• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Built-in Lens profile applied" to Fujifilm RAW but it doesn't appear to be corrected

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the Lightroom Classic v12 (macOS). I use a Fujifilm X-T4 with various lenses. I have noticed that for some lenses, the resulting JPG and RAW pairs do no match in terms of distortion. Even if the Lens Correction palette says, "Built-in Lens Profile applied", my RAW will not appear corrected when I toggle back and forth between the matching JPG — the difference is obvious.

I would expect the on-camera JPG to match the RAW in terms of distortion/crop. So far I've noticed this issue with the Fujinon XF16mmF2.8 and XF35mmF2. But other lenses (XF6mmF1.4, XF33mmF1.4, and XF50mmF2) do have matching JPG/RAW files.

This could certainly be a Fujifilm Profile issue. But Lightroom confirms that a Profile has been applied. See my screenshot of the LrC popup window. I'm trying to determine if there's an issue where Lightroom is not acutally applying it, or if it's an issue with my camera, when these lenses are attached. Clearly LR thinks it's working.

I've attached JPGs of a JPG/RAW pair to show how obvious the change is, and an animated gif of the two. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this issue with Fujifilm or another camera maker. Thank you.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be hard to see on an iPad, and might be hard to see on the web, but are you sure that your are referring to chromatic aberration and/or linear distortion? Or differences in contrast, tonality, and sharpness?

https://exposuretherapy.ca/photography-guide/lens-aberrations-and-distortion/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I am not referring to ANY changes in color, tone, contrast, etc. Fujifilm is known for how much on-camera processing occurs, specially with their film simulations.

I believe I am specifically seeing uncorrected barrel distortion. Are you able to see the animated gif that I attached? It switched between the processed JPG (rich in color) and the flat RAW, which appears to bulge in the center (all the way out to the edges). In other Fujinon lenses, there is no visible shift like this — the camera jpg and embedded profile in the raw appear to be identical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not experiencing what you are stating with the images you have shared. If you wish you can share the original raw image via Dropbox or the like and other users can check on their systems.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for looking. I'm learning this is highly subjective. I know it's subtle. Can you see any difference in the animated gif? I made a new one with a brick wall. They are attached, along with a Dropbox link.

To my eyes the on-camear JPG has been corrected, while the RAW appears to barrel in the center and the corners—despite LrC stating that the built-in profile has been applied.

It is possible that Fujifim's on-camera correction differs from the profile it embeds. But I have noticed that on other Fujifilm lenses, the jpg/raw pairs match in this regard.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/pnkgd7ocqc19bskzuhwx8/h?dl=0&rlkey=37bsy8npryvlk0voy9aggcla8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Ok I have downloaded the two RAW images and four jpeg images you sent. One Observation is that the jpegs are cropped i.e. not the same pixel dimensions.

Imported the images into LrC 12.0.1, I applied a small amount of basic tone editing to brighten one of the raw images. I attach a comparison of each raw file with the two matching jpegs.

I cannot perceive any physical difference except for tone and color. The built-in lens profile has been applied.

Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 1.19.18 PM.pngScreenshot 2022-10-31 at 1.18.13 PM.pngScreenshot 2022-10-31 at 1.17.06 PM.pngScreenshot 2022-10-31 at 1.14.37 PM.png  

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Denis. Kind of you to download the files and inspect them.

Do you not see any change in the animated gif? That represents what I see in Lightroom, when I move through my library. There JPGs and RAWs bounce, if you will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I see a very small difference but it is far smaller than what I would expect or no distortion correction being applied. It is most visible in the corners. It is more a very subtle difference in how the correction is done mathematically. One thing to try is to hack the raw files to remove the correction profile and see how different it looks then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you happen to have a backdrop, a piece of paper, with a grid on it to photograph, on a tripod, with sensor absolutely parallel with backdrop. Point is to take a shot and look at the barrel distortion. A simpler, cleaner image to show it.

https://photographylife.com/what-is-distortion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'll try to figure out a better backdrop for your assessment. Can you at least confirm what you see in the animated gif? The difference seems clear to me, but it sounds like some people see no movement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see too much tonality changes, perhaps curve changes, etc, too see thru to any distortion, such as the twig bending, or the edge of the rock Altering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, sorry — I posted new brick wall images in reply to DdeGannes. I should've done these originally. But there's a new animated gif here, along with labeled images and raws. https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/pnkgd7ocqc19bskzuhwx8/h?dl=0&rlkey=37bsy8npryvlk0voy9aggcla8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines