_Cullen. I figured there would be a name for that. Now I know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines