• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question about moving LRClassic from PC to Mac; eternal hard drive compatibility question also

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm transfering LRClassic from my old PC to my new Macbook Air.  How do I go about moving it once I have installed LRClassic on Mac?  Also, the external hard drive I have been using with my PC has all my photos on it.  How do I transfer them to another external hard drive that is compatible with Mac?  

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instructions: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

Follow the instructions exactly as they are written. Do not add in your own steps. Do not skip steps. Follow the instructions exactly as they are written. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  This has been very helpful.  Although, in this ebook, it still doesn't explain exactly how to get the photos off the old external harddrive (compatible with pc only) and onto a new harddrive that is compatible with Mac.  She also says to backup EVERYTHING related to LRC, but she doesn't say HOW to back it up or WHERE to back it up, expecially for cross-platform move.  Any other info you might have would be appreciated.  Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have a question (see reply above this reply).  Thanks.  I'm really needing to get this done but can't seem to find anyone to answer this question.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  This has been very helpful.  Although, in this ebook, it still doesn't explain exactly how to get the photos off the old external harddrive (compatible with pc only) and onto a new harddrive that is compatible with Mac.  She also says to backup EVERYTHING related to LRC, but she doesn't say HOW to back it up or WHERE to back it up, expecially for cross-platform move.  Any other info you might have would be appreciated.  Thanks so much.

By @Sonesta

You use your operating system to COPY the photos to a new hard drive. You make backups by copying everything (photos, catalog file, presets) to yet another drive — but you should have been making regular and automated backups before this point in time, so you can use those backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the ebook instructions, backing up all the files mentioned.  She instructs to transfer all the backed up files into their proper locations on the new computer before installing LRC.  That isn't possible since there is no location yet for these files.  I'm sorry to sound so dense with all of this, but I've used LR for almost 20 years, but it was so different before they went to the cloud system.  I have transfered from one pc to another before several times, but it wasn't this involved at all.  Thank you for any input you can give.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cloud is irrelevant to this discussion.

Whatever you did previously PC to PC, you do now the same, PC to Mac. Make a location for the photos on the new computer, put the photos there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The last time I changed location from pc to pc was 10 years ago.  I can't remember exactly how I did it, which is part of my problem here.  But I know it wasn't so difficult.  And, yes, it is very different with the current way LR functions vs the way it was done back then.  Many things were so much simpler.  

Right now, after following the ebook instructions, I'm literally having to, manually, go into settings files on the new computer and make sure I put my existing settings into them.  I never did that before.  It was all pretty straightforward and everything switched over pretty automatically the last time I did this.  This is taking SO much time and mental thought, making sure I get things into the proper files on the computer.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines