• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Use Default Catalog" or "Choose a Different Catalog" for Catalog moved to different drive?

Advisor ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've upgraded my data storage to achieve a permanent solution to my increased drive capacity needs, but I moved my Documents folder to my new drive using Windows Explorer.  This folder contained my Lightroom Catalog, and I realize now I should have moved those files inside Lightroom, as I now get a message that the Catalog can't be found. Lightroom asks "Use Default Catalog" or "Choose a Different Catalog;" what should I do?  Since the file structure has not been changed - the data is simply on a different drive - I am hoping that once the Catalog is identified, all my files can be found by Lightroom.  Is that the case?  My problem is that I am not sure what is meant by "Default Catalog," and I don't want to make the wrong selection.  Thank you.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Use "Choose a different catalog" and navigate to the new folder where the catalog file is located. (or in your operating system double-click on it as stated by @GoldingD )

Once you open this catalog file, the photos and folders will appear to be missing. Re-connect the top level folder using "Find Missing Folder" as shown in Figure 4 here: https://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Windows File Explorer, navigate to the location your catalog is at, use your mouse to double click on the catalog. The lrct files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use "Choose a different catalog" and navigate to the new folder where the catalog file is located. (or in your operating system double-click on it as stated by @GoldingD )

Once you open this catalog file, the photos and folders will appear to be missing. Re-connect the top level folder using "Find Missing Folder" as shown in Figure 4 here: https://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you much.  Additionally, I have not yet moved the RAW files that constitute the contents of my Catalog.  I will need to move them to a new disk - which I believe should be done inside of Lightroom.  At the link https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/lightroom-catalog-basics.html I was not able to find instructions on how to do this - only that it's the practice to follow.  Can you point me to the best place to get instruction on how to move files inside of Lightroom?  Also, is there a workflow I should follow in terms of moving the files or relinking the Catalog as per your isntructions above - or does it matter which comes first?  Thanks for your help.  FURTHER EDIT:  It looks like what I need to do is go ahead and move the RAW files to their new drive using Windows Explorer, then follow the instructions in your first email and reference the steps in the link you provided, in order for LR to find the files in their new location.  Is that right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines