• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"empty alt-attribut"

Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lately if I want to put a foto on my webside, I can't do it because it has an "empty alt-attribut" they tell me. I don't even know what it is and haven't changed anything in LR consciously. What can I do?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who tells you this? What is the exact word-for-word message? What website?

What software are you using, Lightroom (Lr icon) or Lightroom Classic (LrC icon)? What version NUMBER?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I use LR classic, the newest version and the problem appeared on my wordpress website. I solved it with there help. So it had nothing to do with LR, it seems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An alt-attribute is HTML code that displays a text if the image can't be viewed. This has nothing to do with Lightroom, but with your website. You need to type that in. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt_attribute

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer. You are right 🙂.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be easier, certainly IMO better, to enter suitable text into one of the available metadata fields within the Catalog. And then have Wordpress use that automatically, individually per image. As to what text: for example "photo of a flying goose" will give a much nicer experience to the website visitor, than "picture cannot be displayed" would ever do. Alt text does not only show when an image is undisplayed - or someone has set accessibility options in their browser. It may also show as a tooltip when you hover the mouse pointer over an image.

If there is already a description of the right nature entered, that can perhaps serve directly. Or it may be possible to move suitable text that's already in place, into the needed field (perhaps copied or concatenated by a plugin such as LR/Transporter).

Regardless, it seems that for a metadata field (of certain classes) coming out of LrC, it is possible to have Wordpress then map those from the uploaded file, as its own Alt text for each image.

I found for example this (link below) which may give some practical pointers on how.

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/mapping-iptc-exif-to-alt-text/

It may be that Wordpress already does this by default, in which case it would just be a matter of finding out which metadata field needs to be populated inside the LrC Catalog. Manual entering of Alt text inside Wordpress will also reach the same result but that may then need to be repeated if you later replaced the image after updating its processing, or put that into some different Wordpress site / image gallery.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Richard. That was very helpfull. Actually, after contacting wordpress the problem "disappeared" without any reason (nor them nor I changed anything). So for the future I can use your advices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines