• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing a soft-proofed copy of a RAW file

Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really basic and probably very stupid question for a newbie here....

When I print out an image from LRs print module should it be the original (edited) RAW file or the virtual copy created for softproofing (and then subseuqently edited) that is selected for printing?

If its the soft-proof copy (which I presume it is) then how do I turn it from a virtual copy into a real image file so that I have a definitive version of the RAW/image file to keep somewhere?

(Because I am learning the ropes I have a habit of tinkering with images and I can see a situation in the future where I have a RAW file plus various copies - virtual or otherwise - which I have edited differently and dont know which one associated with the hardcopy prints)

Thanks in advance

Tom

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Because I am learning the ropes I have a habit of tinkering with images and I can see a situation in the future where I have a RAW file plus various copies - virtual or otherwise - which I have edited differently and dont know which one associated with the hardcopy prints)

If you're prinitng to a local printer attached to your system simply give the virtual copy a unique 'Copy Name' using the Library module's Metadata panel. If using an outside priting service choose 'Print To' JPEG File in the Print module's Print Job panel. You can also add keywords, color labels, star ratings, and pick flags to the virtual copy for better identification. No need to export it to an actual file copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The virtual copy, of course. Why would you create a special printing virtual copy at all if you eventually would not use it for printing? You do not have to "turn it from a virtual copy into a real image file". As long as you're in Lightroom, a virtual copy is like a real copy. The fact that it's virtual is just a technicality that is of no concern. Just select the virtual copy for printing, that's all.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Proof Copy (VC) exists because you soft proofed an image AND started editing based on that soft proof. So you'd want to print from that Proof Copy. You are creating output specific edits, so you'd want to output those edits. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines