• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

random image file corruption

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am finding a very small but growing number of image files in my LRClassic catalog have an odd corruption (see attached screenshots). I understand this may not be a LRClassic issue but have not been able to find any similar descriptions elsewhere on the web, so thought I might start here. Anticipatory thanks...
Dave

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File corruption can be caused by hardware issues, bad memory card, bad card reader, bad cable from reader to the computer and failing hard drives.

Were these images free of the corruption issues when initially imported?

If this is a recent shoot, are the files still on the card? If so, try another card reader and cable.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit more digging...

The corruption IS in the .dng files. So suspect it is a hardware problem, as KR mentions.

I have about 50K images (from 2005 to today) and so far have discovered 27 with this corruption artifact. What concerns me is that I don't know if the problem occurred during import - or worse, if it is an ongoing and developing issue due to a progressive problem with the drives I use - meaning I could expect more files to become corrupted over time. So my new question relates to back-up strategies.

I keep the working folders of images on an external Samsung T7 SSD. I back up to two older Samsung T5 SSDs as well as to a spinning Seagate HD, a spinning drive on a Synology NAS, and finally to Backblaze and Amazon Photos. I've compared these images on all the back-up devices and they ALL contain the corruption.

Therefore, if this IS an ongoing and progressive problem with the primary working SSD drive, seems I am certain to overwrite uncorrupted files on the backups with corrupted files, each time I back up. Is there a better back-up solution? For the local back-ups I've used GoodSync - but of late have been using Carbon Copy Cloner. Thinking I need to learn how to tell CCC "don't overwrite existing files."

Thanks again, all...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic (and ACR) can check validation of DNGs which is a useful feature to look into:

https://jkost.com/blog/2013/08/dng-verification-in-lightroom-5.html

https://www.dpbestflow.org/data-validation/dng-validation#lightroom

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for this. I did learn about DNG validation last week when LR told me all my DJI Mavic images were not vaidated, so did DL the Adobe validation tool... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you delete the previews, and let LrC recreate them, does the problem go away?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate the idea - done a bit more digging and it's not a problem with the previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be useful to zip one or more of these files, upload to something like Dropbox so we can examine if this is indeed in the document or another issue outside of the files themselves.

If you disable GPU in preferences, does anything change?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the ideas - turns out it is an issue with the .dng files - I'll summarize in a reply to KR above... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines