• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem saving metadata to source file

Participant ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have LR 11.4.1, On a windows 10 PC I am new to LR, it my primary need is to face tag my massive photo collection, several thousand, in many many folders. I have successfully managed to face tag and folder of sample images as a practice. But when I do select all, Metadata, save to file. Although the LR 'bar' moves along, intimating it's doing something, the file TAG fields do not contain any peoples names. I have tried the export option, but this groups all the image files together, with no regard for the original folder hirechy. But the metadata is change using this method so as LR has proved it can do this with the export function, why would it not be able to do it with Metadata save to file function ???

as a last resort I have installed. a plugin, which is designed to replicate the folder hierarchy on an export, but can't work out how to use it yet.

hopefully there is a way to do what I need without this plugin

thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"such a pity adobe didn't have the metadata to file as in export...."

As mentioned before, the Metadata > Save Metadata To File command does write the same metadata fields as Export.  Something particular to your configuration is causing some sort of misbehavior, e.g. in how those fields are being viewed.

If you want to identify the cause of this, please do as I previously suggested: Select a problem photo and do Metadata > Save Metadata To File, and then export that photo. Attach the problem photo and the exported version in your reply here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Son suggegested it might be to do with my USB socket, or USB pen, I was using this, to avoid the risk to the files on my HDD, turns out he was correct, must have faulty usb sockets, guess they don't last forever, have noticed issues with portable HDDs recently, so makes sense. So everything is good now, thanks everyone for all the help, been quite a journey. Maybe as Lightroom doesn't verify metadata writing, it would be a good idea for others not to use usb drives or pens, may not be obvious if the MD is not written, especially if it's intermittent....thanks again

P.S. I accidentally deleted the smart folder for showing unnamed photos, could some one tell me ho to recreate it, I've backed up the others now just in case....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All sorted now, thanks everyone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So

Catalog preferences you have "Automatically write metadata to xmp " Will actually write metadata to the file as I make changes, is that correct ? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, but since it is not a primary function it can get delayed if you are busy performing other functions. If you exit the application and writing to xmp is incomplete it may not get completed until you reboot LrC. It is a secondary function.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines