Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

"Edit Original" option for External Editors in Lightroom Classic

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can someone please explain the logic why for some external editors the 'Edit Original' is available, and for others its greyed out ?

The Nik Collection Perspective EFEX requires the original RAW, but I can't add it as an external editor that has access to the RAW file. I have to send the file over as TIFF, and then it pops up a window to ask me to point out the raw file that it has to check for additional settings.

It would be a lot easier if I could just let it edit the raw directly like some other Apps (Photoshop for example) can.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

TOPICS
How to, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021
Lightroom does not allow third party external editors to open a raw file directly. "Edit Original" is for RGB files (tiff/jpeg) only. Most third party plugin use a different approach, to circumvent this limitation. Instead of sending the image via "Edit in", you go to "File - Plugin Extras". I have no idea if Nik plugins can do that, but PhotoLab 4 does and that is from DxO too...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a design choice from DxO, because other Plugin makers like Skylum or On1 allow you to send Raw files directly to the app from the Plug-In Extras menu. Talk to DxO. The system to do it is there in Lightroom, they're just not using it. 

Sean McCormack. Author. Magazine Writer. Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lightroom does not allow third party external editors to open a raw file directly. "Edit Original" is for RGB files (tiff/jpeg) only. Most third party plugin use a different approach, to circumvent this limitation. Instead of sending the image via "Edit in", you go to "File - Plugin Extras". I have no idea if Nik plugins can do that, but PhotoLab 4 does and that is from DxO too...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines