Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preset replication PROBLEM

Participant ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I am working on a group of raw files and I made a bunch of edits to the file, loved it and saved it as a preset.  As I went on working on the files I tried to replicate the effect without using the preset to figure out exactly what I loved about the effect on these particular files.  I made two copies of the raw file without any edits and applied the preset I loved to one, then manually tried line by line to replicate the effect on the other file. I copied everything one by one.  EVERYTHING.  Several times.  And the files always end up looking very different.  I spent over 2 hours on Adobe support today and no one could help me or really even figure out what I was trying to say (which is not commonly my experience on Adobe Support).  I am so stumped.  AND yes I made sure to copy all HSL and color grading edits.  I'm attaching here the preset I want to be able to manually recreate and a preset of what the settings are when I manually recreate every setting.  

I'd appreciate any help..

Many thanks,

Mac OS 12.4

LR 11.4

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I applied the two presets one to a photo and the other to its Virtual Copy: the two presets different, the settings are different.

You have different: Exposure, RGB Channel curves, Lens Correction, Sharpening, Post Crop Vignetting.

You missed some panels when trying to replicate the preset you liked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I compared the two presets in BBEDIT on my MAC and there are too many differences in the adjustments to list here.  

The best way to see what you preset does is load the Preset Text into a text editor and look at the values that are being used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies everyone.  In my haste I must have uploaded the wrong presets.  I will upload again momentarily

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SRPcashie 

In any case there is a very useful Plug-in that you can use to compare settings (between two photos)

You can find it here: Bag-o-Goodies  

It doesn't detail all the exact different settings BUT it will tell you in which panel there are differences so it narrows down the search.

It has been updated few weeks ago and it will provide super accurate  Masking comparison reports.

This said I have been asking for years to have a "Right Click: Show Preset Settings" option which would make life easier... hopefully it will arrive in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I am redid everything again and am uploading the two presets again.

@C.Cella I downloaded and installed Bag o goodies and did 'compare edits' and it says they are exactly the same and it's a needless copy (which I think is a great feature). But they still look totally different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will investigate as soon as I am back home.

Just to make sure I understand the issue fully: your photo has a preset applied, you then "manually" change the same settings for its Virtual Copy BUT they look completely different?

Do I get it right!?

Can you share a screenshot of the two images side to side?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you got it! that's exactly the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried your two presets and the Tone Curve channels are different, expecially the Green and Blue.  The Detail panels are totally different.  The Lens Correction Panels are different.  

As I said before, if you want to see what you did in a preset, load it in a text editor and check the values that are set.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I don't use the tone curve panel much especially for the RBG channels.  I didn't apply that.  My lens correction panel shows as entirely the same and when I run it through the above program it says the files are the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I reset a photo to Adobe Default using the Adobe Default Preset included with LrC, created a Virtual Copy, applied one preset to the Original and the other preset to the Virtual Copy.   The photos look different and a comparison of the panels show the differences I stated.   

Are you starting with and unedited photo?   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The differences I found appear to be similar to what @C.Cella found.  As far as the RGB channel difference, you applied it as LrC didn't do it on its own.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it could have been a preset I made on old LR using sliders instead of wheels.  In any case how would I manually reproduce it without the tone curve?  I don't find dragging the tone curve to be very precise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SRPcashie 

I have downloaded the "Adobe test" and the "Rizo warm 2" presets.

I applied them to two Virtual Copies.

They are not the same, and the Compare Edits Plug-ins shows they are not the same.

it could have been a preset I made on old LR using sliders instead of wheels.  In any case how would I manually reproduce it without the tone curve?  I don't find dragging the tone curve to be very precise.

By @SRPcashie

You can try using the Color Grading but it won't give you the same result as changing a RGB curve.

For precise adjustments place a control point, then enter the Input and Output values manually in the edit boxes.

That gives absolute precision.

I still don't understand how the photo and its virtual copy can be identical, even when the settings are compared, and yet they appear different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the photos are synced the same with a lens profile correction and sharpening. All have the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The presets are obviously different.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to me Bob, sorry.  I don't see any difference.  Maybe my LR is broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@C.Cella compared the presets with his Plugin and it showed differences and I compared them in BBEDIT and it shows differences.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Compared as text (with an online compare app)- They ARE different. Enough to make a difference.

Just part of the comparison in the screen-clip:

2022-06-30 13_17_45-Text Compare! - An online diff tool that can find the difference between two tex.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines