• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Edit in Photoshop" (only RAW files)

Explorer ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating (12.3), I can no longer pass RAW files from Lightroom Classic to Photoshop. For any ARW or NEF file I right-click on and try "Edit in Photoshop," the app will open but no file will pass/open. If I do this with a JPG, PNG, or even layered TIFF the fill will pass/open in Photoshop.

I have already tried the uninstall and reinstall and have already tried the workaround by using the custom spot to try and it still will not work.

If I DRAG the raw file from Lightroom Classic onto Photoshop, it does open the file in Camera RAW, but that is not sufficient. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Or should I just downgrade to a lower version? I need this feature. Every image I edit, goes in both apps. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Until you get an answer that works, you do not need a "middle-ware" app. As a work-around use the Export dialog (File-type = TIF), and set the [Post Processing] option to Open in "Photoshop".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @beansfotos ,

Thanks for reaching out. We are here to help.

Please confirm the catalog location by going to Edit > Catalog Settings and where the images are stored. On an internal or external drive? Have you tried working on pictures from the internal drive?

If the catalog is stored on an external drive, please move it to the internal drive or desktop and try launching it from there. Please check here for more help related to Lightroom Classic Catalogs:  

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/catalog-faq-lightroom.html 

Please let us know if this helps.

Best,

Ranjisha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ranijisha,

As mentioned I am able to pass JPG, PNG, TIFF and PSD files that sit along side and in the same catalog as the RAW Sony (ARW) and Nikon (NEF) files. When I try to "Open in Photoshop" on either type of RAW file, it does nothing. When I "Open in Photoshop" on a TIFF or any other file, the file will open in Photoshop as expected. 

The catalog file and the actual files all sit on the same internal SSD internal drive. 

I do appreciate your help, but none of these solutions worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the 'link' between Lightroom Classic and Photoshop has issues, one of the first things to try is this:
1. Use the Adobe Creative Cloud application to uninstall both Photoshop and Lightroom Classic, and when asked, keep preferences. 
2. Install Photoshop first, then Lightroom Classic. The order is what is very important here.
Better? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate the suggestion, but no. I had read/tried that solution from another thread. As mentioned, I tried this also, and the problem still persists. I hope there is some weird hack/trick that is the answer because none of the normal solutions I've found have worked... and this drastically affects my workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First try deleting the Lightroom preferences. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion... I did the "manual" option on that list, and that did not correct the issue either. It still functions the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You wrote that you have done a uninstall/reinstallation. Do you have done a clean reinstallation?

If no, the please try a complete an clean reinstallation.

Please follow the steps below:

if you're unable to install the cc desktop app at this stage, use an administrator account (solution 4 here, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/creative-cloud-missing-damaged.html)

Do you use the SmartPreview feature for your RAW files? If yes, are the original files are availabe during you try to open a RAW in Photoshop?

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem SOLVED: [glad too, cause I was not going to do everything listed above. No time to chase a falling needle through the haystack. That's Adobe's job. It would have just been time to move on from Adobe products and use a different app, not worth ALL that]

Using the CC Desktop Uninstaller (found here: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html)...  this is what I did:

1.  uninstalled EVERY CC app that was installed on my machine (using the KEEP command for each to keep my personal settings/preferences). 
  2.  ran CC uninstaller and only did the "REPAIR" option.
  3.  after it completed the repair, I restarted my machine
  4.  then installed Photoshop 1st (and launched the app after installation - important)
  5.  then installed lightroom classic and launched the app

The passing of all files (RAW, jpg, png, tiff, etc) all work now. 

Any file I click "Edit in Photoshop" will now pass to PS as expected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hahaha, spoke way too soon. After the first time when it worked.... for every time after restarting the apps, the original problem is back. I can no longer pass RAW files again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I really only have one idea. Try to create a new Administrator or user account with Admin rights. and check if it works under this account.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand, but do appreciate you taking a stab at it. I'm trying everything I can, but having to add a middle-ware app for it to send to, then to Photoshop, is the only workaround I can do at the moment. "Edit in custom app" Then from that app, save/send it to Photoshop...  HOPEFULLY (fingers crossed), an update will fix this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until you get an answer that works, you do not need a "middle-ware" app. As a work-around use the Export dialog (File-type = TIF), and set the [Post Processing] option to Open in "Photoshop".

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!! Best tweak ever. That almost is better than the original way. I have never done an export, with an app command at the end. Interesting and very helpful. Much appreciated. This way keeps the Lightroom edits, and skips the dialog boxes, auto-creates and saves the TIF, in the same folder, before you even hit PS. That's way better. 

Exactly why I came to the community. Thank you again! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pleased you liked my suggestion, although not an answer for your problem.

A couple of additional suggestions-

-In the Export- Check mark [Add to this Catalog], (which you apparently have done).

-Create an Export Preset, (or multiple export presets for different options) - that will be just as easy to use by a [Right-Click] > [Export] > Choose Preset.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exporting (and calling PS in the export post-processing) will only then import and show the resulting new image version, back inside the Catalog afterwards, if you've checked that option in the Export settings.

Another option may be to save another external editing preset besides the main Edit in PS setting, in the External Editing tab of preferences. That preset selects a PS executable - maybe you have more than one PS version installed, perhaps Elements, perhaps some other utility - your choice of file type / bit depth / working colorspace, and is named as you wish.

When you select this by name (within "Edit In..." menu or right-click context menu) then instead of passing the image to ACR for Raw conversion and from there into PS as a not-yet-saved new version - the file is immediately rendered and saved by LrClassic. So that part works like Export. Then PS is instructed to Open this already saved file and LrC is also instructed to import that. So any further change in PS assuming that is saved, is instantly seen and displayed within the Catalog. 

This option is also worth knowing about in that it provides an easy way to maintain alternative external editing setups: perhaps you occasionally want to edit in sRGB 8-bit TIFF but more usually in ProPhoto 16-bit PSD - this lets you choose whichever setup on demand. Because this is Edit In, it always happens in the same folder as the source file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the detailed notes. Not sure I completely understand it all. I wasn't having a problem until I switched, in LRc preferences, to edit in Photoshop Beta. That plainly switch something else as it now doesn't work with my current Photoshop 2023, which I believe is tha latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I forgot to mention. When I did manage to edit in Photoshop[ I got an error.

Error 21: undefined is not an object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this. I am so happy this works!  Normally when I open/edit from Lightroom to PS, I make some tweaks en then choose 'save'. PS send the tweakes picture back to Lightroom. From there I then export to my files. With your solution, it doesn't send the picture back to Lightroom. I have to save the picture to my files from PS. Any thoughts on that? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I make some tweaks en then choose 'save'. PS send the tweakes picture back to Lightroom.

OK, so far so good. The new Photoshop TIF/PSD file is back in the catalog AND saved on the hard-drive. That is how it should work, but if you are trialling Photoshop-Beta version then join the group of people having problems.

From there I then export to my files.

Why? The file from Ps already exists. Why make a copy by exporting? (Or are you wanting a JPG exported from the TIF/PSD?)

With your solution, it doesn't send the picture back to Lightroom

If you are referring to the "Export to Photoshop" suggestion, it will send the picture back to Lightroom IF the Export dialog has the option checked for [Add to This Catalog] in the Export Location panel of the dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I would like a JPG exported from the TIF/PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You last suggestion worked, thank you, you are a lifesaver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So while a direct [Edit In] Ps is not working- 1) is the work-around:

1) An [Export] with [Add to this Catalog] and  [Photoshop] as the Post Processing option.

2) Another [Export] preset to export a JPG from the TIF/PSD that returned to the catalog library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are referring to the "Export to Photoshop" suggestion, it will send the picture back to Lightroom IF the Export dialog has the option checked for [Add to This Catalog] in the Export Location panel of the dialog.

This worked for a while, but now PS doesn't send the picture back to LR anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same problem. It has been several months now and several versions of PS . I am now using PS 24.6  , Lightroom classic 12.4 and camera raw 15.4. I still have not found a fix .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines