• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Previews not showing up

Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to have an odd issue.   Since moving to a new laptop (14" M1 Pro MBP), I've been working with old photos that I haven't looked at in a while.   In Library, only the first 14 photos in the filmstrip are showing previews.   The other previews don't load until I switch to Develop and then look at each photo individually.   At that point the most previews load.   The stubborn ones will then load if I just move my cursor over the greyed out preview in the filmstrip.

Thoughts?

Running LR Classic 11.1; maxOS Monterey 12.0.1

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

What you describe is indicative of the Previews Cache file having been deleted (or not copied to a new laptop).

As your Grid view 'looks' at more photos in the library, LrC has to re-build the preview thumbnails (that first appear grey) by reading the original image file. (LrC may be taking its time by locating the originals in the new system)

You could re-build all previews by-

1) Choosing the [All Photographs] list in the Catalog panel. (Unstack all. Clear any FIlters)

2) Select all [Ctrl+A]

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you describe is indicative of the Previews Cache file having been deleted (or not copied to a new laptop).

As your Grid view 'looks' at more photos in the library, LrC has to re-build the preview thumbnails (that first appear grey) by reading the original image file. (LrC may be taking its time by locating the originals in the new system)

You could re-build all previews by-

1) Choosing the [All Photographs] list in the Catalog panel. (Unstack all. Clear any FIlters)

2) Select all [Ctrl+A]

3) Command MENU: Library > Previews > Build Standard Previews

Have a coffee and allow it some time to complete.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip.   It worked but now I have also have a 50 GB preview file.  Luckily I have the hard drive space available.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a follow up, is there a way to reduce the size of the preview file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Previews File is a 'working' (dynamic) cache that allows you to view all the various ways you look at your photos in LrC (Zoomed, Full-screen, Loupe, etc), so it is essential.

Deleting the Previews file is one way to 'Refresh' the cache file, it will automatically re-build (taking its time!) as you have experienced.

You can-

Import new files with "Minimal" previews. The down-side is that you may experience pauses when a larger preview is needed and created.

Set your Standard Preview Size to a specific (Smaller?) size in the Catalog Settings.

Do not build 1:1 previews for all photos. (and Set a 'DIscard' time in Catalog Settings)

And you can set Preferences to delete 1:1 previews after a set time.

2022-01-09 08_37_16-Window.jpg       2022-01-09 08_37_39-Window.jpg

Do not build Smart Previews (unless you have understood the reasons 'why' you might use them!)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines