• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Print quality from LrC

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I'm new to LrC and am having an issue with print quality. When I'm done adjusting my images, I export them to my hard drive as sRGB (same laptop.)  When I open the image on my hard drive to review, it appears over saturated for a split second before settling on my screen.  Once "settled", it looks like what I expected and matches what it looks like in LrC.  The issue is that when I received prints back from Shutterfly, the photos looked like the "split second over saturated version" of the image.  Has anyone seen this?  I'm not sure if this is an issue with S'fly, my computer, or something else.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts.  Mike

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The split second update and the output are not related.

You must view the image in Develop and soft proof first of all. That means an ICC output profile from the lab, NOT sRGB! sRGB is a Working Space and not an output color space. This is the main reason you don't get a visual match to the print. 2nd and equally important is having a calibrated (for a print match) and display profile for that display to soft proof.

The split second update isn't ideal if the end result is an incorrect preview but that doesn't sound like what you are describing. You can try disabling GPU in preferences which may 'fix' this update of the preview. But the big issue is a lack of ideal color management for print to display matching outlined here:

https://youtu.be/iS6sjZmxjY4

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks!  I'm sorry, but I'm not fully understanding the "That means an ICC output profile from the lab, NOT sRGB! sRGB is a Working Space and not an output color space" you reference.  

Just to clarify, I look at my imdages in Develop and Library modes to make sure they look like I want.  They do, and that image matches the final image on my hard drive, which is what I want.  It's the early/transitional split second image that is not what I want, but it ends up being what is printed for me. 

What should the "color space" be on export in the File Settings?  I only see sRGB, Display P3, Adobe RGB (1988), ProPhoto RGB?

Sorry, but I'm about a 6 out of 10 on this knowledge...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Output ICC profile: a profile that defines the output of the printer for soft proofing and conversions to that output color space.

NOT all labs supply one unfortunately because they are rather clueless about color management and don't think it is important for you to soft proof the image.

sRGB is not what the printer is producing. The lab may demand sRGB (suboptimal but that's another story) but sRGB isn't a preview of the output. No printer produces sRGB. Nor is any RGB Working Space like Adobe RGB (1998) or ProPhoto RGB although if allowed, better to send (a wider color gamut).

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again.  Can you clarify the detailed

steps I should take?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you watch the video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have it queued up, but am compiling some notes on what you've provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This posting may help https://support.shutterfly.com/s/article/icc-profiles-and-color-management-1

By @DS256

Right off the bat, nonsense:

1. Either calibrate your monitor to be sRGB or use monitor profiles for soft proofing your images.

And colorimetrically impossible:

"all our printers will produce sRGB colors accurately."

No printer produces sRGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood (and agree on the calibration point) but the OP issue is with the results from Shutterfly and this is their support page for image issues. Likely there may be other points that help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Their 'support page' is filled with a good deal of misinformation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines