• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with Auto Tone Control in Lightroom Classic 11.0 with Canon R5 files in CRAW format

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was last using LR fairly extensively several years ago with Nikon NEF RAW files files, I often made use of the Auto button in the Library or Develop setting to get a quick rough optimization from my RAW files, and then I would adjust and fine-tune further in Develop as needed. This approach had its limitations and was by no means perfect, but it was also useful if applied properly in the work flow. 

I'm now back to LRC with my new Canon R5 storing to lossless compression CRAW file format, and using the most recent version of LRC (just updated to LRC 11.0 and Camera Raw 14.0). Not sure what the factors are, but my results with the Auto Tone selection on CRAW files in both the Library and Develop modules are very erratic/inconsistent particularly with respect to exposure, and produce image adjustments blown out or otherwise way out of kilter, so useless.

This was the situation in weeks prior to the recent updates, and also after the updates, so the recent updates are not a factor. I know Adobe now includes camera specific color profiles for the Canon R series camera as of this most recent update, and use them - my issue is not related to color profiles.

Perhaps LRC has an issue with the CRAW vs RAW format, or some other factor within LRC. Google search hasn't brought any relevant info to light. I'm going to do some experiments with various file formats (Nikon NEF RAW, Canon CR3 RAW, Canon CR3 CRAW) to try and better understand what's going on.

Anyone with any info or advice. on this apparent puzzle? Thanks for any tips or guidance ......
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I am not using the Dual Pixel option in the Canon R5 camera.

I have not come across any really useful functional detailed description of just how the Auto feature works or what it does. Several years and versions ago it also seemed to work one one way when applied to single photo, and another way when applied to a group of photos, and whether or not you applied it from the Library or Develop module. Of course it has changed in varous unknown ways in the meantime. Other than some vague references to it using results from AI on a large number of photos, it seems to be pretty much a black box.

I've now posted this topic in several different LRC user forums, with little tangible results so far. I am now doing some experiments with various file formats to see what I can learn, and whether or not I try and make use of this feature going forward, or not.

I am happy with the continued improvements in LRC functionality, most recently with the masking features, and the addition of Canon R series color profiles, in 11.0.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In Develop module, Auto tone does not, or did not work for multiple photo selections, in that module it will Auto tone the active photo, and apply that to the others

In Library module, Auto tone will apply separate adjustments to multiple photo selections.

Auto tone overall used to be terrible, it has been improved upon through time. Oh, occasonally it goes weird, but not often

Problem with Auto tone in Develop module is it automatically mods all

those sliders, do you really like the contrast mod? Saturation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines