• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Unexpected error opening catalog"

Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's inconsistent, but sometimes I get the "unexpected error" message. I restart my computer and then everything loads just fine. It's just annoying to have to reboot the computer to get Lightroom to load. My photo files are stored on an external drive with over 5TB available, and my computer has 1.76TB available. 

Lightroom Classic 10.2
OS Big Sur 11.3.1

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, maybe you have done this already, but you should be making regular and automated backups of your catalog file, and these should be stored on a different physical disk than the working catalog. When you create the backups, make sure you have the "Test Integrity..." option checked.

It is my opinion that "unexpected error" message can be caused by an intermittently malfunctioning hard disk or intermittently malfunctioning memory chip. Thus, I would definitely run diagnostics on your hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, thankfully I have one off-site backup and two here at home, so I do have a good backup system. Thank you for checking! 

I will check the hard disk. Come to think of it, there was an error message about one of my external hard drives. Silly me didn't check up on that since it went away. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines