• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preview icon does not show on desktop (MAC)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When in the Print module and selecting jpeg, I no longer see a preview icon on my desktop. It just shows the jpeg preview illustration.  Show icon preview is selected in my finder.  I have jpegs on my desktop that show the preview, just not the ones I produce from Lightroom.  Any help would be appreciated.  DT 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Lots of complaints about Quick Look in Mac OS 12 (Monterey) not always showing thumbnails for JPEGs and other image formats, e.g.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253316401 

I didn't research it thoroughly, but many have posted they get only temporary relief by Force Quit / Relaunch Finder, by rebooting, or killing the QuickLookUIService processes.

I developed the PSB Quick Look plugin years ago and have maintained it through many OS upgrades, and in my opinion, the Quick Look service was not

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the same lack of a thumbnail on Monterey, is that your OS as well?

I also do not see a thumbnail if I export the image, even as a TIFF etc.

I don't know for a fact it is Lightroom Classic and not the OS but I suspect the former and will file a bug report offically. But in the meantime, please let us know what OS version you're running.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This must be a Monteray problem as it works correctly on Big Sur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This must be a Monteray problem as it works correctly on Big Sur

By @Bob Somrak

Seems the case, Photoshop too doesn't save a thumbnail. But I'd like to hear from the OP to confirm he's also on Monterey.

Or Apple has changed something and Adobe needs to 'fix' what they changed. That old game again.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing thumbnails generated when I export say a JPEG from Apple Photo's. Or Photoshop. This looks like an OS bug to me, not Adobe's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of complaints about Quick Look in Mac OS 12 (Monterey) not always showing thumbnails for JPEGs and other image formats, e.g.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253316401 

I didn't research it thoroughly, but many have posted they get only temporary relief by Force Quit / Relaunch Finder, by rebooting, or killing the QuickLookUIService processes.

I developed the PSB Quick Look plugin years ago and have maintained it through many OS upgrades, and in my opinion, the Quick Look service was not particularly well-architected and has had numerous problems over the years. I suspect it's one of the parts of Mac OS that doesn't get the best talent assigned to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forcing the Finder to quit did the job (for the time being). Got a thumbnail out of Photoshop this time.

Not a big deal (sloppy of Apple) but Monterey hasn't been a great upgrade for me: Safari is nearly unusable. So Firefox until the dot release which will hopefully fix this and more.

I've pulled the bug report to Adobe about this, clearly it's an Apple issue. Thanks for confirming and providing a temp fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for your insights.  Magic, it now works..... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what changed now that it works..?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, I don't know.  I rebooted the computer a few time, didn't work and then it did?  DT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I rebooted the computer a few time, didn't work and then it did?"

That's what others have reported (and that it can stop working again soon).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, force quitting the Finder. But I totally expect this will only be a temporary solution and may need to do so again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines