• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems selecting images in grid view and people view

Advocate ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently I have been having occasional problems when selecting an image in library grid view or library people view. When this occurs, selecting a single image also selects other images around it. In People view it may select a range of other images. The only answer to this that I have found is the old faithful 'delete prefs file'. I've examined the faulty prefs files but can't see what entry might be causing this. And I haven't been able to spot what causes this to happen.

I'm using the latest LR Classic 12.1 with the latest Win10.

Having now had to do this a few times, I have saved a Prefs file which I can use when this happens again, to save me having to setup all my prefs over again. It struck me that it might be a good idea for LR to save the prefs file with a LR catalog backup. The file is small so it wouldnt delay a catalog backup, and since 'delete prefs file' is such a common response to problems by your experts, it might save a lot of aggro re-entering prefs.

Anyone else seen this problem? I've been using LR since it was invented, but this is the first time this problem has occurred with any LR version.

Bob Frost

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the prefs were split out a long time ago. Specicially the startup preferences were created so that Lightroom would know which catalog to open rather than the user panicing as Lightroom opens a new catalog. 

Looking at the preferences file won't always reveal the issue. You should always make a copy of the file before deleting just in case it wasn't the issue. Simply replace the newly created one with the copy (rename the copy to match). 

If there was some way that Lightroom could auto repair preferences, that would be great. Or some way to find what creates the glitches. 

Another point is that people only really come here when they have a problem, so while resetting the preferences is a common solution, it's only for those coming here, and millions of other users are quite happy without needing to do it. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Another point is that people only really come here when they have a problem, so while resetting the preferences is a common solution, it's only for those coming here, and millions of other users are quite happy without needing to do it. "

A point that needed reenforcing!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most LR users do not know that this list exists. I used to be our local computer 'expert' at our camera club, and having read this and other lists for many years, deleting the prefs file was often used to solve LR problems. I have a selection of my prefs files with 'old', 'bad', 'good', 'new' attached to the filename, and I can always get an older prefs file from my system backups with Macrium backup. But I thought saving the Prefs file in LR backup might make life a bit easier.

If the error in the Prefs file is not visible, why does starting with a new prefs file solve the error? Are you saying that some errors in the Prefs file are not listed in it, are hidden?

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Bob, just that while a lot of the preference file is plain text, it's not all plain text. So it isn't always obvious by looking where the error might be. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if some of the details in the Prefs file are 'hidden' to view with a text utility like Notepad, what do we need to see all the details? Just curious!

Bob F

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it's complied Lua in parts, but a decompiler probably wouldn't translate between the text parts and the coded parts. Now I could be completely wrong here. I've compiled a few plugins that I've made and it looks similar, hence that belief. I haven't used a decompiler, but they are out there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To be clear, it's not being hidden per se, it's just more useful to Lightroom in that form. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines