Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Proper way to move Lightroom library

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

Very soon I will be getting a new computer.

I currently have my Lightroom library on an external HDD

That is currenlty connected to my macbook pro via usb.

Previously, the Lightroom library ext HDD was connected to my iMac.

When moved from the iMac to the MBP - i lost all the ratings and color labels.

When i move to this new machine, i want to be able to keep the ratings and colors.

I don't want to physically copy the image files to the new machine - i want to keep using the ext HDD.

Thanks

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the catalog is on the hard drive with the images, and pointing at the images, there's no reason anything should get lost. If you've custom labels, this is stored as part of preferences, which are machine specific. If you use Migration assistant, this should bring these over though. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently the ext HDD only has the images 

The catalog is on the MBP - should/can i move that to the ext HDD?

Also, do you mean the migration assistant within macOS? 

I wasn't planning on using that - was going to try to start this new machine from scratch 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can literally copy the entire Lightroom Catalog folder over to the hard drive (with Lightroom Classic closed). Double click on the catalog on the drive, once copied, to open it. It should see the images immediately as they're still in the expected location. 

The catalog folder will contain files like Lightroom.lrcat, Lightroom Previews.lrdata, Lightroom.lrcat-data. Make sure it's all copied. The previews files can get pretty big. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Do I need to delete the catalog file on the mbp once I copy it over? Or is ok to have two copies of the file ( on on mbp, one on the ext HDD)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I do not suggest having copies on different location of the same catalog. 

The "day of confusion" will come ....

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I wouldn't delete the original one until I knew the copy is working though. As to backups, you change backup frequency to 'When Lightroom Next Exits' when the copy catalog is running. This will create a zipped backup of the current catalog. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second that. This is what I suggest in all classes. Set the backup to "Everytime LrC exits". This way the option to save your work is automatically shown after the work done. The dialog has the option to still quit without backup if you did not do any work and were just "looking" 😉

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot .... You definitely should/must have backups of the catalog though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines