• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Randomly missing photos

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a recurring issue in Lightrooom Classic. I am using the latest version (10.2), but this has occurred in previous versions, too. I am using an iMac desktop, and my library is stored on an external Seagate drive that's always connected.

I will do a search for missing photos. Anywhere between a dozen to 1200 or so will be listed, out of a catalog of about 144,000. The previews are there, but it says original is missing. So I go back in time machine, find the date range of the missing photos, restore, and the originals are back. This has happened numerous times, and it is usually photos from 2015 and 2020, and often not the same photos from those time periods.

I am no doing anything to the photos; for example, I haven't touched the 2015 photos in a long time.

Any ideas as to why this would be happening?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Apple iCloud Drive enabled with 'Optimize Mac Storage' checked? If so, iCloud Drive might offload some old photos to save local storage space. Lightroom can't deal with that.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, I don't think that would be it because I'm not using Apple iCloud Drive to store photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do use raw compressed or uncompressed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Compressed, but a lot of these photos are also jpeg from a Nikon dslr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might suggest the Seagate Drive is failing! (Does "2015 photos"  indicate it is 6 years old?)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Drive is about five months old. Thought a failing hard drive could be the problem, so bought a new one and transferred library to new hard drive. Same issue has ensued.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines