• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Presets a total mess in Lightroom 7.3

Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe work with us here. You just pushed an update that makes a total mess of everyone presets, even though you were notified of problems during the beta. We all like new features but come on. Is this programming school?

First, presets are changed to XML without asking. Ok, I see where they're going with the more compatible format and it has potential. But it's like Adobe did not even bother to see if it worked. Sure favorites are cool, but along with them, we are stuck with even more clutter of default preset folders and no way to remove them even though your customers have been asking for years.

Worse, Presets are randomly out of order inside their folders. It does not even make sense the random they are arranged. It's chaos for the LR organization many of us have developed over the years.

Next, the "Show Lightroom Presets" button in preferences still goes to the old presets folder and the original presets are there but no longer show up in because Lightroom is looking for the converted XML presets that are now in the Camera Raw folder. You didn't even bother to update the button? From what I can tell new presets installed in that official location will not only not show up, there is no way to convert them after the initial update.

I have thousands of photographers using preset packs I design. At this time I'm going to downgrade my working projects and recommend that people do not update until we have a solution for these blatant issues. I'll start tinkering for a temporary solution and everyone, please share if you have any until Adobe fixes this. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Everyone I've summerized the solutions we have found in a video and links to the file tools people have made that workaround the sorting bug (as well as how to downgrade) on my blog if anyone needs help with this... http://seimeffects.com/2018/04/06/lightroom-7-preset-order/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you joep for stepping up and sacrificing your Lightroom and doing the work Adobe won't do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, did you have issues with VSCO Film Tool Kit not converting to .xmp files? I'm getting errors and wondering if you got any? Yes I have updated to 7.3.1 Thanks.

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 23.26.53.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 23.29.25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully the release of the latest update Lightroom Classic CC 7.3.1released today, will address some of the issues highlighted in this thread.

Adobe apologizes for Lightroom Classic CC bugs, releases bug fix update: Digital Photography Review

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not an apology. And they just took one pass with a bulldozer to clean up after the tornado.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bruce you gonna upgrade? me still no way lol.  Its laggy enough let alone introducing more severe lag

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to wait. Seems like there are still a few issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is still not forthcoming with information about managing presets. And although the new profiles and LUTs look like a nifty improvement I'm unsure what the effect on my images will be going forward. Mind you, the profiles are a fundamental shift in RAW processing. I'd very much like Adobe to not change the default from years previous. If the default profile change I want to be the one to change after evaluating the effect. These fundamental shift in workflow and image processing are hand to us in a heavy handed manner without any good opportunity to evaluate. I'm on the edge of saying 'Screw all this' and bailing for a different platform such as Capture One or Photo Mechanic with one of the RAW processing choices out there. Adobe is getting the Exxon attitude, 'We don't care. We don't have to'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BruceDenis  wrote

And although the new profiles and LUTs look like a nifty improvement I'm unsure what the effect on my images will be going forward.

The first thing I noticed was that if you apply a profile that black and whites an image, Black and White Mix works in a very different way. I thought at first that it stopped working altogether; I was darkening a sky and lowering the blue mix had no effect at all if I'd applied a B&W profile but then I had a different result working on another image. If a profile had been applied and I lowered the blue mix on this second image, blue areas mixed down only very slightly, red mixed down a lot. On the other hand, if I simply hit the B&W button, blue mixed down a lot, red less so. With a B&W profile applied the results are not what I'd expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated today and still having issues. Just rollback to 7.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you please elaborate on your issues today?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How's it feel to abdicate support of your product? I pay Adobe to push screwball updates and let customer do their support work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are still default folders at the top above our custom ones that we can't delete or move... those need to go away or at least give us control over them!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question:   After version 7.3.1 where are the presets going to be maintained?  Are they all going to be in the Camara Raw .xmp files?

Reason I ask, I had used a text editor to fix all my .xmp files so they sorted right.  Then using LR, I edited some to make preferred adjustments.  I eventually copied all the XMP files to my other 2 machines so they all ran the same.

Today I upgraded to 7.3.1 and all the work was replaced with a new conversion from my old .lrtemplate settings which undid any new edits I made.

What are the future plans?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally, after weeks, we get a fix for massive bugs that never should have been released. That's good I guess. The sorting and the bug that was resetting presets from BW seems to be fixed.

The Show LR presets folder still is broken. Some presets are stored there but Develop presets are stored in Camera Raw. There needs to be two buttons. Also still no ability to revive the crappy built-in presets that clutter up our workspace. Ridiculous.

The full image preview when you mouse over a presets has still not been corrected. I can't find any way to disable it and it's crazy slow, even a 2013 Mac Pro. I can't believe how laggy Lightroom has become. After this complete mess and the fact that so many things are still not corrected, I think it's fair to say Capture One, OneOne Raw etc should be given serious consideration for us professionals that actually need to get work done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love working in Lightroom, so I'm very grateful to you! And on a blog that I often read a lot of interesting things, for example - Free Lightroom presets for portraits collection http://fixthephoto.com/free-lightroom-presets-for-portraits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone tell me what a double ~ means infront of my old presets? Some have a single and some a double.

Also if I remove the ~ at the front of my old presets will that tell Lightroom to re-convert that to .xmp?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesus!!!! I'm paying for rolling updates with this stupid subscription and they continuously are screwing me!  Note to self: STOP UPDATING! Just STOP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2018 Apr 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a complete mess. I have the latest update and you can't manage presets at all. I've had presets and folders disappear. I moved a lot of presets from within the LR interface, which sort of works. Some moved, but still appeared in the old folder, some didn't move at all. Regardless, after moving, I go into the folder under Camera Raw and everything i moved is gone from the source folder, but none of them are there in the destination folder.

I understand what they are trying to do, but they haven't done it. They broke it, ignored beta testers and released this garbage on us. I would scrap them all and start over, but not sure you can even do that. I'll be over at On1 until they get this mess sorted out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone please answer a technical question here:

Under the latest LR version, how do you backup presets?  I can obviously copy all of the xml present files, but they no longer seem to be stored in folders.  How do I backup the folder structure of the presets so if my computer crashes I can restore the presets in the same categories and order that they are now.  It seems that the develop presets folder structure is now stored in some other file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2018 Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Under the latest LR version, how do you backup presets?  I can obviously copy all of the xml present files, but they no longer seem to be stored in folders.  How do I backup the folder structure of the presets so if my computer crashes I can restore the presets in the same categories and order that they are now.  It seems that the develop presets folder structure is now stored in some other file?

For develop presets, backup the folders containing them.  The group containing a preset (the "folders" you see displayed in the Presets panel) is actually stored int the preset's .xmp file itself.  LR doesn't care anymore which subfolder the .xmp file is stored in -- it uses the group from inside the .xmp file.

See the free Fix Presets plugin to make the folder structure of your presets reflect their group names and, conversely, make the group names reflect the folder structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines