Copied

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 11.2 Release, Camera Raw 14.2

Build [202201281441-a5b5f472]

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎14/‎11/‎2020
OS build 19044.1466
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

It seems there's a critical flaw with Moving images to a new location in the latest Lightroom Classic version, possibly to do with the new enhancements to the Library module.

My daily workflow involves moving a folder of Fujfilm RAF files off my SSD and onto an external hard-drive by dragging the folder to its new location, after I've finished exporting them to DNGs.

Lately, I've noticed the progress stall a few seconds in and I've had to cancel the action and start again. But this time I let it run while I was away, but I came back and the original folders were still present with 0 images in them and the destination folders had only a handful of moved images.

I thought there was something wrong with the move so I ran Synchronise Folder on the source folder to see if the RAF files were still in there, but they weren't. I also ran Synchronise Folder on the destination folder and they hadn't been moved. I checked File Explorer on both folders and they've gone missing.

Please look into this critical error. It's fortunate that my RAF files are on my 2nd SD card but I'm very hesistant to backup/archive my images if they keep disappearing.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also just checked my Recycle Bin but they also have not been moved there during the Move process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I need to clarify since I've found the images in another folder but it's very unexpected as my workflow hasn't changed in the past few years.

It would be great to have this Moving Folder functionality be looked at, since this has only appeared recently with the latest Library module optimisations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As this is Windows OS, and this involves an external drive, two questions

1. Is that external drive permantly assigned the drive letter. Should be. Hmm, but probably not the issue

2. Is that external drive allowed to go asleep, to power save? That would be bad for LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely not an external drive issue. I've been doing this with many external drives over the years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely not an external drive issue. I've been doing this with many external drives over the years.

By @antzpantz

Sorry, but this doesn't answer the question ... options get turned on "accidentally", hardware starts to malfunction, etc. So this could indeed by an external drive issue, and you need to dig into this more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be an old bug that came back. It used to be really dangerous to move files inside Lightroom for a while but they fixed that several versions ago. It used to be much safer for a while to move the files outside Lightroom and then reconnect the folder to the new location inside Lightroom. Might be that that bug came back or a similar one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds familiar as I've been using Lightroom for many years now, so it's quite worrying that this 'bug' would come back in some form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds familiar as I've been using Lightroom for many years now, so it's quite worrying that this 'bug' would come back in some form.

By @antzpantz

It MIGHT be a bug, it might not. In any event, more diagnostics performed on your end would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See below. It seems to do it for more than one folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I get this escalated or to the attention of the developers? It seems that I can migrate one folder at a time, but 2 or more folders at a time, it seems to lock up the moving process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to reproduce this on my machine and I can't get it to happen. Even tried moving files between disks and I can't detect any images disappearing from my drives. This is a Mac though and the bug could be windows specific or it could be specific to your machine. Might make sense to do a thorough check of your hardware and disks.

My machine:

Classic v 11.2

MBP 15", 2018

2.9 GHz 6 core i9

32 GB memory

MacOS Monterey 12.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image file included with the initial post shows that you are moving a folder that contains zero image files and I am wondering if that is the issue why the move is not being completed as expected?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The folder didn't have 0 images initially...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By that, I mean that Lightroom does not think there are images in the catalog folder but there definitely are images in the hard drive folder. But this was an after screenshot, I was only demonstrating what I was trying to do and doesn't demonstrate what the result is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point is LrC is not a file Browser so you will only see folders that have images which were imported into the Catalog. If the images were removed from the Catalog the folder would be displayed but I am not sure if you could move the folder within LrC?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My experience is that if you move a folder in Lightroom it also moves the files that are not part of the catalog (I.e. non imported images and other files that happen to be in the folder). I don't think I have ever tried to do it with a folder that has zero images in Lightroom though as that is not a situation I ever encounter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to clarify that there *are* images in the folder. This screenshot was just a demonstration of what I was trying to do, please disregard the number as this screenshot was taken some time after the fact and I can not edit my posts.

But you are correct, moving files and folders also move them from the storage, as well as the Catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what you're saying but that's not conducive to the issue that I have. My workflow in Lightroom has not changed in 10 years so this issue is quite recent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to close out this post, it appears to have been fixed in the latest 11.4 (June 2022) release. I probably should have posted this in the 'bugs' area so that it might have been looked at closer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines