• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

processes hang: import (with preview generation) + file/folder moving

Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the last few weeks / current LR Classic versions, I experience a new issue, when doing 2 operations simultaniously.

Steps to reproduce:

0a. Have multiple image root locations (multiple drives/main folders/...) + Have images in them.

1. Move a (sub-)folder / images from location A to location B (in LR, lefts sightbar, folder pane)

2. Start an import from somewhere else* to a new folder in location A + activate creation of default previews

3. wait a little

* I usually import from another device/PC connected via LAN. But I think this is not relevant to trigger this issue.

My current LR version: 11.2 Build 202201281441-a5b5f472

My OS: Windows 10.0.18363

At first, all looks fine, but after few moments, all 3 operations (moving, import, preview creation) just hang and I have to manually abort them and restart them (for the rest of the images).

I usually do this for 2 reasons: I have not much free disk space left (new disk is ordered) AND I work with a super fast SSD for current projects + large HDDs for older projects / archive.

robert36972564_0-1647701523440.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I wrote above was true for an earlier LR Classic version, too.

But I just realized a new aspect of this issue that I did not experienced before: Right now, I actually had to close the whole application to restart the operations, as the Import button stayed disabled/grayed out even after aborting the last Import.

I'm really frustrated. LR was such a nice application, not perfect but everything worked fine up until 2 yrs ago. Now every now and then updates include new errors and it takes forever to fix errors. But I can't go back because of incompatible catalouges and not going forward with the versions also don't work as every version has at least one UX destroying bug (not necessarily a new one, often an old one present also in the previous version, but in the last months I never had a LR version without any bug at all).

And the only improvments of the last years are minor performance and raw-engine improvements and adding compatibility to new cameras, while the Library module and the filtering is on a just mediocre level for years now. 

It's a good thing for Adobe that they switched to a rental-system early enough. Wouldn't pay for this crappy "updates" otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just realized, that the acutal file moving and renaming continues (quite slowly) and gets completed based on what I see in the Windows Explorer, even though Lightroom doesn't indicate any progress. But even after all files are moved, Lightroom import doesn't go on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and another thing: This also happens for Imports without file copying/moving. It starts, Lightroom loads a few photos, generates their previews aaand ... everything comes to a halt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last week one import was successful at the first try: An import (with file moving & renaming as usual) from notebook hard drive via LAN to pc hdd. The only thing that was different to all the troublesome imports was the file destination. Usually I import/move the files to a ssd of my pc (and later move them to the hdd), this time by accident I imported them to an hdd.

SMART values of the SSD are fine. No other known problems.

Is the SSD too fast for Lightroom? 🤨 Ridiculous thought, but who knows...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the meantime:

Nope - not an SSD issue. Experienced this issue also with import from Network location via LAN to internal HDD.

And today I also experienced this bug during a direct import from a local SD card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For the direct import from SD card I just found a "TempParent" folder within the target folder with over 100 temp subfolders. Never saw this before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines