• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem moving photos from one catalog to another

Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac, I'm trying to move folders of photos from one catalog to another. I *think* I'm following the instructions correctly. But every time I get *additional subfolders* above the actual folder containing the photos. 

For what it's worth, I tried the same procedure on my PC, and it worked fine -- just the folder containing the photos come over, not its parent folder(s). 

Any suggestions? 

Orson

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Moving folders from one catalog to another" is not something you should try to do. If you need to add folders from one catalog to another, do it with the File -> Export command to the selected folders. Then "Import" that catalog the Export created into the catalog where you want it.

Perhaps that's the process you meant by "move folders". The key is to select only the folder or subfolders to Export that you want to be in the other catalog

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My suggestion:

Have everything in one catalog, and then your problem here of moving folders goes away (and there are dozens of other benefits as well)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a series of articles about Lightroom Classic Catalogs starting with the one 

available at the link below, seven in all. They will provide all the info you will need.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/what-is-a-lightroom-catalog/

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the responses so far, but I'm still looking for an explanation of how to move photos from one catalog to another and -- to be more clear than I might have been earlier -- only bring in the FOLDER containing the photos rather than that folder plus its parent folders as well.

This worked in Windows 10 just fine; but on my Mac, I keep getting parent folders as well as the specific folder I want to move. 

Orson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

File->Import from catalog...

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@orsonk42396462  Please re-read my post about "Exporting" just the subfolder as a catalog, then, "Import" that catalog into the catalog where you want it. 

1. Select the sub-folder in Catalog A

2. In the menu, File -> Export as a catalog, export just that sub-folder. This creates a new "Catalog" name it something easy to remember.

3. In Catalog B, File -> Import Catalog, import the catalog that was created in the Export function you accomplished in Catalog A

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines