• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem exporting files - missing files in exported folder

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have edited 20 RAW files and then exported them in JPEG format to another folder. I have tried several times but it will only export 17 files (although all 20 are copied to the destination folder).  Each time it is the same 3 files that do not appear in LRc.

I am using the latest version of LRc on an iMac running latest O/S.

Any help appricated!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happened when you tried to export only this three pictures?

Do you get an error message? If yes please post the message word-by-word.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I deleted the 3 files from the destination folder and the original folder then deleted the images in LRc.  I then imported the 3 files from the Camera again, re-edited exported just the 3 files back into the destination folder (converting from RAW to JPEG.  Again all 3 files were exported and I could see them in the folder using finder.  After synchronising, one of the images appeared in the Lightroom folder (so 18/20), but the remaining two were 'no shows'.  🙈. There are no error messages.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... Again all 3 files were exported and I could see them in the folder using finder.

By @grjlynch

As far as I see the export has been working. 

... After synchronising, one of the images appeared in the Lightroom folder (so 18/20), but the remaining two were 'no shows'.  🙈. There are no error messages.  

By @grjlynch

Synchronization with what or where?

What do you mean with Lightroom folder (18/20)?

I don't understand exactly this points. Please describe more detailed what you are doing. 

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I thought I had described the problem, but I'll have another go!

My workflow is that I import the RAW images from my camera into an 'editing' folder on lightroom.  Here I tag the files and edit as required.  When I have finished I export all the finished images in JPEG format into another folder in Lightroom where all my edited pictures are located.  (The pictures don't always appear in the new destination folder until I 'synchronise' it so when this process is complete is completed all the edited pictures I have exported from the 'editing' folder should appear).

To finish the workflow, once this is done, I circle back delete the editing folder I had created and the camera.

The problem is that of the 20 pictures I exprted from the 'editing' folder into the new destination folder in the lightroom library, not all the pictures were visable after syncronising the folder.  Lightroom repored all 20 were exported and in finder view on my Mac, all 20 pictures were in the folder.  I have since deleted the missing files from the 'editing' folder and in the destination folder where the edited images are located and repeated the whole process.  But the missing files will not still not appear in the final destination folder. 

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some thoughts:

Among the reasons why images may appear in Finder but not within the Catalog, is that your view onto that folder is filtered or stacked in some way so as to conceal the presence of these.

Lightroom Classic may auto-stack images, e.g. those originally shot in a "burst". Images may not be immediately evident for this reason, if these stacks are in the collapsed state.

If there happened to be corresponding same-named Raw files within the same folder where these JPGs are made, those JPGs may not then show up when re-imported - having in effect been treated as sidecar files (IOW, the silent partner "+JPG" of a "Raw+JPG" pair).

It seems Export has not in this case failed to export all the files (that has been a known problem).

I note that you mention an 'editing' folder - completely up to you of course, but any workflow where image files must move from one folder to another, is often considered to be at odds with the most efficient use of a Catalog system, and of ongoing file backup, etc. Rather, many LrC users would recommend a metadata-based way to express the stages of workflow that a given image version is passing through. This removes at a stroke a lot of issues around keeping the Catalog up to date with what is happening on disk. IMO the ideal is for source files to be treated in a handle-once way, and remain completely unchanging after their initial import.

Also, as a completely unsolicited and ignorable comment: Export is not necessary in order for your edited image to appear within the Catalog - since you already have got that. Export is only necessary for a version of your edited image to be accessible for some purpose, coming from outside of the LrC Catalog. Having this export also appearing within the Catalog, can by definition contribute nothing towards that external usage. And IMO is an actively undesirable outcome so far as the Catalog is involved. For myself, I regard exports as intrinsically unsuitable to have re-imported.

Sync Folder has its place but it is not any sort of self-evident principle, that Lightroom Classic "should" seek to mirror all  the contents of your file system. Image Libraries work best when selective and intentional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.  Here are my replys.

"Among the reasons why images may appear in Finder but not within the Catalog, is that your view onto that folder is filtered or stacked in some way so as to conceal the presence of these". [I  don't appear to have any filters on and the images are not stacked]

"If there happened to be corresponding same-named Raw files within the same folder where these JPGs are made, those JPGs may not then show up when re-imported - having in effect been treated as sidecar files (IOW, the silent partner "+JPG" of a "Raw+JPG" pair)". [I import files in RAW format into my editing folder from my camera and I don't have corresponding same named JPEG in the same folder].  

"I note that you mention an 'editing' folder - completely up to you of course, but any workflow where image files must move from one folder to another, is often considered to be at odds with the most efficient use of a Catalog system, and of ongoing file backup, etc. Rather, many LrC users would recommend a metadata-based way to express the stages of workflow that a given image version is passing through. This removes at a stroke a lot of issues around keeping the Catalog up to date with what is happening on disk. IMO the ideal is for source files to be treated in a handle-once way, and remain completely unchanging after their initial import." [I am not sure I quite understand what you are saying here to be honest!  I have always thought that you had to move or copy images (via the import function) from your camera into your catalog to be able to tag/edit them.  This is what I hhave been doing for the last 15 years or so.  Once I have finished applying things like key words etc and editing, I thought it best to export the image (permanently saving all the metadata and edits) as a JPEG so that I can view from outside Lightroom and share with family and friends.  On import, I do save a copy of the original file to an external disk in RAW format so I delete the 'editing folder' so I don't have multiple copies of the same image and free up space on my hard disk (which is also saved in OneDrive).  As you say this does mean that I import images into the Catalog from my Camera (not sure there is another way) and then I do export so I can share and view the finised images (outside LRc).   All of my Catalog is in OneDrive so if I want to share a image that I have finished I can just sent them a read only link.  This has served me very well as I have one place for all my data, not just images. 

So, thanks for your advice on workflow, i know that there are lots of different views on the best way.  This workflow has always worked for me - until now.  From all that you have said I cannot see why after exporting the images are phusically in the right place on my hard disk and Onedrive but won't appear in the catalog. 

But again thanks for all your advice - maybe I should book myself on a Lightroom Classic course!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just offering my own thoughts on workflow, no intent to be at all prescriptive. I do think OneDrive may be a consideration: whether new files may be "busy" with being synced one way or the other, and perhaps that affects what happens towards re-importing to the Catalog. Personally, I do make my exports into a local folder that is synced to OneDrive but I do not see any value in then re-importing these to the Catalog also. Not as part of the export and not subsequently. So I would be curious what your reason for doing so is? Genuine question - always ready to learn!

And my working source files (Raw etc, with sidecar files): I do find it most robust to keep these and the exports quite apart, so with no involvement of OneDrive for any LrC 'managed' files - and the same for the Catalog itself, and its accompanying support folders. This separation allows completely different backup strategies to reflect the different functions of these two (as I see it, quite distinct) classes of stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Richard

Please don't apologise, I found your coments very useful.  

You are right about OneDrive not always in sync as this has caused problems in the past, but I don't think it is the problem here.  I can't remember why I didn't just export to (say) the Pictures folders in OneDrive

(which is outside the LRc Catalog) instead of exporting to a folder inside the catalog (which in my workflow is syncronised in OneDrive too as my whole Catalog is a sub folder within OneDrive)!   I guess this way I can look at all of my pictures (edited and unedited) within LRc OR via a folder on OneDrive - altough I agree there is not much value to doing this.  On reflection I would say therefore that the only reason I do it this way is its the way I have  always done it and no other reason!  If I can think of an advantage to moving my finished/edited content out of the LRc and just keeping the files to be edited in there it should be reasonably easy to move them out.  I would probabaly still delete them after I have finished editing however as it would double the amont of space I would need on OneDrive - and I am already at 2TB! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

画像は全てRAWファイルですか?

ファイルの拡張子を再度確認してください。

動画ファイルだったり、同じ名前のRAW+JPEGだったりしませんか?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines