Problem with Lightroom Classic After Upgrade to Mac Monterey OS

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LRC Release 10.4
Mac Mini (2018) 6-Core Intel i5

Monterey OS 12.0.1

I converted to Mac Monterey OS last night.  After reload and restart photos in Lightroom Classic looked OK.  I opened Lightroom Classic this afternoon and it did not find my library.  OK.  I went to the backup and started it with the most recent catalog.  My library directory came back but it doesn't show any photos.  They are all in the correct place on the attached USB drive.  But LRC doesn't display them.  When I perform a Find Missing Photos it doesn't do anything.  

I'm not sure what to do next.  

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

I upgraded to Monterey on my MBP i7. Lightroom Classic still worked well. I then set up my new MBP M1Pro 14" (awesome) and used migration assistant to bring across my user account. I thought Lightroom Classic was fine when I opened it up and browsed Smart Previews at lightning (expected) speed. But when I tried to open a Smart Preview in Develop I get "the file could not be found". Pesky. Reconnecting the SSD I store my originals on makes editing in Develop possible. Perhaps I need to recreate m

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

OK, I removed my Smart Previews and then asked Lightroom Classic to rebuild them. It made my MBP M1Pro warm and made the fans run. I enabled/forced GPU use with the 'custom' preference. This made NO APPARENT DIFFERENCE. I'd had R running in the background beforehand and this was using more GPU than Lightroom Classic according to Activity Monitor. Nonetheless, after about 10 minutes the Lightroom Classic progress bar reports that I'm about 1/3 through recreating the Smart Previews for an 83,000 p

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. I updated my Apple laptop to Monterey and updated Lightroom Classic and none of my photos will open up. Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty_Green_Parrot's approach worked for me.  It took a long, long time to rebuild the Smart Previews.  I was initially fooled as I didn't notice any change.  But this evening I see my library is almost back to normal.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a solution to this? I have an upload due tomorrow and cannot impost any photos that are located on my Mac! No issues prior to Monterey update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to Monterey on my MBP i7. Lightroom Classic still worked well. I then set up my new MBP M1Pro 14" (awesome) and used migration assistant to bring across my user account. I thought Lightroom Classic was fine when I opened it up and browsed Smart Previews at lightning (expected) speed. But when I tried to open a Smart Preview in Develop I get "the file could not be found". Pesky. Reconnecting the SSD I store my originals on makes editing in Develop possible. Perhaps I need to recreate my Smart Previews? Just checking on this now, I see that the Library module describes my file as 'Orginal'. OK, to Smart Preview creation for my ~1TB photo library...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I removed my Smart Previews and then asked Lightroom Classic to rebuild them. It made my MBP M1Pro warm and made the fans run. I enabled/forced GPU use with the 'custom' preference. This made NO APPARENT DIFFERENCE. I'd had R running in the background beforehand and this was using more GPU than Lightroom Classic according to Activity Monitor. Nonetheless, after about 10 minutes the Lightroom Classic progress bar reports that I'm about 1/3 through recreating the Smart Previews for an 83,000 photo, 1.3TB catalog. This is probably OK.

Still, I wish that Aperture was still a thing. Aside from its abysmal handling of NAS-based originals it was a delight to use. Lightroom is powerful, but the interface could be improved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty_Green_Parrot,
     Single or double yellow head?  I digress.

My library is much smaller than yours and the process didn't take that long.  It didn't work either.  I've enclosed another pair of screen shots.  If I try to develop one, LRC says it could not find the file.  If I ask LRC to show it in finder, it goes right to the image.  Part of LRC seems to know where the files are and part of it does not.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty_Green_Parrot,

It is working.  It took a long, long time.  The task has been running for hours and I have only 5,000 photos.  I do see them coming back.  

Thanks a Bunch,
Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can an Apple moderator please do something besides move comments from one area to another? I have this same issue and have yet to see Apple provide a useful answer.

Lightroom does not find files in the Develop module after upgrading Mac OS to Monterey

Apple, please respond asap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is Adobe, not Apple 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

right, and that helps in no way. thanks. Perhaps if you had  provided information from the Adobe side as to a resolution for this issue,  your response would more helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is an Adobe Community Forum. We are other users of Lightroom Apps (just like you) volunteering our time to help others. We do not work for Adobe.

Now your problem "same issue" could be-

1) A Graphic Card problem. Have you tried turning the Graphic acceleration 'off' in Preferences?

2) A corrupt Catalog file. Any error messages?

3) A corrupt Previews cache file. Have you tried moving the Previews.lrdata file elsewhere to force LrC to build a new Preview cache?

4) 'Missing' files or folders. Are there [!] badges on preview borders? Are there [?] marks on Folders?

If you provide more information, others may be able to suggest some advice.

If it is an OS system problem then maybe best to contact Apple.

Please include the following in your question: Preferably in a NEW post.
Adobe product and Version number.
A Screenshot of the info panel from MENU: Help/System Info...
Operating system and Version number
The full text of any Error Message(s)
What you were doing when the problem occurred.
Screenshots of the problem.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone help with this issue after uploading Monterey. In LR Classic white info banner over the top of the image - completely unworkable was not there previously. Thanks for your help in advance  

Screenshot 2022-02-26 at 09.17.52.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you've solved this - I'm using Monterey, LR Classic also. Check your "Library View Options"

In the "Loupe View" I'm betting you have "Show Info Overlay" checked.

Uncheck it, should solve it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I solved it by removing smart previews and rebuilding them as suggested by Pretty_Green_Parrot.  

I checked the switches you mentioned.  Show Info Overlay is NOT checked, but I'll keep it in mind as something else to try.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Matthew23342883o0n0   This white 'banner' is one of the incompatibilities of Lightroom v6 (aka cc2015) with a new Mac OS (Monterey?)

It is the image 'Information' that is toggled (through 3 states) by keyboard [i] or Menu: View > Loupe > Show Info Overlay..  and modified by [Ctrl+j]

It will not be a problem with Lightroom-Classic v11.2

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines