• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Random Photos in LR Mobile iOS with distorted background compared to LR Classic counterpart?

Explorer ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sync a few folders from LR Classic to LR Mobile iOS. Occasionally a photo in mobile will have some odd problem with the background (not the whole photo) being pixelated or washed out but the actual photo in LR Classic does not appear this way. Attached are 2 versions of two separate photos that have this effect. The A versions are exported from LR Classic to the desktop. The B versions were shared from LR Mobile to the Camera Roll and then exported from Photos as Original (to try and remove any effect of downsizing. I understand that the B versions are smaller versions than the A versions, but the way they appear now is how they appear in LR Mobile, whereas most of my photos do not appear this way and do not have this effect. I'm trying to figure out what is happening with these and how to fix it. Thanks for any feedback.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

After removing settings one-by-one it appears the HSL Luminace -30 Yellow and -72 Green are causing the Smart Preview artifacts. If I set them both to 0 and use the Graduated filter dragged off canvas with the Color Range mask set to -1.2 Exposure the Smart Preview looks much better. I have no idea why the HSL Yellow and Green Luminance settings cause this artifacting in synced Smart Previews. The other option is to create resized 2560 Long Edge JPEGs and sync them for the affected image files.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no foreground or background in photos, at least no from a technical point of view. What you see is probably some kind of clipping that probably stronger visible in the background because of the less contrasted colours. It may well be that it is just visible on HDR screens.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would this only show in certain photos? Many other sync'd photos definitely do not show this artifact or phenomena. Only a very limited few do so. The only thing I can think of is that one or two have had adjustments in photoshop (not just LR) and the others have been converted to B&W using Silver Efex Pro. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(...) had adjustments in photoshop (not just LR) and the others have been converted to B&W using Silver Efex Pro. 

By @jmorg65

What is your bit depth? Clipping happens at low bit depth at least when editing over the edge...

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a limitation of the way Classic syncs to the cloud. It only uploads smart previews which are downscaled dng copies using lossy compression. On some images such as what you show here this can cause posterization artifacts that are just due to the compression used in the smart previews. Classic unfortunately and very annoyingly cannot upload full raw images to the cloud but that is the solution to this problem. This can be done through Lightroom Desktop which is the port of the mobile Lightroom app to desktop operating systems. When you open that you will see the cloud synced images in there just like on mobile. Just drag the raw files you need onto it and it will upload them and place them in the cloud alongside the smart previews. This should allow the cloud to create better image previews and export higher quality images.

Add your voice here if you also think Classic should be able to sync full raw images: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-should-be-able-to-s...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems nuts. The more feature-rich app has smaller more limited mobile upload. Ugh. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sync a few folders from LR Classic to LR Mobile iOS. Occasionally a photo in mobile will have some odd problem with the background (not the whole photo) being pixelated or washed out but the actual photo in LR Classic does not appear this way.

By @jmorg65

Look at the photo on the Web at lightroom.adobe.com. Do you see the same artifacts there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I see them on the web at the site you provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Yes I see them on the web at the site you provided."

lightroom.adobe.com is a universal link that takes the user to their uploaded image files in the Lightroom Web app. As Jao mentioned LrC synced collections upload resized DNG Smart Previews that use lossy compression. However, the compression artifacting in the image files you posted is unusually high. This could be due to one or more of the settngs you applied in LrC. To determine that it would be helpful if you could export the flower image to DNG file format with the below settings. Make sure the Develop settings you used that exhibit the issue are still applied as they will be embedded in the DNG export file and allow us to see what's going on.

DNG.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd, I exported as DNG but cannot upload it here as I get the attached message listing compatible file types and dng is not one of them. Other suggestions?Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 11.10.47 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put it on a file sharing site such as dropbox, creative cloud, OneDrive, iCloud or somesuch and post the public sharing link here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Below is the dng file in dropbox. Thanks for any feedback on why the pixelated artifact is showing up:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g7dpbpcieew9a5a/2021-05-18%2021-28-16%20%28A%2CRadius8%2CSmoothing4%29-Edi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded th DNG file and exported it in LrC to Lossy DNG with 2560 long edge, which is the same as Smart Previews synced to the Cloud. I can see the same artifacts. However, the DNG file does not appear to be created using the original CR3 raw file. (see below) The LrC Basic panel Profile only shows Color or Monochrome profiles indicating the DNG file was created using a non raw file (TIFF or JPEG). We really need to see the original CR3 raw file with your settings applied that exhibit the artifacts when synced to the Cloud. Also please use the LrC Export module to create the DNG file from the CR3 file using the settings shown in my reply above from June 1.

History Parameters : converted from image/x-canon-cr3 to image/dng, saved to new location*converted from image/dng to image/tiff*converted from image/tiff to application/vnd.adobe.photoshop*from application/vnd.adobe.photoshop to image/vnd.adobe.photoshop*converted from image/vnd.adobe.photoshop to image/dng, saved to new location

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd, thanks. The file in question is a tif file created using Helicon Focus from a stack of CR3 files. Perhaps that is part of the issue, but I have many such similar images, processed the same way, that do not show similar artifact. Any thoughts on further troubleshooting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After removing settings one-by-one it appears the HSL Luminace -30 Yellow and -72 Green are causing the Smart Preview artifacts. If I set them both to 0 and use the Graduated filter dragged off canvas with the Color Range mask set to -1.2 Exposure the Smart Preview looks much better. I have no idea why the HSL Yellow and Green Luminance settings cause this artifacting in synced Smart Previews. The other option is to create resized 2560 Long Edge JPEGs and sync them for the affected image files.

GRaduated Filter With Color Range Mask.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd, thank! That was easy to correct. I made some different adjustments that I think provided a pleasing result but do not have any artifacts. It didn't dawn on me it would simply be a slider adjustment, but even when I used Lightroom (not the Classic) I could watch the artifact disappear. It seemed the green was really causing the worst of it, but a very helpful tip all around. Now if I see artifacts on LR Mobile I'll open Lightroom desktop which has the same collections sync'd to it and try a few slider manipulations there to see if I can fix it that way. I assume there is some method to the madness, but there is much I do not understand about how Adobe syncs content. Why one cannot just sync a smart collection, for instance, is another baffling matter. But, again, thanks! Great to have that one solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The smart preview compression is based on jpeg algorithms. It is lossy and works by decreasing color information by quite a bit. You will indeed get posterization artifacts very easily when using large color slider adjustments in these smart preview files. You will see the same problem with black and white converted images with strong settings of the color mixer sliders when you sync them to Lightroom Cloud from Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao, I totally agree with the cause of artifacting in Smart Previews. What's interetsing is that the Smart Preview Lossy DNG artifacts do NOT seem to occur if you resize the original file first to 2560 Long Edge and then Export to Lossy DNG or sync it to the Cloud.

Based on this observation it would appear that this issue could be easily fixed by changing the order of how Smart Previews are created to Resize first followed by covert to Lossy DNG. Same for the Export module. Does that make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah that makes sense for sure. It does indicate a suboptimal conversion mechanism used by Adobe whatever the reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked your LrC Develop settings to see if something was over-the-top. You have the Sharpening Amount set to 115, which is causing the Smart Preview artifacting. I changed it to 50 and the image is still very sharp with no artifacts in the Smart Preview. Forgot to check LrC Export module Resize 2569 Long Edge. The artifacts are still there so we really need to see the original CR3 file with your settings exported to DNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines