• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Print module not displaying preview (Mac OSX Catalina 10.15.7) LightRoomClassic10.4—11

Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TheLightroom is installed on a clean system (fresh formatted HD). All file/folder permissions checked and corrected with shell script "LightroomCorrectPermission.sh" by Adobe.

This bug is very old and occurs on both Mac and Win from about the time of Oliver Cromwell. Wondering why no one at Adobe is answering this question? Maybe they don't know how to fix it, and that's why they are ashamed? What an awkwardness!

In version 11 the same bug

Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 21.10.08.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Download this custom template at https://www.dropbox.com/s/kod3d66uzglsdqi/8x10%20to%20Epson3880.lrtemplate.zip?dl=0

Unzip and install where you store Print Presets > User Presets (I don't know if you're using Store Presets with Catalog or not and toggling this on and off might be useful too but do place this template where the other user Print Templates belong). Anyway, you know where these  templates live and it needs to show up in your copy of LR's Print Module. 

Might as well just stick with

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Thedigitaldog!

Your magic template works!
+ After installing your template, all other templates started working! Now the print module is fully operational! I believe Adobe should now share with you some of the profits for fixing a multi-year and cross-platform bug.

Thank you for your patience, helpfulness and wit!

Resolved!
Good Luck!

Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 12.36.01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wondering why no one at Adobe is answering this question? Maybe they don't know how to fix it, and that's why they are ashamed?

Your fellow members in this community site are not Adobe employees. Adobe occasonaly reply's, but not often.

You might want to communicate with Adobe

Bottom right contact us in:

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

and others

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, missed this. note in the filmstrip, in the thumbnail, the !

Original photo missing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original photo is no missing. It's simple and has been tested many times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with @GoldingD ! All the filmstrip thumbnails are showing the exclamation mark [!] that indicates Lr-Classic believes the photos are "Missing".

YOU might know where the files are, but Lightroom does not.

You need to investigate the 'Missing' notification.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No exclamation mark on the filmstrip thumbnails— this is a "Flag" marks. All files are in their places and Lightroom recognizes them. The screenshot can be enlarged. Do it please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Maxime Zheleznyakov wrote:

No exclamation mark on the filmstrip thumbnails— this is a "Flag" marks. All files are in their places and Lightroom recognizes them. The screenshot can be enlarged. Do it please.

Sorry, but I DO see ! In the fimstrip, but yes, it is kind of small. But by all means, if you can post a screen capture enlarged to show us it isn't there, that would be helpful. 

Again, with one of the images, what shows up in Develop at 1:1? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original photo is no missing. It's simple and has been tested many times.

Ah, OK. Then please go into Develop module, select one or more of the images in your first post and zoom into 1:1 and show us what you see. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not if these are Smart Previews. I should have asked. Are they?

Try resetting preferences ( https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html ) better? 

In print module, do you see anything if you disable GPU in preferences? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the numbers I see in the Print module for cell size etc, look kind of odd. Can you select an image (like this one without !) and pick a different template or make a new one from scratch. Does this change anything in terms of the image showing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Picking a different template does not solve this problem. Making another template from scratch, too

Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 01.20.53.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Switching the GPU does not solve the problem and does not fix this bug.
2. resetting preferences does not fix this bug. Not better
3. No, these are not smart previews. This is a full resolution previews.
4. I also used a script from Adobe: "LightroomCorrectPermission.sh". Not better
Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Switching the GPU does not solve the problem and does not fix this bug.
2. resetting preferences does not fix this bug. Not better
3. No, these are not smart previews. This is a full resolution previews.
4. I also used a script from Adobe: "LightroomCorrectPermission.sh". Not better
Any ideas?

Again yes, please create a new template or reset everything used to configure the one you've picked so all the parameters default, any difference? 

Can you export this raw as a DNG to honor all the edits you've made, wrap a profile into it etc, then upload in maybe Dropbox or similar so we can examine how it appears on a different machine? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does the file have to do with it? Raw or DNG. Files is ok. The Lightroom PRINT module  does not work! Or am I just an idiot with a senseless 25 years of experience in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only 25 years?
You want help or you want to rant???

Let's try something else before I give up on you: Download, unzip, import this, does it show?
http://www.digitaldog.net/files/2014PrinterTestFileFlat.tif.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 01.40.35.pngScreen Shot 2021-11-19 at 01.40.49.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download this custom template at https://www.dropbox.com/s/kod3d66uzglsdqi/8x10%20to%20Epson3880.lrtemplate.zip?dl=0

Unzip and install where you store Print Presets > User Presets (I don't know if you're using Store Presets with Catalog or not and toggling this on and off might be useful too but do place this template where the other user Print Templates belong). Anyway, you know where these  templates live and it needs to show up in your copy of LR's Print Module. 

Might as well just stick with testing my TIFF test file. It isn't the file type at this point, but it may be a template issue.  

Click on that TIFF, then select the template from Dropbox. Does an image show and can you provide screen capture of the settings like you did in your last post (I want to see Cell Size, Margins etc). 

Does the Book Module show a preview? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thedigitaldog!

Your magic template works!
+ After installing your template, all other templates started working! Now the print module is fully operational! I believe Adobe should now share with you some of the profits for fixing a multi-year and cross-platform bug.

Thank you for your patience, helpfulness and wit!

Resolved!
Good Luck!

Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 12.36.01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My template isn't magic. It's not corrupted like your are. Seems yours have been hosed since the time of Oliver Cromwell. <g>

I asked you to try to create one from scratch a few of my posts earlier and it seemed you didn't? If you did, and it didn't work, seems there is something screwy with your HD or something. 

Corruption of presets, like preference files is nothing new. It happens to some, can't explain why. Never happened to me personally (Adobe user of PS since early 1990), maybe just lucky.

Back up all your presets! 

Back up everything that could get lost, damaged, corrupted. 

Now go make prints....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing like this has ever happened to me either. Google won't let vyt lie — this subj worries many users on both Mac and PC for as many years as Lightroom has existed (since the time of Oliver Cromwell). There is no right answer or solution anywhere! Please Google it if you are interested.  And now it happened on my computer...
At the beginning, I wrote that lightroom was installed on a clean system and on a formatted disk. I did it after discovering this Lightroom bug. Immediately after installing the Lightroom on a clean system, the print module was working properly. The destruction of the printing module occurred after installing other Adobe packages: Photoshop, Illustrator, and Indesign. No means helped, including: Adobe online support, Adobe recommended scripts, repair permissions,HD verifications....
I don't understand why other Adobe packages were able to break the templates of the Lightroom print module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't understand why other Adobe packages were able to break the templates of the Lightroom print module.

They didn't, at least there is zero proof they did.

Neither of us have the source code of any Adobe application and neither of us would understand it if we did. If you feel better and happier blaming Adobe, be happy. The fact is, your templates were somehow corrupted. That you couldn't load an image and the really odd numeric values I pointed out earlier made it clear, after we got past the part where you were, at in some examples, clicking on images not in the catalog (!) and after we tested an image that did show in Develop, simply allowed some to deduce then reason as to where the problem lay. Your print templates. Other presets and templates could be hosed too??? Do check. 

Your problem, for the time being is fixed. And the (far too many 'correct answers') remain here for others to view should they run into the same issue. There is, at least for now, for you, a right answer. That's all we volunteers in this forum can strive for. Case closed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still following the thread. I do see your problem, but have no answer.

Yes, you are selecting an 'Original Image' file that is not missing. (Some of your 'Red Label' files ARE missing.)

Sorry to mislead you on that suggestion.

Not Smart Previews, yes, the Histogram indicates 'Original Photo'.

Even if there are no images selected (Ctrl+D)  you should still be seeing an empty white page in the central window.

In your last screen-clip I note that the 2x(5x7) Template is selected , but the 1x(6x4) is still in the Preview panel!- Strange.

Difficult to suggest other options, maybe-

--Check for an upgrade to your Graphic Card Driver from the OEM.

--Backup first, then Clean your system with CLEANER TOOL LINK and re-install LrC.

Hopefully @TheDigitalDog is still researching.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's so odd about his screen capture is the numbers I see for Margins or Cell Size as an example: odd (and many) numeric values with NO units. I simply can't select an image, pick any option for Ruler Units or Cell Size and get anything close to that OR see a readout without units (in, cm, etc).

I still think the print templates are wonky. And yes, print templates can do this (get corrupted/screwy). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines