• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RAF converted to DNG not working with Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've converted RAW files to DNG, both RAF files (Fujifilm) and CR2 files (Canon).
But the DNG files converted from RAF won't show as thumbnails in Windows Explorer, nor can they be viewed in the Windows Photos app. The thumbnails are just an Lr logo. The DNG files I converted from CR2 files show as thumbnails and can be viewed in the Photos app without issue.
Is there something wrong with the files I converted from RAF? Corruption of some kind? Did I make a mistake converting them to DNG? I can edit them in Lightroom just like normal.

And something else unexpected also happens with all of my newly-converted DNG files.
When I double-click them, they open in Lightroom and are ready to be entered into the catalog as a new file, creating a duplicate. I'd expect them to open on the existing catalog entry.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the DNG's open for you in an Adobe product, you're fine. The inability to see a thumbnail in Explorer may be a bug there (I've seen similar such issues on the Mac) but otherwise, nothing to worry about.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you downloaded and installed a codec for DNG files? I found that to be necessary to enable me to view DNG files in Windows Explorer on my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are three options for previews when converting to DNG – None, Medium size and Full size.

If you choose None,  the Photos app, which cannot display raw files, will not display the image.

Could that be what happened?

Since you have already imported the DNG files in Lightroom, there should be no need to "open" them.  But you can set them to open with any image viewer that knows how to display DNG previews, and you'll see the embedded jpg preview.

Right click any DNG in the File explorer, choose Open with > [application of your choice] and check Always use this app ...

Note that these previews will not include your Lightroom edits unless you select the DNG(s) in the Lightroom Library, and go to Metadata > Update DNG preview and metadata.

image_2022-03-28_224114.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ohhh... Yeah, that might have been it. Is there any way to create previews in existing files after the fact?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines